Sign in to follow this  
LittlePaulio

Should this Orbx config work?

Hi,

I had posted earlier about getting sick of Orbx and figuring out which options I really need. I had considered switching scenery products, but I just don't have have the spare cash to invest in UTX/GEX.

So today, after starting with a pretty base FSX installation I ran Orbx Global Vector 100 first. Went fine. I then installed FTX Ireland and it's patch- again no problem. I also own FTX England and Scotland. As I am still very much learning the solid basics, and I like low-level flying, I fly GA aircraft exclusively and Ireland certainly looked amazing with Global base or the Land Classes. 

It's never stated outright (I don't think), but maybe Global Base is for a complete world overhaul and it's not necessary to run the other products (please correct me if I'm wrong). I know I lose the option of hybrid mode (I assume) and the rest of the world will be default FSX textures.

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct please? Scenery loading times have been cut in half imo. 

Any feedback on this, or if the European LCs would add anything to a dedicated FTX region would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

FTX Global Base is textures for the entire world (pretty much the same thing as GEX, but the latter for the world is much more expensive).  Your FTX Ireland, England, and Scotland are equivalent to Orbx regions, which generally offer better visuals (more features) than just Global Base.  Given the option of flying region(s) or the world, I always try to go with regions simply because they offer more.  However, if you wanted to fly from England to the continent, you could enable Hybrid mode and the flight would do just fine (with some compromises on features... again, regions offer more).

FTX Central 2 makes configuring the sim very easy.  For flying within one or more of the regions simply choose the regions (I'm not sure what they are called for you as I don't have your regions... I have NA regions, and they are labeled "North America" in FTX Central 2).  If you'll be flying from a region to a destination outside the region(s) then choose Hybrid mode, and if flying outside all your regions choose FTX Global.

I can't help with your question about the Orbx LC product(s)... I use UTX.

HTH

Greg

and if flying outside all your regions choose FTX Global.

But that's the thing, I never installed Global Base, just Global Vector- they're two entirely separate products I thought! Aren't they?

Also, would FS Global do a similar, if not as accurate, job as UTX?

Thanks,

Ah, sorry I thought you had installed Global Base.  No, Base is not similar to UTX... Orbx's LC products are similar to UTX.  Do you own Global Base?

Greg

Ah, sorry I thought you had installed Global Base.  No, Base is not similar to UTX... Orbx's LC products are similar to UTX.  Do you own Global Base?

Greg

I do, but as I was only flying in FTX Regions, I thought I'd experiment to see if I could get away with not installing it for now. So far, no probs, FTX central appeared after I installed FTX Ireland. Global vector is the only other product I have installed and I can't apply it to anywhere but Europe, but that seems to be the only drawback. So far....

Sounds like the landclass product you have is their FTX Global openLC Europe... they note that to get it to work properly FTX Global Base must be installed.  I would install Base if for no other reason than to insure I could fly in Hybrid mode (fly between regions and Global Base).  Think of Global Base as your foundation of FTX products, followed by their regions and LC product(s).

Greg

Sounds like the landclass product you have is their FTX Global openLC Europe... they note that to get it to work properly FTX Global Base must be installed.  I would install Base if for no other reason than to insure I could fly in Hybrid mode (fly between regions and Global Base).  Think of Global Base as your foundation of FTX products, followed by their regions and LC product(s).

Greg

I reckon i'm going gain a few frames from not having it running the whole time in the background. I've heard it can be very memory intensive. I also have REX HD, so things will still look fairly pretty, if not very accurate. Is GEX the equivalent of Global Base, in that it's a texture replacement, but you can get one just for Europe.

Do I have mesh covered here?

Sorry for all the questions!

Giving GEX 2.0 a go with FTX vector and FTX Ireland just to see what happens depending on where I place them in the scenery directory.

No problem about the questions, but this pdf explains it all so well. I still rely upon it to make FTX purchasing choices.

http://fullterrain.com/usermanuals/ftx_definitive_guide.pdf

GEX is indeed an alternative to FTX Global Base. Some prefer one rather than the other... I started with GEX (USA) and went to FTX Global Base primarily because I wanted the best transition between my FTX regions and the rest of the world. For me it's about the Regions (I have yet to buy an FTX airport).

Greg

Greg

No problem about the questions, but this pdf explains it all so well. I still rely upon it to make FTX purchasing choices.

http://fullterrain.com/usermanuals/ftx_definitive_guide.pdf

GEX is indeed an alternative to FTX Global Base. Some prefer one rather than the other... I started with GEX (USA) and went to FTX Global Base primarily because I wanted the best transition between my FTX regions and the rest of the world. For me it's about the Regions (I have yet to buy an FTX airport).

Greg

I just got really tired of the constant updates, different versions of the same utility, god knows how many panels. I'm going go back to try it old school, just to see what kind of fps I get with 4096 textures from REX and Ultra everything except other planes. I haven't been impressed with my FPS rate in Mega Airport Dublin with FTX Ireland and all the rest. Lucky to break 11 or 12 fps until I get airborne. That's on 4770K oc'ed to 4.5Ghz and GTX980.

Also don't want to see Orbx take a stranglehold on the scenery market. Just want to see if the improvement has been that drastic.