Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

OOM ERROR

Hi

I have 16Gb Ram with an I7 processor

FSX-Steam, 64bit Windows 7

Since I have installed the PMDG 777-200 & 300 I am experiencing problems with OOM (maybe this is a coincidence) Previous I only had the PMDG 737-800 installed.  I have not experimented yet taking out the B777, would this make any difference in the amount of VAS used?

I am reading and implementing the PMDG and Word Not Allowed's reccommendations.  i am using "Process Explorer" to monitor my VAS use

A couple of question in mind

Does RAAS  have any effect on VAS

If I delete all aircraft models not used would this save on VAS

Does not having a Pagefile help with OOM errors?

Does Networking utilities save on VAS useage?

I use

ORBX global and vector textures

REX 4 with soft clouds

UK2000 sceneries

ASN

TOPCAT

PFPX

FSTRAMP (high VAS use??)

FSCOMMANDER

The last two utilities are simialr,in respect of moving map display which one is best in terms of VAS use?

Clive Alexander

Since I have installed the PMDG 777-200 & 300 I am experiencing problems with OOM (maybe this is a coincidence) Previous I only had the PMDG 737-800 installed.  I have not experimented yet taking out the B777, would this make any difference in the amount of VAS used?

There's an entire section in the Intro Manual of the 777 devoted to helping you out here. Please read it.

Does RAAS  have any effect on VAS

If I delete all aircraft models not used would this save on VAS

Does not having a Pagefile help with OOM errors?

Does Networking utilities save on VAS useage?

• Very little
  • Absolutely not (and it will actually cause more issues with the sim if you delete default models)
  • Not at all
  • No

I suggest you really look into the Intro Manual description of VAS. It'll really help you figure out what it is, exactly, as it seems many in the community don't quite get it.

Increasing RAM won't help.

Increasing HD space won't help.

Adjusting the page file won't help.

Doing the OOM dance won't help.

FSX (and therefore FSX:SE) are 32-bit containers. As you fly a flight, that container is filled with the aircraft you load in, all the scenery you load in (and fly over), the cloud textures, and so on. If the bucket overflows, the program crashes. There isn't a thing you can do about that apart from being mindful about what you put into that bucket...and, unfortunately, FSX is pretty terrible at scooping some of the scenery you're not using out of that bucket after you've left it 6 hours behind you.

Looking at your list, your heavy hitters are:

[The 777]

ORBX Global + Vector (that one is huge

REX 4 (also pretty big, especially in cloudy weather, and even more so if you're using HD cloud textures)

UK2000 sceneries can also be pretty VAS heavy

[Your ASN settings, if you're using more cloud layers and larger cloud draw distances can affect VAS use, especially if REX installed HD textures]

Things that don't have an effect at all:

TOPCAT

PFPX

^ both fully external programs

Kyle Rodgers

Hello

I am reading the Introductory  manual regarding OOM and VAS.  I have taken the opportunity to monitor the VAS useage using FSUIPC.  I have entered in the logging section 024C and Type S32 and read the amount of VAS on the title bar

The amount of VAS in Kb shown on the title bar differs from the reading in "Process Explorer"

Why is this?

Clive Alexander

Found the solution

The amount of VAS shown in the title bar is the amount remaining and the amount of VAS shown in Process Explorer is the amount used.

The amount of VAS in Kb shown on the title bar differs from the reading in "Process Explorer"

Why is this?

That's a question for the guys who made those programs.

Kyle Rodgers