Sign in to follow this  

Airspace: how do you deal with it?

For visualising airspace have a look at this, from 13 minutes on:

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

You can visualize each airspace from FSX/P3D without any other tools in VfrFlight.

Here is the video:

I am working to include this in Vertical Profile, along the route.

Z5saYXL.jpg

As you can see, you can plan your route to fly below some restricted airspaces.

Although, it is more useful in real world flying. For example, in Poland for violating restricted airspace without clearance, you can go to 5 years to prison. Well, this is a 'dead law', usually its unintentional and ends up with admonition, but well... My instructors always said to me - remember, you can be the first one ...

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

P3D stock ATC handling airspaces in a funny way. In real life you do not have to ask permission to enter class Charlie airspace (by FAA rules) all you have to do is established a two way communication. The only airspace you must get explicit clearance is class Bravo( given that  you are on VFR flight plan).

Also In a beautiful world of airspaces there are  special use airspaces that not included in the sim. For example you don't have to call controlling agency and get clearance to fly restricted airspaces :)

I don't see any reason to bother with airspaces in the sim really. There is instrument rating in real life that make pilot life easier. Just file a IFR flight plan and don't worry about airspaces no more. If you don't get cleared, you wont have a chance to bust it :)

IMC ?

Don't really see how IMC can affect the fact that pilot may not be cleared to particular airspace.

I've been denied to enter class Delta on few occasions when ATC was overwhelmed with traffic flow. I was asked to stay outside class D and call back in XX minutes. On one occasion airport was closed due to to accident so Delta was denied for all airplanes disregard if they were on VFR or IFR flight planes.

There are also TFR (temporary flight restriction)  that pop up like mushrooms and can deprive pilot to fly anywhere at anytime unless the follow particular TFR rules..

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

You can visualize each airspace from FSX/P3D without any other tools in VfrFlight.

That looks pretty cool - I had not heard of VrfFlight. Is is possible to overlay the maps on the 3D projection?

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I don't see any reason to bother with airspaces in the sim really. There is instrument rating in real life that make pilot life easier. Just file a IFR flight plan and don't worry about airspaces no more. If you don't get cleared, you wont have a chance to bust it :)

I don't now how it is done in the US, but in EU you can do it even with VFR (well, sort of). You can check in to a Flight Information Service, which is not mandatory for VFR, but if you tell them your plans, they would inform you if there are some restricted airspaces ahead.

I just wrote 'sort of' before, because it is not a good habit. This should be part of your preparation before flight.

That looks pretty cool - I had not heard of VrfFlight. Is is possible to overlay the maps on the 3D projection?

Not yet. But I like this idea :) I will research how much work it would take.

Thanks.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1

Voxatc has a cool uk expansion pack which conforms to CAP413, the CAA radio telephony manual. With that it also does FIS, also unique things like MATZ penetrations. Airspace can get very real and very interesting, IF its coded right and used right, with the right addons ;)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png