Sign in to follow this  
Cargostorm

Why LM still recommends Windows 7 for P3D V3?

I always feel so "alone" when we have Windows 10 complaints...

It has been the best Windows for me, basically ever, and I've been around since 3.1 days

Hopefully the Summer 2016 update makes things better for folks that are having issues!

• Upvote 2

I always feel so "alone" when we have Windows 10 complaints...

It has been the best Windows for me, basically ever, and I've been around since 3.1 days

Hopefully the Summer 2016 update makes things better for folks that are having issues!

I've just purchased v3.2.3 a few minutes ago, and like you run Windows 10, and as LM have assured on their website, it will run okay on W10, I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Like you I too started with W3.1, and touch wood, to date have not had any issues with W10 I could not deal with myself.

Microsoft are being more aggressive with forcing Win10 updates, they will now "schedule" a date (usually about 3-5 days ahead) when they just start the update process without your interaction. To cancel the scheduled update, you have to do that at the time you get the Windows Update message, don't just close the message as that does NOT cancel the scheduled update.

This is what happened to me, and is worth noting if you don't want to upgrade.

I can't say I've had any other problems including the mentioned File Explorer taking time to open with USB devices attached.

I'm tempting fate, but one thing Win7 often did for me that Win10 does not, was apps Not Responding on a regular basis. I had it from day1 with W7 but so far everything opens and runs very quickly with W10.

So far so good for me.

I'm keeping fingers crossed.

Zero issues with P3D3.2 under Win10 here, so I would not worry too much.

• Upvote 2

Microsoft are being more aggressive with forcing Win10 updates, they will now "schedule" a date (usually about 3-5 days ahead) when they just start the update process without your interaction.

Surely they are on dodgy legal ground with that, Robert? Giving permission for automatic updates is (IMO) not the same as giving permission to completely replace your operating system. Someone needs to kick Microsoft up the backside for this kind of thing. It really isn't acceptable.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Surely they are on dodgy legal ground with that, Robert?

I doubt it - I'm sure it's all covered deep within the huge legal amount of legal documentation we agree to when we install Windows.

Microsoft isn't dumb.

Oh, I am sure that they are covered on paper. It doesn't make it right though.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

for other everyday computing it gets my vote

ditto, here too.

Oh, I am sure that they are covered on paper. It doesn't make it right though.

I agree, and it ruined my Sunday with the family. I was not able to leave the house until it had finished and I was sure I had not lost everything.

As it happened all was fine, but I didn't know that for a couple of hours.

Well, despite some negativity here for Win 10, I took the plunge a month or so ago.

Running a home cockpit now with two Win 10 computers (Flightsim, Displays), and a third Win 7 laptop attached to the CDU.

Using Prepar3ed v3.2.3 (of course!) for the sim. I upgraded OS before the v3.2.3 installation.

I really like Win 10 - boots quickly (running a SSD on both computers for OS). I've got a LOT of USB devices - Pokeys cards etc, probably a dozen USB devices connected to the main PC - and so far everything seems stable there.

I'm a big fan of Windows 7, but I'm glad I made the change. The only thing I have had any problems with so far is the FDS CDU, which I couldn't get to work with Windows 10. Not saying it doesn't, but I got bored after twenty minutes and just hooked it up to the old Win 7 laptop and it works great so I've left that! This Win 7 laptop networks with the Win 10 machines (via Prosim) without any problems, by the way.

None of my other hardware  - CP flight MCP/EFISes, Saitek radios (w/ Spad driver), various Goflight panels and a bunch of Pokeys cards - seems to mind Win 10 at all. I was previously using a Vri Insight MCP, and that also worked without any dramas.

• Upvote 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I'm a big fan of Windows 7, but I'm glad I made the change

Same here, but substitute 'I made' for 'forced' :P

Win7 is a great OS... but I think Win10 is too.

Over the years I have generally skipped every other OS with great success, and that continues here.... From Win 98 to WinXP... from XP to Win 7... and from Win 7 to Win10.

I think Microsoft pushing Win10 so aggressively does more harm than good. Those who are skeptical will just become more hesitant to upgrade when they are constantly harassed. You can't convince people to update by constantly nagging them. Those who want to upgrade will have done so already. A friendly *one-time* reminder that the upgrade is free would have been enough. I don't think anyone has missed that the upgrade is free...

Personally I think Win10 is great. I don't like the default white-on-white "snow blindness" theme, but the dark theme in the anniversary edition should fix that. I don't understand why anyone would want to stay on Win7 with its inferior thread management, lower performance, longer boot up time etc. or WIn8 with its horrible abomination of a tablet GUI blown up on your 27" screen, but that's up for each person to decide for themselves.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I think MS is smart to try to get people on the latest platform.

If they leave some behind who refuse to adapt, they probably think "so be it".  Ultimately features will come along that are Windows 10+ only and people will choose to upgrade themselves, or perhaps they'll get a new machine with Win10 on it already and the problem will solve itself.

They need to what's best for their platform moving forward - Very understandable.

I don't understand why anyone would want to stay on Win7 with its inferior thread management, lower performance, longer boot up time etc.

You can only determine that if you install Windows 10, but why mess with a perfectly working Windows 7 system? That's the part I don't understand.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You can only determine that if you install Windows 10, but why mess with a perfectly working Windows 7 system? That's the part I don't understand.

Everything moves on, and you'll all update eventually, if not to Win10 then to Win11. Its all part of using the PC platform and accepting things move on.

WinXP was lovely but I had to move to Win7 eventually, and who here would say that was a bad move?

• Upvote 1

Suits me to stay with Win7 proobaly for next 10-15 years.

lol - ok

I'd bet some money you'll probably not do that...