Sign in to follow this  
sgreen91

American Truck Simulator

If you are asking about mods for ATS, I seriously doubt there is much if anything for it yet.

If you are asking about ETS2, there are TONS of mods available. Too many, to be honest...

And yes, poorly designed mods can bring either sim too their knees and even provoke CTDs, just like FSX, P3D, etc.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I've been having a good time with ATS.  I picked up a wheel spinner for $8, mounted it on my old Driving Force Pro wheel, mounted the wheel itself at approx. 30 degrees backwards to make the angle 'flatter', and it's been awesome.  Not any more awesome than ETS2 mind you, but great just the same.

The one best thing that I've learned from this discussion, however, is the existence of Promods. I've owned ETS2 for quite awhile, never knew about Promods.  Which means that once I need a break from ATS, I know what I'll be installing next...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Well if we're talking about ETS (ATS is too new at the moment), then yes, mods can/will kill performance. As much as I love Promods, RuMap, etc.., there are areas that either continually crash my computer or kill performance. Some mods are full of glitches, especially if you try and combine different mods together.

For mods, I use the following sites

http://etsmods.net/

http://promods.net/

There is also http://atsmods.net/, so keep an eye on it, there are already quite a few interesting mods appearing. Just give it time, the modding community for these sims actually puts our FS community to shame ;)

The one best thing that I've learned from this discussion, however, is the existence of Promods. I've owned ETS2 for quite awhile, never knew about Promods.  Which means that once I need a break from ATS, I know what I'll be installing next...

You will like ProMods. I've been working with the team for the past 18 months both as a moderator for their forums but as a beta tester and very occasional contributor of scenery models. They are a terrific group of guys.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You will like ProMods.

That's no lie.  It's great.   I look forward to their amazing work with ATS.  

I'm thinking of picking up the big 'Heavy Equipment' wheel from Saitek, the one that's made for Farm Sim.  The old racing wheel I have is alright, but it just feels wrong to drive a big truck with it!

I think you're probably better off with a force feedback "racing" wheel. The mid-range/high-end ones from Logitech and Thrustmaster have 900 - 1080 degrees of rotation, excellent force feedback, lots of buttons to configure. That Saitek wheel hasn't gotten great reviews and it lacks force feedback.

I'm using the Thrustmaster T150, great mid-range wheel now that Logitech has increased prices and discontinued everything except the G29.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I think you're probably better off with a force feedback "racing" wheel. The mid-range/high-end ones from Logitech and Thrustmaster have 900 - 1080 degrees of rotation, excellent force feedback, lots of buttons to configure. That Saitek wheel hasn't gotten great reviews and it lacks force feedback.

I'm using the Thrustmaster T150, great mid-range wheel now that Logitech has increased prices and discontinued everything except the G29.

I decided to stick with my old Logitech Driving Force GT.  However, the advantage of having a simpit made largely with 2x4's is that it's easily modifiable - I built a wood bracket that allows the wheel to be mounted tilted backwards somewhat, to remove the 'race car' feel of holding the wheel and give it a more realistic profile.  It's been 20 years since I've driven any semi's, but it seems nicer.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

If you are asking about mods for ATS, I seriously doubt there is much if anything for it yet.

If you are asking about ETS2, there are TONS of mods available. Too many, to be honest...

And yes, poorly designed mods can bring either sim too their knees and even provoke CTDs, just like FSX, P3D, etc.

Bill,

This fella

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaSquirrelsNuts

is closely involved with the devs and has already demonstrated some mods that he likes. It's a nice programme as is ETS. But I haven't got the time to use it plus other stuff.

There is a demo out now for ATS. Visually, this game looks amazing. Best looking driving game on PC?

There is a demo out now for ATS. Visually, this game looks amazing. Best looking driving game on PC?

As  I just got  ats  and  is very  good  visually  but  I think  f1 2013 is  right up there  for  rain effects  etc  and  driving   that's if  your into  racing  f1  that is,  but  you cant  go  past ats  though :)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

What is with the extra launch options (direct x or open gl)?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

As I just got ats and is very good visually but I think f1 2013 is right up there for rain effects etc and driving that's if your into racing f1 that is, but you cant go past ats though :)

Yes both F1 and Driveclub are great for scenery and weather effects.  I'm still looking into ATS but thanks for the heads up.

What is with the extra launch options (direct x or open gl)?

I see little point in this option for Windows users on DirectX. But OpenGL is what allows the game to work on Mac OS X (Although I'm still waiting for someone to port the multiplayer mod over).

I got SLI working by using the European version SLI tag in Inspector. Really runs great at 4k now.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png