Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] A DC-6 Narrative - Part 2

I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* buy X-Plane. Dang it... Seriously, though, I foresee a massive pain in the wallet if this aircraft is as good as it promises to be...

Thanks for the video and narrative. Curious, did PMDG  record the sound of the actual plane in flight to reproduce what was heard on the video?  Sounds great. When my sim died about a year ago I never replaced it and haven't been simming since. This model might win me over to get back into it once released.

I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* not buy X-Plane. I *will* buy X-Plane. Dang it... Seriously, though, I foresee a massive pain in the wallet if this aircraft is as good as it promises to be...

They run sales on Steam for it, and a lot of really nice stuff for XPL is surprisingly free, like this:

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/x-plane-10-hd-mesh-scenery-v3/

I'm not huge fan of the platform, but it does have its merits!

Thanks for the video and narrative. Curious, did PMDG  record the sound of the actual plane in flight to reproduce what was heard on the video?  Sounds great. When my sim died about a year ago I never replaced it and haven't been simming since. This model might win me over to get back into it once released.

This is Henning. He spent a little bit of time with the pictured DC-6 (which, if you find pictures of it online, you'll see some very obvious parallels for our house livery). More here.

dc6_driver.jpg

I'll let you draw some conclusions from there.

Kyle Rodgers

I'll let you draw some conclusions from there.

Hmmm - must be a recording of the real plane. Looks like Henning got the royal treatment and was given liberty's and the tools he would need to replicate the DC-6 the best it could be. At any rate- the model.sounds very real.

Awesome video.  Thanks for posting it!

---------------

Jim Stewart

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

What a great read! 

I seriously need this thing in FSX - the 777 and upcoming 747 are/will be nice but after all they are flown like any other modern airliner. Just imagine flying and navigating the DC-6 through the swiss alps (with the GPS turned off of course.  :wink:

• Upvote 1

What a great read! 

I seriously need this thing in FSX - the 777 and upcoming 747 are/will be nice but after all they are flown like any other modern airliner. Just imagine flying and navigating the DC-6 through the swiss alps (with the GPS turned off of course.  :wink:

Thanks!

I usually leave the GPS on the initial page where it doesn't give you much info (none if you don't have a flight plan set), just so I get the feeling of isolation that I wrote about earlier. You can see it on the moving map in the video, though, just because I'd gone blasting out of HEF for the video alone and didn't want to fuss with too much nav complication. I don't turn it off, though, since COM 1 and NAV 1 are both run through the GPS.

Took it through the Austrian Alps on a cloudy/hazy day into LOWI. Reminded me of the first time I drove through that valley between München and Niederdorf. I'll have to actually stop in the city one of these days.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks!

I usually leave the GPS on the initial page where it doesn't give you much info (none if you don't have a flight plan set), just so I get the feeling of isolation that I wrote about earlier. You can see it on the moving map in the video, though, just because I'd gone blasting out of HEF for the video alone and didn't want to fuss with too much nav complication. I don't turn it off, though, since COM 1 and NAV 1 are both run through the GPS.

Took it through the Austrian Alps on a cloudy/hazy day into LOWI. Reminded me of the first time I drove through that valley between München and Niederdorf. I'll have to actually stop in the city one of these days.

Will the GPS be the stock FSX/X-Plane/P3D/[iNSERT RANDOM FUTURE SIM] one or will it be updatable and RNAV capable? Would be quite interesting to have something more advanced as an option. Not that I'd use it... :ph34r:

And yes, I can only Imagine flying the LOC/DME into INN with the 6! I hope Austria West HD comes out soon...

Will the GPS be the stock FSX/X-Plane/P3D/[iNSERT RANDOM FUTURE SIM] one [?]

The one in XPL is the default one. I can't answer for the others.

or will it be updatable and RNAV capable?

Looks like you can update the XPL database through Aerosoft's service (according to the XPL site). Any GPS is technically RNAV capable. RNAV is the ability to go from point to point without having to rely on ground-based navaid radials. RNP is a different story, but that depends on the level, or if you're considering WAAS implemented or not. To my knowledge, the GPS in a/the sim is "perfectly accurate," so WAAS isn't really necessary, and as such could be considered "modeled." I haven't fooled around with it enough to see if it has LPV in it.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

I haven't fooled around with it enough to see if it has LPV in it.

Philipp addresses this here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/new-approach-capable-gps-navigator-in-x-plane-10-30/#comment-8516

Philipp Münzel says:

April 1, 2014 at 4:48 pm

No vertical guidance yet, as the navdata is currently lacking one field that is necessary to get the final descend to the MDA right.
Apart from that, the logic for LPV is already in, including the angular-type CDI sensitivity when switching from TERM to LPV.

Will this ever be on FSX?

The PMDG Classics DC-6B is the lead off product in a new breed of products for PMDG that will bring some "old school" aviation to our product lines for Xplane, FSX and Prepar3D.  This product will drop for XPlane first- but shortly after will release for FSX and Prepar3D as well- making it the first PMDG product to appear on three different simulation platforms.  (We count FSX and FSX-SE as a single platform...)

http://www.avsim.com/topic/463714-03mar15-pmdgs-first-product-for-xplane/

Kyle Rodgers

The PMDG Classics DC-6B is the lead off product in a new breed of products for PMDG that will bring some "old school" aviation to our product lines for Xplane, FSX and Prepar3D.  This product will drop for XPlane first- but shortly after will release for FSX and Prepar3D as well- making it the first PMDG product to appear on three different simulation platforms.  (We count FSX and FSX-SE as a single platform...)

http://www.avsim.com/topic/463714-03mar15-pmdgs-first-product-for-xplane/

What a relief thanks!

Inactive

Thanks for the interesting info. 04 March will mark the one year anniversary of the DC-6B for X-Plane announcement, with other platforms to follow. Looking back at those spectacular pics of the a/c shows a very promising product. I am looking forward to the release (soon I hope), adding it to my X-Plane hangar and flying it, of course.

Good luck.

Jim Morgan