Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

A tip to make it easier to use the radio landing minimum knob?

Page 85 of the tutorial reads ..."we will set the landing minimums by clicking the outer EFIS control panel MINS knob to it's radio setting" Okay. That's easy.

It continues..."clicking the RST (reset) button in the centre of the inner knob and then turning and holding the inner knob to the left to select 50 feet radio altitude- you'll see the number in the lower right corner of the PFD."

I find it difficult and fiddly to get to the required setting and am wondering if there's an easier way to reach the required setting?

Cliff

I find it difficult and fiddly to get to the required setting and am wondering if there's an easier way to reach the required setting?

Practice.

Kyle Rodgers

I find it diffcult and fiddely as well.

Often I need three or so effords because when the airplane is moving around I sometimes loose control of the minimums selector.

Maybe we are doing something wrong though....I allways just drag with the mouse and never tried using the mouse wheel for example....dont remember if that even works.

But if I am not mistaken you can select a keyboard "key press" to this function in the 777 MCDU options.

For instance the "D" for down and "U" for up.

Just make sure (to avoid conflicts) that these keys presses are not used by FSX, or by any other addon that you use, already!

Rob Robson

How long do you have to set the minimums? 8-10-12 hours. Surely you can handle it in that length of time even if it is fiddly.

Also in the FMS settings you have the option to use the standard knob rotation you find in the NGX, which is somewhat more ergonomical seeing as you're doing it with a mouse rather than your actual hand.

Practice.

Can you try and be more succinct in your answers please Kyle? :P

Can you try and be more succinct in your answers please Kyle?

haha - I tried in the other (gate) thread and failed  :P

Kyle Rodgers

How long do you have to set the minimums? 8-10-12 hours. Surely you can handle it in that length of time even if it is fiddly.

Everybody uses his sim in different ways.

I dont do real time long haul flights.....actually, I never even cruise or if I mustt then in fast fwd mode.

I mainly like to do take off and departures and approaches, landings and go arounds.

So I have to set minimums a couple of times every 1-3 hour sim session.

Try setting a 1360 baro minimum, follwed by a 200 minimum, followed by an 800 minimum...etc....it gets fiddely!

But that is besides the point, all we are trying to do is come up with ways to make things easier....your answere helped nothing.

Also in the FMS settings you have the option to use the standard knob rotation you find in the NGX, which is somewhat more ergonomical seeing as you're doing it with a mouse rather than your actual hand.

I have changed to that already as well and I agree that it is easier to use. Good one!

Rob Robson

your answere helped nothing.
It wasn't intended to help.

It wasn't intended to help.

So why get involved if you've got nothing sensible to add or constructive help to give?

I prefer the 777 realistic mode to the optional NGX-like mode.. just get used to the way it works. Dragged a short distance from the hotspot it moves in increments of 1's but drag a little further and it moves in increments of 10's. Very handy when going from the coast to Denver where CAT 1 mins are above 5500 feet.  This is a real pain in the NGX.

As said, get used to it and it works for you.

Dan Downs KCRP

I didn't read the rest of the post (probably someone mentioned it before).

Go to PMDG setup in the FMC-> Options-> Simulation page 3/7

Set minimus and baro knobs rotary instead of realistic which is the default setting. 

It's not that difficult in the realistic either, still kinda easier when rotary, I'm using rotary as well. (If you are using EZDOK like I do, create a custom cockpit camera and deselect RND and DHM as well as the Z and mainly use this camera when flying. This makes controlling the MCP easier, using the scratchpad easier, Setting the minimus easier and generally a LOT of stuff easier. I usually use a camera configured with the pre-mentioned options only when flying manually for more realism. )

If course  the easiest for high minima is simply to use the FMC to set it instead of holding down that knob for minutes ;)

Works like a charm!

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Sorry, how is that done? You can't set the MDA/DH in the FMS in the 777 to my knowledge.

I too would be interested to know how to use the FMC to make this setting

Cliff