Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

PF3 ATC Program thoughts

Had I felt that anyone crossed the line and was "beating up" a dev, I would have warned of closure. Actually, I thought the dev and the posters generally handled themselves just fine. Some questions I had about the product were answered.

I think one has to consider their expectations - if you wan a replacement ATC coming as close to real life operations or something better than default that helps the immersion factor. As I see it, this program is the latter - I don't see where the dev is touting it as a real life replacement. For what it does - it appears to do it quite well.

For me personally, the approaches are published for a reason - it is what ATC expects the pilot to follow  - any deviation must be initiated by the controller, not the pilot ( barring emergency evasive actions) - in that way alone, the product would not be for me.

I see in this thread that several posters had incorrect assumptions about the product and thus were disappointed.

I'll let this go a little longer if needed, but this is the P3D forum not the PFE support forum.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am not happy with that but choose it over robotic voices.

That bold part is the problem: in certain situations I want ATC to tell me what to do and not the other way around. I want to get rid of that bold part. ATC should assign me a STAR, name and all, on its own. And not because I programmed it to do so. ATC should assist me and lead me and not the other way around.

Ok that's fair enough. Then you should continue to use whatever atc system suits your needs. I happen to like PF3 because if I want to fly a specific STAR/arrival with as little or as much ATC involvement as I wish I am free to do so.  I fly to VHHX a lot so I don't want to be told to fly anything other than the RWY13 IGS approach.

If I fly to an airport where I don't a preference on runway or approach I just let PF3 vector me to finals.

Peter Schluter

It's a total misconception that ATC give "you" a fpl and SIDs STARs etc.

I never said that, I said that I want an ATC addon to tell me what to do in certain situations, like assigning me a STAR. Take note that I fly in Europe. I also want ATC to know all procedures by name. I also want ATC to 'control' other aircraft. I don't expect ATC to take over my job though. ;)

Had I felt that anyone crossed the line and was "beating up" a dev, I would have warned of closure. Actually, I thought the dev and the posters generally handled themselves just fine. Some questions I had about the product were answered.

I think one has to consider their expectations - if you wan a replacement ATC coming as close to real life operations or something better than default that helps the immersion factor. As I see it, this program is the latter - I don't see where the dev is touting it as a real life replacement. For what it does - it appears to do it quite well.

For me personally, the approaches are published for a reason - it is what ATC expects the pilot to follow  - any deviation must be initiated by the controller, not the pilot ( barring emergency evasive actions) - in that way alone, the product would not be for me.

I see in this thread that several posters had incorrect assumptions about the product and thus were disappointed.

I'll let this go a little longer if needed, but this is the P3D forum not the PFE support forum.

Vic

Thanks Vic,

If people have genuine queries or problems then there is the PF3 forum which is not part of Avsim. Dave and the likes of us are more than happy to help people with problems, give advice etc. But anyone who has the intention of flaming or trolling will be banned.

• Upvote 3

PF3 is actually doing what ATC do in real life. It's a total misconception that ATC give "you" a fpl and SIDs STARs etc. In fact it is you the pilot or your airline that will give ATC a fpl.  Just as you give PF3 a fpl. 

Makes a lot of sense Volo and will give this program another look knowing what I know now and its intent of use - still have a lot to learn about it

Rich Sennett

I never said that, I said that I want an ATC addon to tell me what to do in certain situations, like assigning me a STAR. Take note that I fly in Europe. I also want ATC to know all procedures by name. I also want ATC to 'control' other aircraft. I don't expect ATC to take over my job though. ;)

Fine! stay with your beloved default ATC that is the most unreal ATC outside N America.

Ok that's fair enough. Then you should continue to use whatever atc system suits your needs. I happen to like PF3 because if I want to fly a specific STAR/arrival with as little or as much ATC involvement as I wish I am free to do so.  I fly to VHHX a lot so I don't want to be told to fly anything other than the RWY13 IGS approach.

If I fly to an airport where I don't a preference on runway or approach I just let PF3 vector me to finals.

It's clear by now (and to be expected) that we all want or need or expect something else from an ATC addon, something that fits our needs. ;) I am sure that PF3 would fulfill some of my needs in certain situations, like simply getting vectored to finals, but it doesn't seem to fulfill my more important needs. Nothing wrong with that. I am sure PF3 will make a lot of people happy!

Fine! stay with your beloved default ATC that is the most unreal ATC outside N America.

No need to become sarcastic. You can't expect everyone to love 'your' product.

Passed bad info you serious -

Bad info indeed. You claimed the "program does not work" because you were expecting to be guided all the way to your destination. You refused to visit the official site for help with your "problem".

Considering you have over 8,000 posts on avsim, I find it hard to believe your claims of ignorance and some might think you were simply bad mouthing the product for your own reasons.

• Upvote 1

Peter Schluter

I love you Avsim   :wub:

24627068170_bcc601842e_o.png

Me too!!! ;)

Makes a lot of sense Volo and will give this program another look knowing what I know now and its intent of use - still have a lot to learn about it

Learning about ATC is an important part of pilot training. They are there pricipally to help stop you scratching your paint. Any "good" pilot can navigate from A to B by him/herself even strangely, without GPS FMC etc. Try navigating by the stars. Thats what those little eyebrow windows in older a/c are for! In fact there is/was a star sextant in the avsim library which you can install in your aircraft. Or try navigating by dead reckoning. Which they used to do ever the deserts and jungles in Africa. What's that? Try closing your eyes get up and walk to the bathroom. Although that's also a bit like inertial navigation too. Aviation is a fascinating subject but also complex so you can't learn it in five minutes! lol

• Upvote 1

I am sure that PF3 would fulfill some of my needs in certain situations, like simply getting vectored to finals

Radar Contact has by far the best vectoring of any ATC program, it may fall short in some areas but the vectoring is rock solid

Bad info indeed. You claimed the "program does not work" because you were expecting to be guided all the way to your destination. You refused to visit the official site for help with your "problem".

Considering you have over 8,000 posts on avsim, I find it hard to believe your claims of ignorance and some might think you were simply bad mouthing the product for your own reasons.

LOL I have never bad mouthed a product just thought it was suppose to do something it was not and trying to figure out why its not doing what I think its suppose to be doing

If someone told me 17 pages of posts ago we would not be having this conversation 

I was going to buy it anyway to support developers god knows I have bought a lot of payware and never used it more than once 

Rich Sennett

Vololiberista, what you're describing (filing a plan, then flying it) is common in much of the world but not all of it. In my backyard (northeast US) it's common to file a STAR, then be vectored off it as controllers try to move high-volume traffic as fast as possible. So not always file and follow. It'd be nice for an ATC program to capture that kind of improv, though it's obviously a big ask.

Radar Contact has by far the best vectoring of any ATC program, it may fall short in some areas but the vectoring is rock solid

It can't vector you immediately after take-off can it!!!! PF3 can and does with ease!