Sign in to follow this  
Lude2Envy

FSX:SE Extremely Long Load Times

A few days ago my FSX:SE started taking an extremely long time to load. It lags during the splash screen, setting up the free flight menu, and once in the sim the drop down menus take forever to respond. This all started out of nowhere. I do NOT have FSX boxed installed along side it, just P3D v3.1 - which runs fine. My computer is fairly new and I do not have many addons installed in FSX:SE. I basically just use it to fly my planes and use my sceneries that aren't compatible with P3D. I've searched in several forums for a solution to the problem and so far nothing I found has worked. I am running Windows 10 Pro x64. The rest of my specs are listed in my signature. I have FSX installed on a Samsung 950 Pro which is lightning fast so load times shouldn't be taking this long. I also notice on my CPU monitor that the CPU is only under about 10-15% load during loading. It should be a lot higher. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

My FSX occasionally does this too. After selecting a  plane/ airport, it takes extremely long to load back to the initial screen. It will also sometimes come up with "Flight Simulator X is not responding", then I am forced to restart the program. I have really just worked around it. Haven't found any fixes yet.

Ethan

What else is running in the background, Web Browser, AntiVirus program?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Run Process Monitor.  See pages 4 and 5 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for more information but here's a clip -

Run Process Monitor – Another investigative tool used to pin down a situation where your application freezes, crashes, or stutters/pauses during a flight is to run a utility called Process Monitor.

To run this utility properly, you need to capture only FSX/P3D/FS9 events.  It would be nearly impossible to find a possible glitch or issue if Windows events or other system activities were being logged too.  AVSIM recommends opening of the Process Monitor when you are on the active runway and preparing to takeoff to save space on your HDD:

• Startup FSX/P3D/FS9, as appropriate, to the Setup Screen.
  • Open Process Monitor
  • Click on the Filter tab and then Filter…. 
  • Click on Architecture and scroll down to Process Name
  • Click on blank box and select FSX/P3D/FS9, as appropriate
  • Click Ok or Apply

NOTE:  AVSIM recommends you click on the filter tab again and then select ‘Save filter…’ and name your Filter – FSX (or P3D/FS9).  Then, in the future, you can startup Process Monitor before opening your application and watch what is loading as your application loads to the Setup Screen.

You can use the utility while in Full Screen mode or Windowed Mode.  In Windowed Mode you can monitor what is happening instantly but it is best to run Process Monitor in Full Screen (unless you are seeing freezes in Windowed Mode).

When the flight is finished, immediately go to the Process Monitor application, click on it to bring it into focus, and hit Ctrl+E on your keyboard to capture the events (event logging will continue until you do this and make it more difficult to locate the cause of your crash).  Shutdown FSX/P3D/FS9 and begin your investigating!  You can also save the log for future investigations but remember the file will be as large as 8GB’s or more and using valuable disk space.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I wonder if Win10 updates has caused an issue.

I haven't simmed for a good year or so and now that I'm simming again, my load times are nearly 5 minutes, used to take around 2 or less. Only thing I added is the new PMDG DC-6.

<le sigh> Will have to diagnose for several hours to try and track this issue down.