Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

Why LM still recommends Windows 7 for P3D V3?

I ran Prepar3D first on Win7, then on Win 8.1 and now on Win 10. Upgraded without a fresh install and having no issues so far on Win 10. This is with P3D 3.1, most of ORBX, Pro ATC/X, ASN, many tools and a GTX 970. If I can help with issues, PM me. 

Hans

Is anyone else having trouble with Ezdok crashing numerous times in event viewer in Windows 10? If there is a fix I need it. Makes me want to go back to W7

Kevin Humphryes

Agree and so are comments about Target Market and some tenuous relationship to Windows 7 "Enterprise" which is (to quote wiki):

Since LM have multiple versions being sold to the public via their web site, there is no relationship to Windows 7 enterprise volume licensing as a target market ... I know where is going, please no EULA discussions.

Cheers, Rob.

That's.....not where I am going. Sigh.

I'm only contributing my one and only possible reason on why Windows 7 is the recommended platform based on the prevalence of Windows 7 (any version of Windows 7) in companies and academics today. I really have no interest or energy for end user license discussions, or this discussion for that matter. Certainly, I am wrong on this, but I just wanted to throw one reason out there.

You can always try out Windows 10 for a month and revert back if you don't like it..  I can see certain reservations for Windows 7 users moving over but not from those on 8..

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I finally upgraded to 10 last week with a clean install. Navigating the OS is very laggy compared to 7. I am getting terrible performance in After Effects and Cinema 4D. I am currently looking for solutions.

P3Dv3 with Orbx/BlueSky/ASN/REX/A2A is running splendidly, however. That's all that matters, right?

:P

You can always try out Windows 10 for a month and revert back if you don't like it..  I can see certain reservations for Windows 7 users moving over but not from those on 8..

There are many reports of people installing 10, and tried to roll back to 7, and it didn't work. They were forced to do a fresh install of 7 in order to get back to where they were. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can now confirm it! Do not try to go back to W7 from W10 I lost everything! Ouch

Kevin Humphryes

I can now confirm it! Do not try to go back to W7 from W10 I lost everything! Ouch

Some people have successfully rolled back, others not so lucky. That's why I am sticking with W7, just isn't worth the gamble to me. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

10 takes it to unparalleled extremes.

I certainly agree with that!  With a little work most if not all can be disabled, but I really loathe what MS did, even though I know why the did it.

With that out of the way... I waited about 8 months or so before installing Windows 10, long enough for others to use us with Flight Sim.  I really love Widows 7 so I was in no hurry to make the switch.  Eventually something non-flight sim related all but forced me to update to Win 10 and thus far I've been extremely happy with it (save for how admin accounts and permissions work). It's very smooth and the OS and drivers load very quickly, and has been 100% compatible with everything on my system including flight sim and all my FS addons (substantial number of addons).

Happy Flights!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

There seem to be rather mixed views and experiences around the forums about the benefits or otherwise of Win 10.

I note that many posters do not specify which version of Win 10 they are using, but  I suspect most users will be on the Home version. This means they have no effective control over updates, which may well include unwanted driver changes, or other  MS bloatware.  Even the professional versions of Win 10 only offer limited control. It's quite possible that systems which are currently running P3D smoothly may not be doing so in a few months time.

I know many of us run overclocked and specially set up computers, dedicated to simming, and these can be very sensitive to software changes.  There seem to be few good reasons to change from Win 7 at the moment, and I am surprised that so many people are prepared to hand over control of their flight sim computers to Microsoft.

I must find out how to add a signature.

John B

John B

There seem to be rather mixed views and experiences around the forums about the benefits or otherwise of Win 10.

I note that many posters do not specify which version of Win 10 they are using, but  I suspect most users will be on the Home version. This means they have no effective control over updates, which may well include unwanted driver changes, or other  MS bloatware.  Even the professional versions of Win 10 only offer limited control. It's quite possible that systems which are currently running P3D smoothly may not be doing so in a few months time.

I know many of us run overclocked and specially set up computers, dedicated to simming, and these can be very sensitive to software changes.  There seem to be few good reasons to change from Win 7 at the moment, and I am surprised that so many people are prepared to hand over control of their flight sim computers to Microsoft.

I must find out how to add a signature.

John B

Want to live in the "Twilight Zone", have an OS that decides to change your drivers in the middle of the night, and the next morning your flight sim won't work.  :fool:

Want to live in the "Twilight Zone", have an OS that decides to change your drivers in the middle of the night, and the next morning your flight sim won't work.  :fool:

Non issue via a simple setting ;-)

André

Non issue via a simple setting ;-)

Until MS decides to change it "again". 

Until MS decides to change it "again".

But if you have updates blocked, then even if MS does change it, the change wouldn't populate to one's system - unless I'm missing something.

Also, there is a tool available to uninstall and block (they call it "hide") updates that one finds to cause problems.

I dunno, may be this is just getting used to a new OS? 

Best wishes to all!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.