Sign in to follow this  
VeryBumpy

Another 4k maybe new monitor thread

I have a 37 inch 1080p with 560GTX Ti and i5 at 4.4Ghz now. Runs fine enough with a decent amount of AA. I am not interested in 21:9 ultra wide screens, I'm just not.

My main reason for a new monitor is I'd like to be able to read the numbers and text on the instrument cluster when in VC view without having to zoom in or switch to zoomed in view all the time.

Ideally I wish there was something in like a 2560x1440 37 inch monitor but best as I can tell, that does not exist.

I would buy a 40 - 45 inch 4k monitor but there are several things I question....

1. how bad/good does a 4k 40 inch monitor look at less than native resolution? i.e. if frame is too low at native res and I want to drop down
  2. my 560Ti can't output 4k, would a $190 GTX960 be good enough for 4k with some AA?
  3. is it true, 4k requires 2 cables?
  4. Is it true, 4k only works at 30hz max?
  5. will a 4k monitor allow me to read the gauges well without zooming?

Thanks for any input.

I have the Vizio M-Series 43" 4K and love it.  It took me a while to get used to it since it's a bit like sitting in the front row of a movie at first.  But after a week or two, I got used to it.  I do use a program called Display Fusion to split it up into two 1,920 x 2,160 virtual monitors.  This lets me maximize a window on left or right half of monitor, switch a window from left side to right side, separate task bars for each side, etc.  Essentially allows one big monitor to behave like two separate monitors.

I run it at full native resolution all the time, with and old i5-2500K and GTX 970 with no problems.  Not sure about GTX960.

One HDMI cable

My monitor is capable of 30hz or 60hz but some old ones may only do 30hz.  60hz creates some visual artifacts that affects text colors, so I leave it at 30hz, which works fine for FS.  I don't play first person shooters so not sure if 30hz would be bad for those.  If so, could easily switch back and forth between 30 and 60 when needed although 60mhz might affect frame rates.

Yes, can read small gauges without zooming.

I would buy a 40 - 45 inch 4k monitor but there are several things I question....

how bad/good does a 4k 40 inch monitor look at less than native resolution? i.e. if frame is too low at native res and I want to drop down

Will depend on the particular monitor. 1080 FSX looks very soft on my Samsung 4K TV.

You would probably be better looking to drop the refresh rate of the monitor to 30Hz rather than reduce resolution.

my 560Ti can't output 4k, would a $190 GTX960 be good enough for 4k with some AA?

Maybe just, with FSX not with P3D.

I would think GTX970 minimum.

is it true, 4k requires 2 cables?

Not true.

Is it true, 4k only works at 30hz max?

This was the case about two years ago but not now.

Monitor needs to have HDMI2 or DisplayPort inputs to do 4K 60Hz.

will a 4k monitor allow me to read the gauges well without zooming?

Should do but will also depend on screen size.

Bigger screen should mean easier to see.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Bought a 50inch Vizio 4k.

Holy cow! Gaming is impressive again. Such excellent bright colors and super crisp graphics. Don't even need AA in most games cause the res is so high.

Few FSX issues noticed but only with my payware Concorde X; VAS over limit is hit more easily and font size of instruments are over-sized if Win10 scaling is more than 100%.

I'm amazed that all other games are very fast at 4k res with all gfx settings maxed out. Even DCS fully maxed out is >35 fps.

Overall, very happy with my 4k purchase, highly recommend a 4k if you have the horsepower to run it.

Overall, very happy with my 4k purchase, highly recommend a 4k if you have the horsepower to run it.

Good to hear, enjoy,

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.