Sign in to follow this  
jasburbak

40" 4k Monitor with GTX970 - How graphics intensive can you get?

This probably applies to those with this hardware setup. 

I'm building a new PC so wanted to get the experience of users with the same/similar setup: How well does add ons and payware aircraft fare with those who use the GTX970 card and a 4k monitor? There have been multiple threads here on whether this card could run it, apparently it can, but couldnt find information regarding whether if it was with a basic run down, or with heavy add ons like UTX, GTX, REX, mesh, etc.. 

The monitor I'm considering is the Philips 40" BDM4065UC with an GTX970 4GB card. I do mainly low altitude scenery flying and use payware aircraft. What FPS do you get? How much would you have to back off on settings? 

Thanks, I'm about to bite the bullet, but since FSX is the only "game" I play, I don't want to get a card that can't support a proper experience. 

In a similar boat, I'm sitting in the back row waiting for replies also.

d4c7ed99c07a00c53309d835d78316a8cc36af60

I don't have a 4K monitor but I run a EVGA GTX 970 SSC. My two simulators of choice are XP-10 and P3D v3.1.  For P3D I have most of the Orbx scenery + Airports, UK2000 scenery, REX4, ASN, Real Air Duke & Legacy, A2A Cessna 182, A2A Cherokee 180 & A2A Comanche, PMDG 777 & 737NGX and the Majestic Q400. I easily hold around 25-30 fps no matter where I fly and I get very smooth performance. My setting are towards the maxed out settings. I lock my frames at 30.

I also get very good performance in XP-10.

Pete

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

it will but your framerates won't be that high, i have a 28 inch 4k monitor and a gtx 980 ti and keep around 30fps with the pmdg 777.i would hold out for the next line of cards for 4k if you can. if not at least get a gtx 980 where you can use all 4gb of vram.

I'm running a 970 on 55 inch 4k monitor.

I fly heavies at altitude most of the time...PMDG 737 and 777.

I run at the rez just below the highest (not at pc and can't remember the numbers)

FSDT KLAX and Orbitz SoCal, very high settings.

Frames are fine 30s I'd say.

P3d 3.1, 4790k clocked to 4.6ghz, ai traffic at 30%.

Sorry on mobile device so can't give great details, but bottom line I'm very pleased with the 970 running at 4k

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I have heard Two 970 cards in SLI are Better then a single 980ti. Look at some benchmark comparisons.

Pete Richards

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

I have heard Two 970 cards in SLI are Better then a single 980ti. Look at some benchmark comparisons.

I doubt that is the case with FSX.

Do you have a link to any FSX comparison benchmarks we can look at?

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I never said for FSX did I? P3D does support SLI. IMO only a fool would build or buy a major component for a dead and useless title such as FSX & FSX-SE.

• Upvote 1

Pete Richards

Well, two 970's in SLI are definitely much better than a single 980 for most other games, but as far as I know FSX doesn't run well on a SLI setup. Haven't made the jump to P3D yet, as I was waiting for 3.1v to be released to try it out.

But- there are plenty known issues with SLI configurations for Nvidia cards, that it might be a headache, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but going SLI doesn't get rid of the VRAM limitations of the 970 cards. SLI'ing it will definitely make a difference, but enough for the low FPS requirements for FSX/P3D, that I dont know. 

Steve Dra, your settings seem to be pretty good, thanks, the only difference would be low altitude flying would cause a drop in FPS in a scenic environment and thats what worries me. ORBX PNW is my main go to, and its pretty intensive. 

I am running P3DV3 with all the addons on a 78" Samsung curved 4K @ 60hz.

I first ran a GTX 970 on a water cooled 2600k @ 4.7, 20-30 fps

Added later another GTX 970 and setup SLI.  Better performance for sure. More fps and less stutters.

However, upgrading to a new Skylake  i7 6700k @4.8 and a ROG Maximus motherboard and DDR4 memory was a significant boost bringing fps to 40 +

I never said for FSX did I? P3D does support SLI. IMO only a fool would build or buy a major component for a dead and useless title such as FSX & FSX-SE.

The OP states FSX is the only sim he uses so obviously I've made a mistake in assuming you actually read his post? How foolish of me.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

However, upgrading to a new Skylake  i7 6700k @4.8 and a ROG Maximus motherboard and DDR4 memory was a significant boost bringing fps to 40 +

That's actually the exact same hardware that i'm building currently, I wonder if I could get away with a single 970gtx with that newer component setup. 

I find there to be only a small improvement with SLI configuration. Although being basically stutter free is a big bonus!!

One GPU works fine.

I watched a video a while back showing that with the Skylake processors and a compatible MB and ram, there was better SLI performance.

So I took the plunge.  :smile:

I find there to be only a small improvement with SLI configuration. Although being basically stutter free is a big bonus!!

One GPU works fine.

I watched a video a while back showing that with the Skylake processors and a compatible MB and ram, there was better SLI performance.

So I took the plunge.  :smile:

That's great to hear! Thanks for your specs and info, much appreciated. 

I have a BDM4065UC monitor and run a 770 4gb card at 4K and typically get 30fps  plus with the NGX at the high end payware airports (eg Flytampa yssy and FSDT cyvr) in fine weather and about 20 fps in heavy weather.  I run at about 20% AI and the normal setting for autogen and this is with boxed FSX.  So you should have no issues with the 970 at 4K unless it only having a usable 3gb of vram is a factor.  In the light of my experience not sure why others seem to insist that you need a very high end gpu (ie 980ti plus) for FSX at 4K.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."