Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

Why LM still recommends Windows 7 for P3D V3?

I had Win 8 on my main dev system the day it came out, been using it on other systems in beta. Boost in overall performance and massive decrease in boot up time. I couldn't wait to get off of Win 7 for development, too much time wasting. Drivers were pretty good from the outset with Win 8, even for some obscure stuff, but there were some flakey components around for a time. That mainly got sorted out during upgrading to Win 8.1 and then finally on to Win 10. We don't see many Win 10 drivers for older stuff since Win 10 is built to run those Win 7/8 drivers well. Another PC right here, still has Win 7 on it, seems badly aged now I'm on Win 10. I liked Win 8, Win 8.1 so-so, now up to Win 10 and brings a kind of familiarity from Win 7 days. Even so, there have been a few problems around going to Win 10, maybe some USB issues, a lot of which were cured a few months back with the first Win 10 patch. If you upgrade from Win 7 or 8 with dodgy permissions or registry edits, expect to lose those edits and maybe find permissions issues down the line. So go ahead with Win 10, it should be OK, but be prepared for issues.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Make sure everyone keep's their tin foil hat on! 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The bottom line is that only about 10% of windows users are using windows 10. That should tell you something right there.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Windows 10 is great, left 7 years ago and no looking back.

If your sim PC is your main PC, I see no reason not to upgrade to 10 for all the improvements.  If you have a dedicated PC only running the sim in a garage or basement, sure, why bother upgrading?

Most large organisations take their time before going to a new OS. There are security issues and 100s of apps that need to be tested before converting.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Until MS decides to change it "again". 

Non sense if you don't have the knowledge it's wise to be silent ;-)

André

Actually Microsoft can change those settings any time they desire, with any simple update. It could be buried inside an update that's absolutely critical for security reasons, and you wouldn't know it. They do stuff like that all the time.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Actually Microsoft can change those settings any time they desire, with any simple update. It could be buried inside an update that's absolutely critical for security reasons, and you wouldn't know it. They do stuff like that all the time.

Well I don't have a problem as described above Ed and you have always a choice ;-)

André

I listen to a show almost everyweek that discusses windows by these  people, but then I guess you know more than they do   :nea: .  https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

https://www.thurrott.com/

And they have been known to do that many times. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The bottom line is that only about 10% of windows users are using windows 10. That should tell you something right there.

Windows 10 has only been out for 6 months.

Windows 10 has only been out for 6 months.

And it is free ( for now), so if it were so great, don't you think that more than 1 out of 10 people would have installed it? 

There seem to be rather mixed views and experiences around the forums about the benefits or otherwise of Win 10.

I note that many posters do not specify which version of Win 10 they are using, but I suspect most users will be on the Home version. This means they have no effective control over updates, which may well include unwanted driver changes, or other MS bloatware. Even the professional versions of Win 10 only offer limited control. It's quite possible that systems which are currently running P3D smoothly may not be doing so in a few months time.

I know many of us run overclocked and specially set up computers, dedicated to simming, and these can be very sensitive to software changes. There seem to be few good reasons to change from Win 7 at the moment, and I am surprised that so many people are prepared to hand over control of their flight sim computers to Microsoft.

I must find out how to add a signature.

John B

Actually, Windows 10 Pro gives you complete control over updates with a modification of Local Group Policy, a troubleshooter and a small batch file. If you, or anyone else, is interested, I'll post it. MS has to know about this. If they wanted to stop the workaround, one thinks they would have done so.

I listen to a show almost everyweek that discusses windows by these  people, but then I guess you know more than they do   :nea: .  https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly

https://www.thurrott.com/

And they have been known to do that many times. 

Well gentlemen then you are installing and uninstalling drivers a lot...

Out of respect I leave at this and pretending that I do know here local at least installing what I want on my scary win 10 box ;-)

You could use for example wushowhide.diagcab and a few other tools plus gpedit.msc or create a few keys in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Or if you want to have a click and point tool

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

André