Sign in to follow this  
daan76

upgrade or new build

Hi everyone!

I recently came back to simming after an extensive break and loving the new Prepar3d v3. I'm looking to either upgrade my existing system, make a new build or just leave it as it is and I'd like your opinion on the matter.

Right now my system looks like this:

i7 4770

GTX770 2GB DDR5 WindForce X3

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H board

32GB Kit (8GBx4) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL8 @1.5V Ballistix Tactical

Corsair Hydro H60 CPU Cooling

Samsung 500GB 840 EVO

Seasonic 550W G-Series

For an upgrade I'm looking at:

1) I7 4790k and overclock

2) optionally replacing the GTX770 with a MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G if that makes sense

Total around EUR ~1000, ~350 if only the cpu

For a new build:

i7 6700k

Asus Maximus VIII Ranger

MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G

16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 2400Mhz PC19200 CL14, 1.2V  (memory I'm not too sure on what to pick, though)

Corsair Obsidian 750D PSU

Corsair Hydro H100Ti GTX

Which would set me back, including case and 500Gb SSD, around EUR 2100

I've tried 1080p and 1440p and the latter looks so much better, so I'd prefer to make it work on 1440p.

My gut tells me the CPU upgrade alone and overclocking the 4790k will make the biggest difference and luckily is also the cheapest option :D Is it worth to replace the 770GTX? If I do decide do the upgrade, would different cooler be better or will the H60 suffice? Is the PSU enough? If it turns out I have to replace too many components in my current machine, I'd rather do a new build.

Please, what are your thoughts on this?

Regards,

Daan

The 4790 is only a meager 3% faster in single threaded explications. The 6700K would be approximately 10-15% faster depending on the application. Clearly the GTX 980Ti is the way to go for 1440P and would give you a boost in P3D.

You would be overclocking of course with your upgraded or new rig, and overclocking is linear in terms, of performance. So a 15% overclock would give you 15% more frames per second or thereabouts.

I'm upgrading from Ivy Bridge, mainly because I have to, my son is having my old PC. The attitude of many is not to upgrade or build completely new, until a few CPU generations have passed, in order to gain more bang for your buck, but that's entirely your decision of course.

We are enthusiasts though, so if I were in your position and I could afford it, looking to spend some dosh, I would gravitate toward the new platform. Other wise in a year or two you may end up feeling the urge to upgrade again.

My attitude would be do nothing or new build!

In addition to performance, the new platform offers many other advantages. M.2, U.2, USB 3.1, NFC, higher frequency DDR4 etc, etc.

Your choice though. What I do know is that everyone who's upgraded to Skylake and the GTX 980Ti here on Avsim has been happy.

For a new build:
i7 6700k
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 2400Mhz PC19200 CL14, 1.2V (memory I'm not too sure on what to pick, though)
Corsair Obsidian 750D PSU
Corsair Hydro H100Ti GTX
Which would set me back, including case and 500Gb SSD, around EUR 2100

If you go new build...

I went for GSkill Ripjaw V 3200 MHz RAM. GSkill have designed the Ripjaw V modules specifically for Skylake, extensively test them and use top-notch Samsung chips. Also available and recommended is the GSkill Trident Z.

For RAM frequency in regard to the sim, check out this post from Westman, and links to Saab340's excellent contribution...

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482685-ram-and-fsx/

As for cooling, I'm not an all in one water cooler fan, however, if I were going water I'd be going for the H110i GT, but replace the fans with Noctua fans.

The H110 with it's 280mm radiator fits in the Obsidian 750D at the top.

I'd advise you to go for the Obsidian 750D AIR though... better airflow!

If I do decide do the upgrade, would different cooler be better or will the H60 suffice?

It's not the greatest cooler in the universe. Not sure how well it would handle a decent overclock, but would probably be noisy.

For Air, I have the NH-D15S, the new high compatibility, single fan version of the D15...awesome cooler. 

Is the PSU enough?

Technically 550 watts is enough, however, to enable the PSU to spend most of it's time in it's most efficient range, and to keep PSU fan RPM down, somewhat more would be optimal. 650 Watt would be my minimal choice. 

My new Skylake build will have an Enrmax Platimax 850 Watt multi-rail PSU. I prefer multi-rail as opposed to single rail due to the lower OCP trip point on the sub rails. Less chance of damage to other PSU components if the PC goes tits up.

Thanks for your detailed answer Martin, I appreciate :) The memory post was an interesting read and thanks to saab340 for taking the time to share the results!

My first thought was a new build, but then I read a lot of people being satisfied with an overclocked 4790k and since it's half the money, I thought it was worth investigating. I mean, I can afford the new build, but spending money for close to nothing isn't what I'm looking for. I was afraid the PSU and cooler were not going to be sufficient, so if I have to add those to the mix I'd rather invest in a new build and keep my current machine for work only.

G.Skill modules seem hard to come by here for some odd reason (2+ weeks). Are there any good alternatives or is it worth the wait?

I've got the 6700K 4.7ghz 980TI Stix on Win1064x and I've seen a massaive improvement in smoothness and FPS over my 2500K @ 4.7 gtx 970. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Ron... mine is still in boxes, you're making me even more frustrated that I can't build it till the room's ready. :BigGrin:

Found the G.Skill's and went ahead and made the new build. In one word: awesome!  :dance:

Thanks for the suggestions!