Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Ready to switch to P3Dv3, but...

I'm so eager to send FSX to retirement, and I want SO BADLY to switch to P3D v3.1, I can't help myself! Not because FSX is bad or not behaving as it should or similiar, it's just OLD and simply is screaming for retirement, aaaand I purchased P3D v3 like the first day it is released, couldn't hold my horses. Now I want to see my money properly invested!

I installed v3 two months ago just to test it, and was amazed how good it is, how smooth, and performance was superb with my GTX 960 2gb, didn't expected that! Then I uninstalled it after few days of testing due to low hard disk space and went back to good old FSX.

Now, I have so many questions about v3, addons compatibility, etc, I don't know where to start. I will talk about addons without I can't fly in FSX and that are a must have for me.

So:

- EZDOK, is it compatible, any glitches during install and during flight?

- Fs2Crew NGX, is it compatible? Working without hickups?

- ASN, everything working as it should, like in FSX? Is there any difference in fps hit (if any) when overcast, etc?

- MyTraffic 6? I see that it can be installed, are there any prons and cons comapring to FSX? I heard somewhere that FPS hit is bigger than in FSX which would be a huge let down for me.

- FsMovMap/gMap, does they work with v3?

- Pro Flight Emulator? Compatible? Can't fly without it! Any solutions if it isn't? I don't like PRO ATC X and it's logic.

- QuickILS? It would be cool if it works.

- REX Essential? Is there any procedure for installing textures except pointing to P3D v3 folder? DX10 compatibility checkbox and such? Water animation is ok?

- Shade? Is it compatible, and does v3 do a good job with shadows to make Shade not essential?

- when I want to install some aircraft or addon which doesn't have v3 installer (like Lotus L-39 for example), what is procedure? What is a general procedure when installing addons that doesn't have v3 installer?

Is there any good tips I should know about scenery installing?

Ahhh too many stuff, and I thought I'm ready to switch!  :fool:

Thanks you guys! :)

cheers!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Ah, I am on the fence too..... Look forward to some tantalizing answers...  :smile:

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

I can't confirm all of those, but I have FS2Crew, ASN, MyTraffic 6, and Rex Essentials Plus and they all work fine with v3.1 for me. I just switched over a couple months ago and I'm really glad I did.

I'm very impressed with the performance and visual quality. However, there is a lot of stuff not compatible or stuff you have to manually install because of having no P3D v3 installer. The good thing about FSX or FSX:SE is you don't have to worry about compatibility much. Since going over to P3D, I have to look around the internet to see if something I want to purchase is compatible. It's a bit of a hassle, but I think it's worth it.

EZdok works fine, I use Pro ATC which works very well. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I can't confirm all of those, but I have FS2Crew, ASN, MyTraffic 6, and Rex Essentials Plus and they all work fine with v3.1 for me. I just switched over a couple months ago and I'm really glad I did.

I'm very impressed with the performance and visual quality. However, there is a lot of stuff not compatible or stuff you have to manually install because of having no P3D v3 installer. The good thing about FSX or FSX:SE is you don't have to worry about compatibility much. Since going over to P3D, I have to look around the internet to see if something I want to purchase is compatible. It's a bit of a hassle, but I think it's worth it.

That is a main thing taht is keeping me to FSX! I know that EVERYTHING is compatible, no hassle. For me it's a huge pain in the a$$ to google or ask about every single addon, how it will work in P3D v3.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

If you're going to reinstall , go ahead and grab the new full 3.1 installer. 3.1 has controls to adjust the HDR until your hearts content. EZdok has posted an update to work with 3.1 

Most products that are still actively supported/developed have updates. On Rex honestly I would get Rex 4. Although you may get Rex essentials to work I don't think there are proper DX11 waves etc with that version(besides the fact the new rex loads texture sets nearly instantly compared to the old version). 

1. EZDOK, is it compatible, any glitches during install and during flight?

2. Fs2Crew NGX, is it compatible? Working without hickups?

3. ASN, everything working as it should, like in FSX? Is there any difference in fps hit (if any) when overcast, etc?

4. MyTraffic 6? I see that it can be installed, are there any prons and cons comapring to FSX? I heard somewhere that FPS hit is bigger than in FSX which would be a huge let down for me.

5. REX Essential? Is there any procedure for installing textures except pointing to P3D v3 folder? DX10 compatibility checkbox and such? Water animation is ok?

6. when I want to install some aircraft or addon which doesn't have v3 installer (like Lotus L-39 for example), what is procedure? What is a general procedure when installing addons that doesn't have v3 installer?

1. Works mostly fine on my system. It often displays an error message during launch, but it usually works nevertheless. And if I restart P3D 3.1, it works as it should.

2.I use FS2Crew for the Dash 8, which works fine. Not sure about the NGX, I mothballed my PMDG fleet because I don't want to pay twice for the same product.

