Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

American Truck Simulator

It came out today.  Planning on picking it up after work.  Anybody tried it out yet?

Sean Green

I read that it's currently only two trucks and a limited area.  I think i'll wait and pick it up in the sale, can't do without my Russian Trucks.

Ian R Tyldesley

They are supposed to release the state of Arizona for free later.  I'd imagine in a couple years they may have the entire ORBX area covered.  Not too concerned about lack of trucks just wish they had a Mack truck in the game.  My dad drove those for 18 years.

If only this company would make a flight simulator like they do a truck simulator.  

Sean Green

I plan on being a truck driver.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Rack up 7 hours in Nevada already making Elko to Jackpot runs some delivery spots are hard, but it fun to try to park them. With driving gotta make button turns because of the length of the trailer.

I hope they go from California to Nevada then Utah and Colorado, Kansas, Missouri and Illinois so you can do some long hauling from the West Coast to Chicago. It will take years to cover North America

I am curious if the Kenworth T680 has the Cummins engine as an option or just the Paccar

Matthew Kane

I drive enough as it is, I can't imagine doing it in a sim.

• Upvote 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They are supposed to release the state of Arizona for free later.  I'd imagine in a couple years they may have the entire ORBX area covered.  Not too concerned about lack of trucks just wish they had a Mack truck in the game.  My dad drove those for 18 years.

If only this company would make a flight simulator like they do a truck simulator.

Do hope to see flight physics engine injected someday because the scenery is excellent and driving around notice clouds move now. It's tourism and driving simulator they been working on it for four years right after ETS2 was released.

Someday will see merge of truck, train, flight sims, but it may take decade or two see it happening.

I peeked open ATS map editor already got objects for Arizona and New Mexico this will be good simulator.

Cant  believe its only  $19

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I, too, am waiting for some more content to be added and for the unofficial multiplayer mod to be compatible with ATS. That's what encouraged me to continue playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 as being part of a convoy with your friends is a lot more fun than being by yourself surrounded by somewhat intelligent AI, although the latter is more likely to be the case in the real world.

I picked this up on the day of release after having had Euro Truck Simulator 2 for some time. It's more or less the same thing, but here are some of my observations:

The bad:

• It's basically the same UI, same deal. If you've used ETS2 it will seem like a DLC addon.
  • Only 2 states and 2 trucks to start with. After a few hours gameplay, I'd covered most of the map and the routes became too repetitive.
  • Not very realistic on-ramps or road layout just like in ETS 2.

The good:

• The US setting. It's more detailed, cities are unique (no copy & paste like in ETS2), and it's beautiful to look at. 
  • Some minor new features like police cars which will catch you speeding, weighing stations and tumbleweed blowing across roads
  • The AI is crazy, either they won't let you out and you need to be more aggressive, or you find yourself getting annoyed at people sitting in the fast lane and then suddenly breaking. You need to be on your toes more. Whether you see this as a good thing depends on how much driving you do in real life (It's quite realistic for me).

What makes ETS2 good for me is the modding community and multiplayer. With Promods, Europe is huge and quite varied, and the ATS map upon release is tiny in comparison but makes up for it visually. For anyone who isn't from the US, you'll feel like you are driving on a movie set (especially if you stick the radio on), and it all looks recognisable from films/TV shows. There will be more states and trucks (likely paid DLC as well as free). My opinion, if you liked Euro Truck Simulator 2, and want some new scenery, go grab it.

I am also suffering from a slight addiction to trucking games (NEVER thought that would happen) and have an unhealthy number of hours in ETS2. ATS feels, just like Tony said, like driving in a movie set. I must say I am slightly disappointed at the size of the world. It feels tiny in comparison to ETS2, but it is indeed better visually. Really hope they will expand the world as soon as possible. And I'd like some more trucks as well. I am especially eyeing that Kenworth W900...

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I agree with Tony's assessment...

• It feels much more like a $20 expansion to ETS2 than a standalone product.
  • You'll notice the smaller map and wonder where all the cities are, and then see the phrase DLC and think "Uh oh."
  • Police speed traps are worse than the fixed gantry speed traps in ETS2. Fines for your transgressions seem more expensive as well. You'll need to up your game!
  • Yes, the AI cars are more aggressive at intersections - cutting out in front of you, not letting you in, etc. I was even rear-ended at a stop light (*and got charged the crash fine!)
  • Trailer parking spots have been placed in more difficult orientations. If you're a manual parking person, expect some challenges.
  • It all looks just about the same from a graphics quality perspective.
  • It is nice to drive around a non-European environment, though!
  • I have noticed some performance hitches with ATS I hadn't seen with ETS2 (occasional slowdowns and lower frames), but I don't entirely see what graphical improvements have been made to cause it. Not critical issues, but I did note them.

Summary:

• Euro Truck Sim 2 is currently priced at $22, American Truck Sim is $20. For beginners, you get more for your money with ETS2.
  • If you like ETS2, you will like ATS if you go into your purchase thinking this is an expansion pack and not a fully new game.

No classic Mack's ! What kind of Ameican Truck Simulator would not include the classic long nose Mack truck?

And no Kennworth w900. Was thinking Smokey and the Bandit type of game play would be a gas but they must not have wanted to cough up for the licensing fee's for some of the more classic trucks.

I guess I will be East bound and down until they get more classic trucks.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png