Sign in to follow this  
Corrie

FSX Scenery File CFG Error

Hello

I would appreciate some help if possible please with FSX Deluxe installed on a Brand New Windows 10 PC. (Chillblast i5 6400, 3.3 GHz, 8GB DDR4 RAM)

I am getting the Message ‘Scenery CFG File Error’ (Scenery\Cities\Reno\Scenery) Area.115. Through to Area .119

This PC also has the Steam version installed.

In fact the Steam version was installed first and has no problems.

I get the impression FSX is looking in the wrong place for the scenery files.

Let me explain.

On another PC (windows 7) I noted there are 2 Scenery CFG files. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, and

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX-SE

The FSX-SE file must be a left over, because that game was Deleted a month ago.

I only mention these two files because they are different.

The FSX scenery file does Not include Area .115 Reno etc with the last being Area .115 Title Addon Scenery, but the FSX-SE file Does include all five missing files with the last being ‘Area.120 Title Addon Scenery’.

On the Windows 10 PC The FSX scenery CFG file is exactly the same as the Windows 7 FSX scenery file. I cannot find the FSX-SE scenery CFG file on the Windows 10 PC to compare them. I hope I haven’t made this too confusing.

The Windows 7 PC does run FSX as normal, which is why I guess it reads the FSX-SE Data.

My Question is: -

If I Copy the following files from my Windows 7 PC FSX-SE Data and Paste them into the Windows 10 FSX Scenery CFG renumbering the present Area.115 to number Area.120 would this possibly work? (I don’t wish to upset the Steam version)

[Area.115]

Title=Reno

Local=Scenery\Cities\Reno

Layer=115

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.116]

Title=Istanbul

Local=Scenery\Cities\Istanbul

Layer=116

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.117]

Title=Longleat

Local=Scenery\Cities\Longleat

Layer=117

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.118]

Title=Berlin

Local=Scenery\Cities\Berlin

Layer=118

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.119]

Title=Edwards_AFB

Local=Scenery\Cities\Edwards_AFB

Layer=119

Active=TRUE

Required=TRUE

[Area.120]

Title=Addon Scenery

Local=Addon Scenery

Layer=120

Active=TRUE

Required=FALSE

Thank you for your patience in reading this.

Corrie

If you are seeing those error messages then those entries are already in the scenery.cfg.

When you installed Steam before Boxed it gets installed and looks like Boxed. So there is only one scenery,cfg for both versions.

This can create problems when you install Boxed after Steam is already installed.

The areas that you are missing are the extra areas that come with Acceleration (assuming no addons installed).

To avoid problems in the future I would recommend you uninstall Steam, test Boxed to make sure there are no problems, then reinstall Steam.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thank you Joe for the quick response. Supposing I put up with clicking OK a few times, do you think it would have an effect on any Aircraft downloads.

I really want the iFly747-400v2 or the PMDG 747-400 if they will run on Windows 10. Mine also has Directx 12. I am not sure if they both work on FSX-SE.

Not too keen on deleting and re-installing Steam. Have seen reports that installing the Boxed version first also causes the same scenery cfg error.

Thanks again Joe.

Corrie

Supposing I put up with clicking OK a few times, do you think it would have an effect on any Aircraft downloads.

I wouldn't think so.

I really want the iFly747-400v2 or the PMDG 747-400 if they will run on Windows 10. Mine also has Directx 12. I am not sure if they both work on FSX-SE.

Can't hep you there, I would check with the developers.

DX12 does not apply to FSX which is a DirectX 9 program with a DirectX 10 preview mode.

Don't worry, DX12 includes elements of earlier versions.

Not too keen on deleting and re-installing Steam. Have seen reports that installing the Boxed version first also causes the same scenery cfg error.

I doubt there is any validity to those reports.

If you install Boxed first Steam will create it's own Program Data and AppData files and registry entries.

If you install Steam first it does not use the Steam specific entries, it uses what looks like Boxed entries.

Since the two programs do not have distinct and separate Program Data and AppData files and registry entries you are destined to have problems in the future, IMO.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

I don't quite understand your last sentence. Are you thinking I should uninstall the boxed version?

Corrie

IMO, if you want both versions you should uninstall the Steam version, leaving the Boxed version, then reinstall the Steam version.

regards,

Joe

sigbar.gif

How did it go, Corrie?

I tried what Joe  suggested it did not work  (i.e. I tried uninstall Steam, leaving box version, then re install Steam version).

When I did that, the Steam version would install but it would not boot up and run.

----

So I had to do this instead:

Uninstall both Steam and boxed version.

Then re-install the boxed version FIRST (it ran fine).

Then re-install the Steam version SECOND (it ran fine too).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.