3. ASN works perfectly.

4. MyTraffic 6 works mostly fine. I had some issues with the AFCAD files (airplanes at wrong parking locations) and removed them from the MT6/scenery folder, then things look nice.

5. Rex 4 + soft clouds works fine, and I believe Rex Essentials worked fine for me under P3D 2.5. Rex clouds are somewhat better, but the P3D 3.x clouds are already a huge improvement over FSX clouds.

6. There is no general rule, you have to deal with every aircraft individually. Some work fine, some need a different directory structure, some do not work at all. Keep in mind that your license may prevent you from installing an FSX plane under P3D (PMDG, for instance).

Peter

Thank you for your answers guys!
I almost forgot to ask! How P3D v3 behaves with controls and axes? I heard about controls/axis assignment issue, is that true? Also do FSUIPC work correctly in all aspects?

Wow, this is a surprise ... V3.x development continues which is another plus ;)

- EZDOK, is it compatible, any glitches during install and during flight?

Yes (v1.18.7), install could be made easier (but I don't use EzDok, just for testing)

- Fs2Crew NGX, is it compatible? Working without hickups?

Yes - http://www.fs2crew.com/cart/categories/Prepar3D-Version-3%252b/

- ASN, everything working as it should, like in FSX? Is there any difference in fps hit (if any) when overcast, etc?

V3 Installer and compatible - settings I use: http://www.robainscough.com/Active_Sky_Next__ASN_.html

- MyTraffic 6? I see that it can be installed, are there any prons and cons comapring to FSX? I heard somewhere that FPS hit is bigger than in FSX which would be a huge let down for me.

V3 Installer and compatible.

- FsMovMap/gMap, does they work with v3?

Yes http://www.rahsim.com/index.php/downloads/

- Pro Flight Emulator? Compatible? Can't fly without it! Any solutions if it isn't? I don't like PRO ATC X and it's logic.

Maybe - but looks like you'll need to do some registry adjustments and/or put FS9 and/or FSX exe's in the P3D root

- QuickILS? It would be cool if it works.

Seriously?  You can't set the frequency?  Anyway ... it looks like it is, but haven't tested (just need correct version of SimConnect).

- REX Essential? Is there any procedure for installing textures except pointing to P3D v3 folder? DX10 compatibility checkbox and such? Water animation is ok?

Yes, I believe REX updated for P3D V3.x.

- Shade? Is it compatible, and does v3 do a good job with shadows to make Shade not essential?

Shade IS not required at all, in fact I would NOT recommend using it.  My HDR settings: http://www.robainscough.com/images/757b38a18badedab2e274a3a65c0fe5e.jpg

- when I want to install some aircraft or addon which doesn't have v3 installer (like Lotus L-39 for example), what is procedure? What is a general procedure when installing addons that doesn't have v3 installer?

See answer to Pro Flight Emulator.

Is there any good tips I should know about scenery installing?

Yes, adjust sliders appropriate to the hardware you are using.  Max everything = going back to FSX/FSX-SE ... contrary to popular believe P3D graphics are NOT the same as FSX/FSX-SE graphics.

Cheers, Rob.

I still use good old Shade with P3D3.1 - it gives you the opportunity for darker shadows but without saturating everything with massively high contrast that you may end up with trying to get the shadows you want in HDR. I use both Shade and HDR in P3D.

You can get Shade working by either using the EMT, or faking the registry entry for FSX (to point at your P3D3 folder).

REX Essential works fine for textures, you may well need the P3D extra licence though (but it's cheap).

ASN is good but clouds in general can bring my system to its knees (I run with maximum cloud shadows though).

The latest update seemed to fix most issues with controls and axis assignments. One thing to note is that you'll have to rely on FSForce for force feedback (if that applies to your setup). 

Also wanted to add that the performance issue with MT6 seems to be that it inserts a higher volume of traffic in P3D than FSX. All you would need to do is knock back the percentage a bit, and run the freeware AI Traffic Manager. 

Not sure about the NGX, I mothballed my PMDG fleet because I don't want to pay twice for the same product.

This is the main reason I won't switch to P3D. As I own both the NGX and 777 I can't see myself pay full price (much more than for the FSX version) for the same aircraft again. A step that, even after the brief and partially weak explanation from PMDG, left me with an awfully bad taste in my mouth regarding their pricing policy. Even the Majestic Dash 8 is compatible with P3D at no additional cost and I can't imagine they don't have to pay for licenses. I would've gladly paid an upgrade price of 30$ or so, even if this killed the license for FSX.

Sad but true.. this keeps me from moving on to the modern sim. 

• Upvote 2

Just got P3D v3.1 the other day. Looking at My Traffic 6. How is it on frame rate? 

As with all AI traffic, it depends on where you set it to. I use 20% airline traffic, and I use an AI traffic optimizer program and I get 30 FPS with NGX with a 3 year old i5 desktop.  

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310