Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Ready to switch to P3Dv3, but...

Don't understand why people sit on the fence... You can run P3D alongside FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, P3D1.X, P3D2.X, so just install it, and add the P3D v3.X addons as they become available. 

• Upvote 1

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Looking at My Traffic 6. How is it on frame rate?

That depends on your settings. At smaller to medium airports, I hardly notice a difference even with traffic at 100%. At larger airports, I keep the traffic rate low (15%) to avoid a fps hit. However, I only have a GTX 660 ...

This is the main reason I won't switch to P3D. As I own both the NGX and 777 I can't see myself pay full price

I was hesitating as well since PMDG planes were amongst my favourites (in FSX I used NGX, 777, JS4100 and B1900D). However, I am very happy with the replacements (Aerosoft A320, CS 777, Razbam Metroliner and Majestic Dash 8). The CS 777 is not quite as good as the PMDG, but still a very good plane, and they only asked me to pay 10% of the price that PMDG asks me to pay (again). And all these planes have the added benefit that they are much more gentle to my poor old GTX 660 :)

Peter

Don't understand why people sit on the fence... You can run P3D alongside FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, P3D1.X, P3D2.X, so just install it, and add the P3D v3.X addons as they become available. 

Given I'd buy P3D, keep FSX on one drive and install P3D on another, would I be able to do a 2nd install of all my FSX addons to P3D? Like FTX Global, FlyTampa airports, EZDok, ASN, REX...

Regarding Pro Flight Emulator:

PF3 ATC (the successor of Pro Flight Emulator) was released today, it supports P3D.

Try the demo available at http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/pf3_trial.htm

I was part of the beta team and I must say it is a huge step forward compared to PFE: Finally just clicking on a flight plan, optionally adding some waypoint altitude adjustments (which are now saved across restarts) or an alternate destination, connect :smile:

I'm thinking it has to do with the amount of energy and $$$ invested in FSX. Personally, I take flight simulation very seriously and have invested some serious money, time, and learning. Hence, the initial reluctance to move to another flight sim.

P3D is the same FSX but with much improved  features.. And, if it just keeps getting better and with full support,  then, there you have a good reason to move on.

Thanks all for huge help!

Now, first step is to install v3.1 alongside FSX and add essential addons, one by one, as simmerhead suggested. When I set v3 to a state where almost all stuff from FSX install works - goodbye FSX!

I'm using default airports with updated AFCADs and some added objects, mainly from Ray Smith. I guess I can copy bgl files in addon scenery folder, just like in FSX?

Regarding REX, I will probably install only runways/taxiways textures since clouds and water itself are excellent in v3 default.

I know than fs2crew NGX Reboot works in v3, must test the old version since I' using it.

My biggest concern now is how to install fs2crew, mytraffic 6, and few more addons also in v3, when they are already installed and registered in FSX.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Given I'd buy P3D, keep FSX on one drive and install P3D on another, would I be able to do a 2nd install of all my FSX addons to P3D? Like FTX Global, FlyTampa airports, EZDok, ASN, REX...

Yes, you can install most addons into several versions of FS and/or P3D. Reputable addon developers make installers where you can choose which sim to install into. I run five sims on my PC and have zero trouble. 

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

V3.1 installed.  :Tounge:

Now, after I start it for the first time to let it to do own things with shaders, and probably once more time to be sure all working good on default, is there any essential tweaks left to add in the cfg? I'm on i3770k @ 4.6ghz with HT on and GTX 960 2gb STRIX.

So let the games begin!

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

If you don't have OOM issues in FSX, you could continue in FSX for a lot longer... without having to reinvest in all the aircrafts again.

I am unable to use FSX cause of OOM issues but I love FSX otherwise 

The only reall value added (JMO) in P3D V3.1 is volumetric fog... + the OOM solution naturally.

For me, Volumetric fog is value added the way Water was value added going from FS9 to FSX

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

To me there are many added values in addition to the water and the OOM issues - the HDR lighting, tessellation, shadows, wave movement. I've had some breathtaking visuals in P3D during stormy weather that I could NEVER even come close to in FSX. I think that some miss out on the best stuff because their system is not capable or not set to handle it properly.

I say this mainly for potential new users coming from FSX. If your system is properly set up and capable - you will see a big difference visually. And a lot depends on how you fly - if you tool along at FL30 and up, you are not going to see a big difference. You may feel a difference because some of the internals have been Improved ( OOM, etc) but the big visual changes are mainly seen by the low and slow folks.

I think this is a great time for simmers!

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

QuickILS? sure does work and you have to download makerunways from Peter's site

Shade works also

Rich Sennett

I'm using QuickILS only for a quick find of ILS frequences and Course numbers, nothing else.

Installed FSUIPC and EZDOK 1.18.7, everything is fine so far.

Anyway, is DynamicFriction.lua still essential and usable?

Migration is 60% done! MyTraffic 6 installation left to fiddle with, and fs2crew, but I doubt it will work. In that case I must purchase Reboot.

I can't describe HOW HAPPY I am at the moment, similiar feeling like I bought myself a new car, or better to say dreamcar!  

BTW I found what is the biggest FPS killer in v3 - Terrain Shadows. Never thought that feature is a fps killer. With 20km set I get around 60fps in flight, at 0 (disabled) I get 100-110! What a difference! And it is not an essential feature when flying tubeliner, only for VFR.

Are there any lens flare effects compatible with v3. REX4 has it?

Water Reflections and Dynamic Reflections can also be very hard on the GPU ... as can scenery and scenery options.

Cheers, Rob.

Water Reflections and Dynamic Reflections can also be very hard on the GPU ... as can scenery and scenery options.

Cheers, Rob.

Hmmmm, I've tested water and water reflections, and barely saw any fps difference between Low and High, Ultra is off my list because I don't like how it looks. :)

Dynamic Relfection does not work on my machine at the moment, maybe because of nVidia drivers, I'm still on 355.82. I don't see any difference when disabled/low/high, and interestingly I see noticeable fps hit when enabling dynamic reflections, especially on high.