Sign in to follow this  
jasburbak

40" 4k Monitor with GTX970 - How graphics intensive can you get?

Hi Folks,

Been following the 1,000,000 plus viewed DA CRJ thread over on Aerosoft - they just mentioned buying a bunch of LG Ultra Wide Monitors for the office and everyone loves them... You can do shots like the one I posted below and I'm seriously considering going this route myself off a GTX970... They stated that the loss of frames on the Ultra Wide Monitors is minimal running 3440x1440...

The ones they are using are "LG 34UM95"

For me - who still uses a single 4:3 - this would be a huge difference...

Seems like a better match to our real peripheral vision - just something to consider...

2016-2-8_17-25-16-121.png.860b9c5e2e73b4

Actual Post where they start showcasing the new monitors and talk about it in subsequesnt posts (LOL - along with the CRJ): http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/33966-aerosoft-da-crj-preview/&page=224#comment-732204

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I didn't care much for my triple monitor setup.

It's impressive to look at the setup, it seems to make sense but simming itself is not so immersive.

When I moved to a large 4k curved tv with TrackIR the experience is amazing.

The only thing that might beat it would be VR but I doubt that will ever happen until FSim is re-writen to allow optimal use of our next-gen rigs.

Cheers

Steve.

Before moving to 4K I considered the 21:9 (3440x1440) format monitors until I realized that the vertical dimension would be the same as the 16:10 (1920x1200) monitor I have used for many years and I wanted something bigger in width and height.  Initially I went for a 32 inch Samsung 2560x1440 monitor which worked great with no noticeable dip in fps compared to 1920x1200. But after a few months got the Phillips 4K for FSX and use the Samsung as a secondary monitor alongside it for moving map etc and non FS tasks.  I actually run the Phillips at slightly less than 4K  (3840X1900) which gives me an aspect ratio closer to the 21:9 of the 3440x1440 ultra wide monitors.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I actually run the Phillips at slightly less than 4K  (3840X1900)

Bruceb

Since it is not in native res, doesn't that make everything rather blurry?

Since it is not in native res, doesn't that make everything rather blurry?

Only for non FS tasks eg web browsing word processing etc.  Within FSX no difference in screen clarity between custom and native resolution.  As my Phillips monitor is dedicated to FSX this is not an issue for me.  I have also found that if I set my non FS monitor as the primary monitor and my FS monitor as the secondary one there is a 20% or so increase in fps over having things the other way round - at least with fps set to unlimited.  Unsure why I see this but I have also had the same with other monitors.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I am not spending any more money on monitors etc, after experiencing FS on google cardboard through the videos on youtube, it is amazing and i am holding off to late this year to get oculus rift and a new rig to play FS, VR is the next generation for gaming.

VR puts you "in" the cockpit you can get all the latest and greatest monitors out there but you are still "out" of the cockpit / flight deck.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

I have a 40" LG 4K and what transformed the sim for me was changing the HDMI input in the LG menu to PC and applying the affinity mask setting with HT enabled in the thread below:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/482415-my-version-on-how-to-get-smooth-and-stutter-free-p3d-31/

It's a long thread at about 15 pages.  Basically my setup is to apply the affinity mask in P3D.cfg @116 so cores 2-4-5-6 are used by the sim and cores 1-3-7 by addons like TrackIR5 and other apps.  Start the sim up first then the apps second where their affinity settings are configured using an app like Process Lasso.

It is a huge improvement over the settings I had before.  I am going to have a look at those new curved screens.  

Good thread.

\Robert Hamlich/