Sign in to follow this  
xavers

Tutorial #2 - Advanced FMC Route Modificatoins

Hello,

during the flight from Tutorial 2, I am not able to do any FMC route modifications as outlined in the manual page 94ff. For instance: Trying to line select the second waypoint (TESGA) on the LEG page in order to make a shortcut by copying on top of the currently active waypoint doesn't lead any change. No error, No invalid entry, etc. The ACT RTE does not change to MOD RTE, where I can execute the modifications.

Maybe there is one difference about my approach doing the tutorial. I started from a saved flight included for the second tutorial "PMDG....before pushback". At the second attempt, I additionally loaded the according panel state within the FMC in addition to the saved flight. No change.

Next time, I will do the tutorial from the beginning (which takes very long for me as a beginner) in order to check, if the problems remain.

BTW.: Prepar3D 3.1 (same behaviour with 2.x) - latest Installers from PMDG - fully updated.

Any ideas?

Thanks & BR

Xaver Slater

Any ideas?

I know there's a bit of a prideful "I've flown a Boeing before, I know what I'm doing - just look at what I can do" sentiment, but you should start with Tutorial #1 and fly it until you're comfortable. From there, fly the entire Tutorial #2. The save files are mainly there so that people can repeat certain sections if they want to concentrate on a specific aspect of the tutorial, and not skip the section entirely.

Even I fly the tutorial flights, each and every time. Every product - PMDG's or otherwise. There's nothing gained in rushing through anything. There are no achievements, plaques, or awards.

Kyle Rodgers

I know there's a bit of a prideful "I've flown a Boeing before, I know what I'm doing - just look at what I can do" sentiment, but you should start with Tutorial #1 and fly it until you're comfortable. From there, fly the entire Tutorial #2. The save files are mainly there so that people can repeat certain sections if they want to concentrate on a specific aspect of the tutorial, and not skip the section entirely.

Even I fly the tutorial flights, each and every time. Every product - PMDG's or otherwise. There's nothing gained in rushing through anything. There are no achievements, plaques, or awards.

I think I must have flown the first tutorial at least 3 times before I felt halfway comfortable with it . 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hm. Ok. Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, I have flown Tutorial #1 more than once. As I wrote, I'm just starting with #2 - where I repeated the 1st part (until push-back) several times in oder to get comfortable with the flows. I thought, the saved flights would allow me to continue exactly where I left off. Everything works fine and in the same way as described. Only when trying to follow the Advanced FMC Route Modification examples, the FMC does not accept those entries. None of them.

I asked the question in order to find out, if I did something wrong - or - if the saved flight feature could lead to such a behavior.

Thanks

Xaver

I asked the question in order to find out, if I did something wrong - or - if the saved flight feature could lead to such a behavior.

It shouldn't, but you did note you were a beginner at this, so I felt that it was important to point out that things shouldn't be skipped. It wasn't clear to me what, exactly, you were doing in the first post.

Given the beginner nature, most of the time, it's simply an issue of workflow that causes most issues.

Kyle Rodgers

Not an issue with the saved flight.  Note that the current segment (the top or next waypoint) may not be modified in LNAV, sometimes it works but usually you have to put her in HDG SEL mode then modify the route. Once you have the changes executed you can put her back in LNAV.

I suggest after you wrap up the tutorials you try building your own routes and modify those enroute.

Dan Downs KCRP

Not an issue with the saved flight.  Note that the current segment (the top or next waypoint) may not be modified in LNAV, sometimes it works but usually you have to put her in HDG SEL mode then modify the route. Once you have the changes executed you can put her back in LNAV.

I suggest after you wrap up the tutorials you try building your own routes and modify those enroute.

So each time ATC gives you a shortcut to another FIX, you have to change to HDG SEL - modify the FMC leg - change back to LNAV? Really?

However, I tried to start the Tutorial from the beginning (COLD & DARK). During the flight legs, I had no issues to perform all kind of route modifications while remaining in LNAV mode. Everything works as anticipated. So for me, the behavior is somehow related to the use of the "saved flight" feature (or saved panel state). I do not know, if this is the case in general or with the specific saved flights included with the installation. I'll find out.

Now enjoying the approach to Innsbruck ;)

So each time ATC gives you a shortcut to another FIX, you have to change to HDG SEL - modify the FMC leg - change back to LNAV? Really?

Depends on what kind of short cut you were given. Usually it's to a fix later in your cleared route (covered in Tutorial #2, without leaving LNAV). You can't put anything in between you and the next fix, though, without some workarounds. That's what Dan is referring to.

Now enjoying the approach to Innsbruck ;)

Glad to hear it.

Reminder: full names - first and last - are required in each post.

Kyle Rodgers