Sign in to follow this  
Wing

Real World Weather

I'm looking for the lightest, easiest way to get real weather into P3D v3.1. I've been eyeing Active Sky Next but I really am less interested in something robust with fabulous visuals and all that, I just want a very basic way to get real-world weather set in the sim (other than doing it by hand, of course). Ease of operation and the minimum FPS penalty are my two main criteria.

I had been setting the weather manually to whatever suited my fancy, but I've just discovered PilotEdge and am very enthusiastic about it so having an easy way to bring real-world weather into the sim to match what I'm hearing on the ATIS would be awesome.

I'm looking for the lightest, easiest way to get real weather into P3D v3.1. I've been eyeing Active Sky Next but I really am less interested in something robust with fabulous visuals and all that, I just want a very basic way to get real-world weather set in the sim (other than doing it by hand, of course). Ease of operation and the minimum FPS penalty are my two main criteria.

I had been setting the weather manually to whatever suited my fancy, but I've just discovered PilotEdge and am very enthusiastic about it so having an easy way to bring real-world weather into the sim to match what I'm hearing on the ATIS would be awesome.

Active Sky Next...

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Hey, Wing. I'm sure there will be a few good suggestions, but I have to say that ASN one of the few "must have" add-ons in my book. Simple to set up yet highly tunable. Well supported by the developer. Smooth weather transitions. ASN has always been right in sync with what Pilot Edge controllers report.

• Upvote 1

Chris

I use ASN but if you want something a little lighter on fps look at FSGRW from Pilots Software.

I bought it before ASN came out and used it on Pilotedge a few years ago. Works well.

Sean Green

And don't forget OpusFSI WITH cameras and superb support and frequent UPDATES.

Chas

• Upvote 2

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I use ASN but if you want something a little lighter on fps look at FSGRW from Pilots Software.

I bought it before ASN came out and used it on Pilotedge a few years ago. Works well.

I'm running ASN on a low-end system and I don't notice much if any effect on FPS. I'm using default textures though. Sometimes it does affect performance if there are too many cloud layers, but if that happens I just switch to manual and delete a few of them, keeping the ones that matter most to the flight.

I'm running ASN on a low-end system and I don't notice much if any effect on FPS. I'm using default textures though. Sometimes it does affect performance if there are too many cloud layers, but if that happens I just switch to manual and delete a few of them, keeping the ones that matter most to the flight.

ASN has nothing to do with FPS in my opinion. It is more to do with the number of cloud layers set om ASN, and I use 3 and it looks great and realistic.  

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

ASN has nothing to do with FPS in my opinion. It is more to do with the number of cloud layers set om ASN, and I use 3 and it looks great and realistic.  

Same here. I have seen ASN affect FPS below my 30fps lock with 5 layers and 110+ mile draw distance. Setting it to 3 or 4 makes little difference visually but definitely helps the frames.

Same here. I have seen ASN affect FPS below my 30fps lock with 5 layers and 110+ mile draw distance. Setting it to 3 or 4 makes little difference visually but definitely helps the frames.

I also think draw distance of around 85 looks more realistic anyway. 

Agree ASN,

Have a look at FroogleSim's brief review of it - I was worried that there would be a steep learning curve, but Froggles video put my mind at rest.

It's a bit dated - but the principles are sound..

Eugene

And don't forget OpusFSI WITH cameras and superb support and frequent UPDATES.

Chas

Another vote for Opus - especially when it comes to performance (and the excellent DHM cameras).