Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

OOM has returned in 3.1

Hmm,

I remember having around 3-400mb free "space" even at approach to EGLL with OPENLC EU and normal settings with UTX2.1 roads . (REX 512kb clouds)

Lately i am back with OOM on the route EKCH-EGLL in the NGX and cannot figure out what has change .

ASN has been updated a couple of times but no scenery around London has been installed and not in Europe as well.

Some ORBX scenerys is installed afterwards (PNW,NCA) and i know some of them have photoscenery textures . Should these also be disabled as i recall something about photoscenery taking VAS as well

Anyone else having these symptoms ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Hi Michael

don't think i've had a OOm in 3.1.couple of NTDLL.dll ctd's though.

when i first saw your post my first thought was OOM's never went away.just slightly less chance of getting them.

Are you using hybrid mode for your orbx scenery.i'm using PNW,NCA,SCA,NRM and CRM with open LC eur and Vector and that hasn't caused OOM's for me.and since turning down the amount of MYTRAFFIC AI the NTDLL.dll has gone away.do you use Orbx Global textures or default,these will not make any difference to VAS just wondering what your  scenery setup is.I also use REX clouds(soft clouds are amazing)at 512.

what version of EGLL is it default or payware.

steve

Hi Michael

don't think i've had a OOm in 3.1.couple of NTDLL.dll ctd's though.

when i first saw your post my first thought was OOM's never went away.just slightly less chance of getting them.

Are you using hybrid mode for your orbx scenery.i'm using PNW,NCA,SCA,NRM and CRM with open LC eur and Vector and that hasn't caused OOM's for me.and since turning down the amount of MYTRAFFIC AI the NTDLL.dll has gone away.do you use Orbx Global textures or default,these will not make any difference to VAS just wondering what your  scenery setup is.I also use REX clouds(soft clouds are amazing)at 512.

what version of EGLL is it default or payware.

steve

Hi Steve

Thanks,

I am not using Hybrid mode because i saw a negativ different amount of memory with FSX and P3D2.5 . I have FTXGlobal and Aerosoft EGLL but is using openLCEU.

Sitting default at gate 217 with the NGX and fair weather with normal settings and LOD 4,5 i am at 3.0-3.1GB cold and dark. This is without GSX,FS2CREW activated. (360 degrees view and back to VC)

I used to be at 2.8-2.9GB.

At takeoff and underway from EKCH i am at 2.9-3.0GB (with FS2CREW and GSX used)

Mytraffic6 at 5% (nothing changed)

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

I am having both as well - OOM and simple CTDs. I cannot tie those to anything specific unfortunately. Most short hops work out OK, but anything longer than an hour is prone to failure. I haven't been able to complete a single flight in the Aerosoft Airbus (319). Just yesterday I tried LOWI to LTBA (Aerosoft & T2G), and right on cue on the approach P3D chrashed (right on cue because the same thing happened a day before when flying LICR-EDDM - also T2G). I am starting to suspect that P3D does not really like the Kepler chipset in my 780ti, because it sometimes fails due to errors in the Nvidia modules - and in one instance I suddenly had violet scenery all around me - turned HDR off and it was normal, HDR back on - everything tinted violet. Guess I will have to take a closer look at those 980s.

By and large the experience with P3D 3.1 is a mixed bag for me. It would be a really nice sim if it wasn't for the instability. Even more worrying is, that FSX DX10 runs perfectly. And all my sim setups are stripped down, custom builds; meaning one drive - one Windows 7 instance - one simulator with addons - and nothing else (I am using swappable drive bays). That way I am pretty sure that I can eliminate all cross compatibility issues. Or so I thought, until I caught the Creative Licensing service crashing P3D when entering the "stopped" state...

LORBY-SI

We have a lot of members fixing CTD's by updating their hardware drivers, such as USB ports and HDD/SDD's.  I personally use a program called Driver Booster which is freeware but displays nags to buy a license.  It is an easy fix to check out though and I would highly recommend those who own Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 check for updated drivers.

Secondly, OOM's still occur in P3D (and FSX, FSX-SE) and there is no doubt there is a problem with the LM/Microsoft/DTG engines that cause these OOM's.  The only solution known to mankind is a change to a 64 bit version of P3D.  We will never see it in FS9 or FSX/FSX-SE as those sims cannot be updated as the code cannot be changed.  LM may have problems changing to 64 bit as P3D is based on the FSX engine too.

