Sign in to follow this  
Ron Attwood

New Zealand Sheepfest.

Around and among the Southern Alps Mountains. NZQN,Orbx does a lovely job!

First stop Glenorchy(NZGY Alt: 1255ft 2018 grass(keep an eye out for sheep.)) we can either go straight there over the mountains or take the scenic route around Lake Wakatipu. There are a couple of unlisted strips on the way if you can find them NZ153 on the right and NZ154 on the left.

From Glenorchy we'll have to wend our way to NZ155. This strip isn't shown on Plan G so I've given a 'thereabouts' on the flight plan. After repairs to undercarriages and bent props, another 'wend' to Milford Sound(NZMF Orbx strikes again!) Alt: 846ft 2598 bitumen).

Head up the sound from Milford towards the ocean, hang a right(or do you make a right?) to Martins Bay (NZMJ 2000ft, Dirt).

More coastal patroling to Haast(NZHT 2300ft 'hard surface'(it says!)) Turn inland and follow the river upstream till we come to a T junction; turn right then left till we get to Makarora (NZMW) 3000' grass.(keep sheep in mind.)

Almost there. Penultimate stop is Pukaki(NZUK Alt: 1575ft 3441ft bitumen) and finally NZZGT,(1800ft 3166 bitumen) Glentanner. Where a cheese and wine party will be laid on for survivors.

This is only 200 miles with, depending on your bent, approximately 8-10 stops.

Low 'n' Slow is the way to go. :smile:

My choice is a Sibwings BirdDog. Your mileage may differ.

Flight Plan

Apart from checking whether NZ155 exists in the sim(it does) and whether it's landable (it is), I haven't flown this route. I like surprises.

Sorry about all the brackets.

One last thing. The two links for NZUK and NZMJ are freeware airports from FlightSim.com. I haven't installed them so I can't comment on them.

Note to me. Please set the server to an appropriate time.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Did someone delete my post??  :sad:

Yes me. It was in very bad taste. Kidding, kidding. There was something weird going on. I posted this on Wednesday and although I don't expect people to hang onto my every word, there were NO views until late yesterday but 7 downloads of the flight plan. Woooo!

Saturday 1900 right?

That's correct. 1900Z. Come early, there are some nice toasted teacakes on offer.

No problem, Ron.  I'll be there with bells on.

Ahah! A fellow Morris dancer. :dance:

NO views until late yesterday but 7 downloads of the flight plan

View numbers on this forum don't seem to populate until 1 person has replied, until then they stay zero indefinitely. Weird eh?

spacer.png

Would love to join up in my favourite part of the world. I know the area very well but I'm visiting our Harvey this weekend ;-)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

I'm starting to feel as though I'm in an Agatha Christie play. :Nail Biting:

A few shots from yesterday's "Kiwi Hunt" / "Sheep Shearing Session" (say that 3 times fast!) on New Zealand's south island. The flight ended up short of the final destination due to the sun going down. A bunch of us had problems getting into these airports, either not able to see them, or just having aircraft handling problems. The added go-arounds took time away, no problem as it is - "To Be Continued".  :good: 

The flight's namesake... There must be sheep somewhere! Gunter coming into NZGY (Glenorchy) in his Auster Autocrat as future lamb chops (w/ mint jelly.. YUMMY) look on.

SS_06Feb16_133223_NZGY.jpg?dl=0

Stew just about ready to touchdown and slap it into beta.. In the background - Ron & Josh in Bird Dogs, Gunter in the Autocrat & Jeff in the C185.

SS_06Feb16_133502_NZGY.jpg?dl=0

Just STUNNING! That's me in the "cute" little Corby Starlet CJ-1. Don't let the looks fool you, it's a wolf in "Sheep's" clothing. (More later)

SS_06Feb16_134546_NZGY.jpg?dl=0

A lot of us had problems @ NZ155 (Deadmans Track) . The "so called" runway was EXTREMELY bumpy leading to some, ahhh, rare sights. Others had problems getting slowed to even land. The approach is visually confusing to say the least. This little airport get's my vote to escape and live there. Beautiful scenery!

Gunter showing what happens here.

SS_06Feb16_135156_NZMF.jpg?dl=0

Josh having the same problem. Yes... It is that bumpy!

SS_06Feb16_135304_NZMF.jpg?dl=0

Stew getting it down kicking up spots of dirt as he skips across the moguls. Jeff is out there somewhere..   :p0504:

SS_06Feb16_135550_NZMF.jpg?dl=0

Over the top before diving down to intercept highway SH94 for the approach into NZMF (Milford Sound). The little bugger, being an "Experimental" aircraft got just that. Many moons ago I swapped out the Jabiru 2200 (85 hp) for a more reliable, less flight restrictive, and much more powerful UL Power UL350iS. (130 hp) . She climbs like a bat-outa-h-e-double hockey sticks and can only use 60% power in level flight. The battery, along with a storage area has been moved to the tail to offset the increased 30 lbs of the new powerplant. Many times the storage area holds a 15 pack of Fosters on ice for further CoG balancing.

SS_06Feb16_140739_NZMF.jpg?dl=0

Undecided where to land I ended up at NZ272 (Jerusalem Creek/Big Bay) while the others went to NZMJ (Martin's Bay Lodge). Both are difficult to find in the waning daylight with NZ272 being well, I believe closed. The runway, so called apron and repair facilities are all grown over with vegetation. The gent on the bench doesn't seem to want to correct it anytime soon. LOL! My kind of place!

SS_06Feb16_143902_NZMJ.jpg?dl=0

Jeff, bringing in the Twin Otter dash 3 after switching from the "troublesome" C185. Nice!

SS_06Feb16_151451_NZWF.jpg?dl=0

Ron doing a three pointer as VFR "day" rules are now negated. 2 others on the way in, most likely Gunter in a new aircraft, the BN Islander, and Stew in his Porter.

SS_06Feb16_151901_NZWF.jpg?dl=0

Gunter with a nice landing to finish the, ummm, day.

SS_06Feb16_152124_NZWF.jpg?dl=0

Stew really had a difficult time finding the actual strip. This was about the 3rd go around so we all helped out by lighting it up. The following approach was a success.

SS_06Feb16_152417_NZWF.jpg?dl=0

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

There are people out there, reading that pictorial report and saying 'Man, I just gotta join those guys online!'

On the subject of the bumpy runway, I flew a recce into it and landed just fine. One thing changed between times...I installed ASN! I'm wondering if there's a fight for supremacy between ASN and AccuFeel. Will play with it.

Great report Roman. I don't know how you do it, foteegraffin' an' flahing an' all.

Thanks for the photos, Roman.  Funny--I was flying a New Zealand register Porter, not the Susi Air version.  My Susi Air version is on the freeware version of the Porter.  I guess you must have that version installed...

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"