Sign in to follow this  
Bjoern

Mods for Dave Maltby's BAC 1-11

The unmodified version used FS9 starter code which is different from FSX starter code.

Check that your default flight situation has the fuel tank selector set to "all".

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

The unmodified version used FS9 starter code which is different from FSX starter code.

Check that your default flight situation has the fuel tank selector set to "all".

Bjoern, thanks so much!   That was it--the parameter was set to "left".   I changed it to "all" and that fixed the issue.  People like you who help FSX users and make improvements are what make this such a great hobby!   I had no idea there was such a setting in the default flight, let alone how the heck it could have gotten set to "left".

Back to my regularly scheduled flight....

David Norman Paul

You can define any flight as the default flight. Any aircraft loaded from the default flight will inherit the default's system and avionics status, unless the plane has some custom gauge logic to configure it prior to usage.

In the meantime, I've rewritten the fuel system logic since I only could get it to draw from all tanks. Dave's approach was a bit extensive for the task and I've achieved what he intended to do with less code. Now it will be possible to have each engine independently draw from its wing or center tank. Still need to implement crossfeed though.

Before I roll this update out, however, I'm also going to revamp the load/save system a bit.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident?  That is my favorite of his planes.

David Norman Paul

I've rolled out another update.

Highlights:

- Recoded fuel system

- Autosave for all custom variables

- Fixed specularity in 500 and 510ED series cockpits

- Much more realistic spool curves for the engine

- APU and avionics fan sounds

Download, as usual here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMRzZ3UEFCemw5aDg/view?usp=sharing

Save for all aircraft.cfg files and the sound.cfg from the new folder, I think you can safely overwrite any old files during installation.

Or edit your old aircraft.cfgs. Changed lines (with their new values) are: "fuel_flow_gain= 1.0" and "number_of_tank_selectors=2".

- Edit:

I've assembled Dave's paintkit as distributed by him and organized it as actually used by the model files. The files are shipped with today's upgrade package in xcf (Gimp) and psd (Photoshop) format. With a bit of careful image filter application, I think it might even be possible to simply double the resolution of each texture and thus paint higher quality liveries.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident?  That is my favorite of his planes.

The Trident is way outside of my area of interest for at least 500000 reasons.

Small public service announcement: If you do not wish to store any shared textures for the 1-11 in FSX\Texture, create a texture.cfg with the following content and add it to every repaint:

[fltsim]
fallback.1=..\..\DMFS Shared Files\Texture

The create a "Texture" folder in "DMFS Shared Files" and copy the following textures into it:
111ENG_L.dds
111EXTRA_L.dds
111FUSE_1_L.dds
111FUSE_2_L.dds
111FUSE_3_L.dds
111FUSE_4_L.dds
111Tail_L_L.dds
111Tail_R_L.dds
111WING_BL_L.dds
111WING_BR_L.dds
111WING_TL_L.dds
111WING_TR_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL1_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL2_L.dds
DM111VCPANEL3_L.dds
DM111VCPANELC_L.dds
DM111VCPANELO_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL1_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL2_L.dds
DM510VCPANEL3_L.dds
DM510VCPANELC_L.dds
DM510VCPANELO_L.dds
DM_1-11_VC_1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_1_L.dds
DM_1-11_VC_2.dds
DM_1-11_VC_B1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_B4.dds
DM_1-11_VC_FLOOR.dds
DM_1-11_VC_S1.dds
DM_1-11_VC_S2.dds
DM_1-11_VC_SEAT.dds

Note: The light maps for the exterior models are only present for contingency reasons because I've encountered some paints that did not contain any.

Any chance you'll ever do something similar with Dave's Trident? That is my favorite of his planes.

I've got a couple of mods for the Trident - also my favourite plane for a long time, though I haven't touched it in quite a while.

- "moving map" using the FSX GPS

- updated fuel system with correct tank-to-engine operation and including fin tank for trident 2

- partially working independent autothrottle system (The Trident used to descend with the AT only on the outer engines and the centre engine kept at a fixed RPM setting.  However the model overspeeds at the historically accurate settings and I'm not going to delve into the FDE).

Let me know if you're interested in trying them out.

I switched my FSX to a new computer and installed the BAC 111 and these fine mods into a new FSX Steam standalone install.   It seems like I'm not getting the new fx_smoke_f6 effect.  It is installed in the "effects" folder, and the [smokesystem] section is in the aircraft file like it should be, referencing the fx_smoke_f6 files, but no joy.

Can anyone confirm if they are getting smoke in FSX Steam from the BAC111 modded?

David Norman Paul

Running DX10 per chance?

(Not sure if the effects is compatible.)

Barring any PEBCAK errors, the effect should work just fine on FSXSE in DX9.

Running DX10 per chance?

(Not sure if the effects is compatible.)

Barring any PEBCAK errors, the effect should work just fine on FSXSE in DX9.

No, running DX9.   Not sure what a PEBCAK error is.   But yes, I was surprised when the effect didn't work.   This is pretty much a brand new install.

Haha, just googled PEBCAK error.  Nice. :fool:

David Norman Paul

I'm wondering what else I can check for.  The fx_smoke_f6 file is in the effects folder.   The appropriate lines are present in the aircraft file.  The gauge that is referred to in the panel cfg under one of the VC sections is there in the cabinet file like it should be.

All other aircraft with smoke features are working, including the ones that require a certain level of thrust, like the Trident.

Is there a texture file somewhere that I could be missing?  

Other than that, what could cause this?   The smoke definitely worked in FSX-Boxed when I applied these mods in that setup.

David Norman Paul

Checked the XML gauge used for triggering the smoke, found and fixed an error (the old logic spammed the key event for the smoke which apparently the smoke system doesn't like).

The 1-11 now smokes again at temperatures lower than -25°C and N2 above 92%.

The dowload link for the updated aircraft is the same as in the first post in this thread.

Nice work, Bjoern.  Any idea as to why some(non gauges) parts of the VC are black? Dx9 and have installed only the 500 model and added the vc textures in the main fsx texture folder.

Tony

Checked the XML gauge used for triggering the smoke, found and fixed an error (the old logic spammed the key event for the smoke which apparently the smoke system doesn't like).

The 1-11 now smokes again at temperatures lower than -25°C and N2 above 92%.

The dowload link for the updated aircraft is the same as in the first post in this thread.

You are just too cool. :hi:

David Norman Paul