Meanwhile everyone will have to suffer OOM's in P3D if (and only if), they install commercial addons from Orbx, FSDT, PMDG, Aerosoft, HiFi, etc., etc.  Most of the addons will work with conservative settings but no one wants conservative settings (including me) and that's when issues begin to occur.  Many too like their old stuff from FS9 and FS2K2 days and manually gets that stuff installed in a new simulator with different technology.  I personally have narrowed by OOM's to ASN, especially with heavy weather.  I turn it off when VAS appears to be depleting fast.  On nice clear days though, ASN is fantastic.  I found another major issue with UTX and use it with GEP3D and have modified the settings to those recommended by NickN.  It provides fantastic eye-candy, especially the night lighting.  But, it uses a lot of VAS (FPS are excellent).  I get almost 1GB more of free VAS on exactly the same scenario with UTX disabled.  It's good for short trips, those around an hour and a half with nice weather.  Longer trips are hit or miss.  I recently flew from KIAD to KJFK, normally less than an hour and a half flights, but in the Carenado P34 using ASN.  Things are great enroute until ATC begins vectoring you for a landing at JFK.  The default ATC decides it would be a fun experience for me to fly near Manhattan (and that's where I have New York City X installed) and around the city to vector me in for a landing on 22R or 22L at JFK.  ATC has no idea there are other available runways at JFK.  I always have to land on 22R or 22L when ASN is turned on (ah, those winds from the South!)....  But as I'm being vectored, I can easily watch my VAS going from a little over 1 GB to 300-400 MB's as I come in for landing at FSDT's KJFK.  Then, when landing, ATC tells me to go around and that's totally destruction of my VAS and my enjoyment of the flight.

I did several long flights from St Louis to Washington Dulles and into the blizzard we had in this area a couple of weeks ago.  Never had a successful landing and think it is an impossible feat.  These are my recent experiences anyway.  What's really new for me from the days of FSX is the fact I now employed the FSUIPC VAS utility and watch VAS a lot.  It use to be FPS was my favorite thing to watch instead of the nice scenery or eye-candy around my aircraft...

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I went though a rash of  NTDLL.dll  CTDs in V 3.1  a couple of weeks ago, which I had never had in V 2.5 and V3. I hadn't changed anything in my setup, and one day I had 3 mid flight CTDs in a row. Also saw multiple people on the P3D Facebook group complaining about the exact  same thing in the same time frame. Then just as quickly as they started, they stopped. Also the complaints of FB suddenly stopped. I am suspecting that some add on update caused it and another update stopped it. During that time I saw updates for Immersion, and a couple of others that I can't recall. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I did several long flights from St Louis to Washington Dulles and into the blizzard we had in this area a couple of weeks ago.  Never had a successful landing and think it is an impossible feat.  These are my recent experiences anyway.  What's really new for me from the days of FSX is the fact I now employed the FSUIPC VAS utility and watch VAS a lot.  It use to be FPS was my favorite thing to watch instead of the nice scenery or eye-candy around my aircraft...

Best regards,

Very informative , I really dont know why you dont use the 64bit sim , its has aged very well and its awesome ...

Very informative , I really dont know why you dont use the 64bit sim , its has aged very well and its awesome ...

The only 64 bit simulator is X-Plane.  FSX, FSX-SE, P3D are all 32 bit applications.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I personally would rather have two root canals than have to use the 64 bit sim... :wink:

• Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just did 5 test saved flights from LAM3A inbound LAM FL090 on a LAM transition to RWY27R.

Just to test if i had missed something from memory.

Daytime at 1200Z ASN date 310116

RWY27R facing taxing to facing east at A10E (tower on your right side) 

With UTX2.1 roads and UTX lights

1. test 3.446GB

2. test 3.417GB

With UTX roads but WITHOUT UTX lights

1.test 3.268GB (saving around 180MB)

2.test 3.227GB (saving around 190MB)

WITHOUT UTX2.1

1.Test 3.043GB (saving around 400MB)

So a massive different in this location. Cant recall seeing this amount before but for now i will only use roads without lights(daytime) :-)

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

We have a lot of members fixing CTD's by updating their hardware drivers, such as USB ports and HDD/SDD's.  I personally use a program called Driver Booster which is freeware but displays nags to buy a license.  It is an easy fix to check out though and I would highly recommend those who own Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 check for updated drivers.

Secondly, OOM's still occur in P3D (and FSX, FSX-SE) and there is no doubt there is a problem with the LM/Microsoft/DTG engines that cause these OOM's.  The only solution known to mankind is a change to a 64 bit version of P3D.  We will never see it in FS9 or FSX/FSX-SE as those sims cannot be updated as the code cannot be changed.  LM may have problems changing to 64 bit as P3D is based on the FSX engine too.

