Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

American Truck Simulator

I must admit I'm new to the whole trucking experience and as an American I went out and purchased ATS. $20 pails in comparison to any P3D license so I thought I'd give it a go.To my surprise, I find I like it a lot and have become slightly addicted to it!  Since I'm new I cant compare it to ETS but I am having fun with it. Since I've never experienced other mods I find I don't miss them  :P. Looking forward to getting some mods and the AZ map.

I find I like it a lot and have become slightly addicted to it

He he, run while you can. I've put more hours into this sim that I'd like to admit

I'm quite enjoying it; but then I was a big fan of ETS2 as well. ETS2 always filled that urge to do something laid back + sim related when I only have 30 minutes to spare.

I'm thinking of picking up the big 'Heavy Equipment' wheel from Saitek, the one that's made for Farm Sim.  The old racing wheel I have is alright, but it just feels wrong to drive a big truck with it!

Small area to start with, but a nice change overall. I'm sure it will get bigger with time. The Arizona release in itself will help a lot.  I hope they extend northwards along the coast and into the Rockies.

My only serious niggle is that it seems harder to merge onto freeways in ATS - that is one short merge lane!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I've never enjoyed Paul's streaming of ETS2, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Episode 1 of ATS. Paul seems to be more "serious" with this new series. I've been involved with ProMods in ETS2 for almost two years, so haven't bothered to buy ATS yet.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No classic Mack's ! What kind of Ameican Truck Simulator would not include the classic long nose Mack truck?

And no Kennworth w900. Was thinking Smokey and the Bandit type of game play would be a gas but they must not have wanted to cough up for the licensing fee's for some of the more classic trucks.

I guess I will be East bound and down until they get more classic trucks.

Licensing of brands apparently played a major role in deciding what trucks they included - there should be more eventually: http://blog.scssoft.com/2016/01/truck-licensing-situation-update.html

Brandon Filer

Can someone advise please, what sort of spec machine is required to run this with all its bells and whistles?

Thanks

Phil

Can someone advise please, what sort of spec machine is required to run this with all its bells and whistles?

Thanks

Phil

I'm using a 6700K oc 4.7 with a 980ti at 4K resolution.

I'm running Ultra graphic settings and my frames stay at 60 which is basically my max refresh rate.  It runs really good on my system.

Now if I could just stop getting speeding tickets every 5 minutes maybe I could make some money.  I got one ticket exiting the interstate.

Sean Green

Just got it the other night, only  thing  is   that I havnt  found  it as of  yet  you cant  do  the  time  in real  time ie  the routes I  have  being  doing  are  around  the 240   m  range and   the time  I have  been  doing them  is  roughly  10  to 15  minutes   in real time  not  ats  time.  So unless there  is  a option   to do it  real time  I havnt  found  as  of  yet

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yep, the map is much more compressed and time compressed than it is in ETS. You can drive from north to south California quite quickly, whereas in ETS with ProMods the map is huge and can take a long time to get around. I've had ATS for a few days, and I've covered almost all of the map already, but in ETS with Promods which I've had for some time, I've only covered something like 10%.

Give it time though, I expect we'll be seeing map mods very soon, and ETS wasn't particularly big on day of release.

I run it on a Macbook Pro, which isn't a particularly powerful machine for gaming. It has a 2GB 650MT nvidia card, and 16GB of RAM, and I have it on high settings and it runs really smoothly for me. I haven't measured the FPS, but there doesn't seem to be any lag and it looks fantastic.

Just got it the other night, only  thing  is   that I havnt  found  it as of  yet  you cant  do  the  time  in real  time ie  the routes I  have  being  doing  are  around  the 240   m  range and   the time  I have  been  doing them  is  roughly  10  to 15  minutes   in real time  not  ats  time.  So unless there  is  a option   to do it  real time  I havnt  found  as  of  yet

The Truck Simulator world is downscaled so you are driving in real time but the drive distances are shortened and a mile is smaller. This is not adjustable. Reason is they do not have to model the entire USA at 1:1 so the map is condensed. Think of it kind of like a HO Scale Model Railway that you can fit in a much smaller space.

Matthew Kane

I'm not sure what the scale is in ATS, but in ETS2 the scale outside cities and towns is 1:19, which is pretty compressed. The sole exception is Great Britain which is 1:15 scale.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Apparently for the US it's 1:30 compared to Europe which is as Bill says.

Apparently for the US it's 1:30 compared to Europe which is as Bill says.

That would make sense because USA is a lot of area to cover

Matthew Kane

Can  ATS mods adversely affect the sim (i.e. like some addon airports consume vast amounts of VAS in FSX)?

While I'm at it, can you more experienced truckers recommend some mods that really enhance the sim?