Meanwhile everyone will have to suffer OOM's in P3D if (and only if), they install commercial addons from Orbx, FSDT, PMDG, Aerosoft, HiFi, etc., etc.  Most of the addons will work with conservative settings but no one wants conservative settings (including me) and that's when issues begin to occur.  Many too like their old stuff from FS9 and FS2K2 days and manually gets that stuff installed in a new simulator with different technology.  I personally have narrowed by OOM's to ASN, especially with heavy weather.  I turn it off when VAS appears to be depleting fast.  On nice clear days though, ASN is fantastic.  I found another major issue with UTX and use it with GEP3D and have modified the settings to those recommended by NickN.  It provides fantastic eye-candy, especially the night lighting.  But, it uses a lot of VAS (FPS are excellent).  I get almost 1GB more of free VAS on exactly the same scenario with UTX disabled.  It's good for short trips, those around an hour and a half with nice weather.  Longer trips are hit or miss.  I recently flew from KIAD to KJFK, normally less than an hour and a half flights, but in the Carenado P34 using ASN.  Things are great enroute until ATC begins vectoring you for a landing at JFK.  The default ATC decides it would be a fun experience for me to fly near Manhattan (and that's where I have New York City X installed) and around the city to vector me in for a landing on 22R or 22L at JFK.  ATC has no idea there are other available runways at JFK.  I always have to land on 22R or 22L when ASN is turned on (ah, those winds from the South!)....  But as I'm being vectored, I can easily watch my VAS going from a little over 1 GB to 300-400 MB's as I come in for landing at FSDT's KJFK.  Then, when landing, ATC tells me to go around and that's totally destruction of my VAS and my enjoyment of the flight.

Best regards,

Dave, could you please post a link to NickN UTX settings?

P3D V3.2 has addressed a few issues in V3.1 that could cause OOMs ... I did experience two OOMs recently, one was due to the aircraft being used and the other was YMML (Orbx) after having changed locations and time/day about 4 times in one P3D V3.1 session.  As you know I use rather extreme graphics settings and many add-ons.

I resolved the YMML OOM by going to the YMML config in FTX Central and unchecking Grass, and unchecked the two level 3 vehicle density options ... this free'd up 1GB VAS ... not sure why those options would cause that (or it could be LM issue now resolved for 3.2), but problem is resolved.  But typically any V3.x compliant add-on that seems to be using high VAS it's just a matter of turning OFF a few options and see results of those changes (for those add-ons that have options).  For those add-ons that don't have any options/configuration settings, it's sometimes requires "try and see" approach (disable BGL - rename to OFF) and see what visual impact it has in addition to VAS impact.

But with that said, I rarely "fiddle" since V3.x series.  

Here are some settings that might help you out (including REX, ASN, Vector) - rarely do I see more than about 3.6GB VAS even with PMDG products on very long flights:  http://www.robainscough.com/P3D_V3.html

You can also try changing these in your Prepar3d.cfg:

[TERRAIN]

UseGlobalTerrainView=True

[sCENERY]
MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame=32

Warning: MaxRegionsPurgePerFrame can have a negative impact on FPS and might induce stutters.  Default value is 16 for P3D, I believe this value was 4 in FSX.

EDIT: I should add that if your system is having a hard time purging terrain tiles (removing them from memory) due to other settings (like FFTF too low) then VAS can grow and grow and never get properly released.  That's why it's important to balance your system and not deem FPS performance as the "best" option.  For example if your system is running Unlimited and you have a 60Hz refresh but your frame rates are always below 60 FPS, then you are maxing out processing which means that will be hard on the purge process (dumping tiles from memory).

Cheers, Rob.

I went through a problem with OOM's in 3.1 after the last ASN update.  I rolled back to the previous build of ASN - had to uninstall and reinstall then just patch to the earlier build - and most of the crashes went away....

Just my 0.02 cents.

Graham

Dave, could you please post a link to NickN UTX settings?

http://www.simforums.com/forums/setup-utx-all-versions-update-new-lights-settings_topic46147.html Look down in this topic for UTX Settings for Performance and Visuals...

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I've been suffering OOM errors in P3D V3.1 with Flysimware Learjet 35A. I recently changed my texture with those of REX4 and the performance has suffer.

I went and deleted the Shaders folder and now it is good again and my VAS hovers in the low 1Gb.