Sign in to follow this  
dutton98

Windows 10 and P3D

other than some hardware issues for some, the reports have been good. I have a second system set up with W10 and P3D and have not had any issues so far.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I built a new system in January of this year so I had no choice but to go to Windows 10 (A full purchase).  A few quirks,  but I have no issues running P3D with 10.  YMMV though as everybody will have different hardware and software but for my system its been pretty smooth.  I use CHProducts (Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant) with no issues;  I do not use any Saitek products so I cannot comment on those.

The only issue I had was EZDOC which for some reason kept crashing on startup.  I found the issue on my system was EZDOC was setup to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode.  Once I turned that off no more crashes.

Once again though YMMV.

Sean Green

Okay thanks guys, so im gonna upgrade to windows 10. Hows the best way to go about this. I want to do just start fresh, clean everything. I only have flight sim on my system which i can install easy. Hows the best way to go about this? A system restore then install windows 10? 

If you want to start really fresh, just backup your most important data, start the installation and do a full format of your hard disk. However you can't revert back. So if Win10 doesn't work for you, you'll end with a freshly installed Windows 7 (if you still have an installation media) and a nasty feeling that you literally wasted a truckload of your time.

If you install Windows 10 over existing Windows 7 (or 8), you can revert back later - your original Windows installation is automagically backed up. However this is not a fresh install so if your present Windows installation is already bloated, slow and sluggish, it won't get any better.

You can do the same thing I did - I installed Win10 over Win7, checked that everything worked properly and then I performed a fresh install of Windows 10.

Hi Harry,

I suppose it really boils down to why you feel the need to change to Windows 10. I am still running Windows 7 Pro 64bit and find it does everything I need it to do, I feel comfortable with it and, of course, have no hardware compatibility issues. Prepar3D 3.1 runs great, as does everything else, and I very much doubt that Windows 10 will offer any worthwhile improvements in performance nor, indeed, stability. Windows 10 offers DirectX 12 but it will be some time before we see mainstream titles appearing that truly exploit this latest collection of Application Programming Interfaces. Heck, DirectX 9/10/11 (especially 11) have still not run their course by a long chalk.

I know that full support for Windows 7 will continue for several more years and the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 still has several months to run. Who knows, it might even be extended as a great many folk and businesses continue to feel the way I do. So, there really is no rush. This is a very different situation from the one we faced when XP support ended. Windows 7 is a mature operating system in its own right. When the the day comes the upgrade path seems to be relatively easy, unlike with it's predecessor which, frankly, was a nightmare unless, of course, you were prepared to start again from scratch with a freshly formatted disk. Many will advocate this upgrade route in any case,

If all you want is to keep abreast with the rest who have chosen to make the jump then go for it. Windows 10 seems to be a pretty decent operating system, arguably Microsoft's best to date but, again, do you really need it right now? If the answer is no then simply bide your time and be happy!

Regards,

Mike

Upgraded from W7 to W10. All in all w10 worked fine, but my Saitek HOTAS x-55 did not work, though I installed the latest driver for x-55. I had to switch back to W7 and see what Saitek will come up with in the future. 

Regards

Kenneth

Kenneth Jorgensen

Fractal Edison 650W, GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7 9700K 3.60GHz 12MB, ASUS MB ROG STRIX Z370-G, DDR4 Vengeance 32GB, Windows 10 64 bit Pro, Saitek X-55/Honeycomb A

Upgraded from W7 to W10. All in all w10 worked fine, but my Saitek HOTAS x-55 did not work, though I installed the latest driver for x-55. I had to switch back to W7 and see what Saitek will come up with in the future. 

Regards

Kenneth

Well mine X55 works just fine under Win10 64 bit and p3d v3.1

André

Well mine X55 works just fine under Win10 64 bit and p3d v3.1

Hi André.

What driver have you installed?

Best regards

Kenneth

Kenneth Jorgensen

Fractal Edison 650W, GeForce RTX 2070, Intel Core i7 9700K 3.60GHz 12MB, ASUS MB ROG STRIX Z370-G, DDR4 Vengeance 32GB, Windows 10 64 bit Pro, Saitek X-55/Honeycomb A

Hi André.

What driver have you installed?

Best regards

Kenneth

X55_Rhino_7_0_41_10_x64_Drivers and USB 3.0 port...

No Saitek software but mapping via FSUIPC :-)

André

X55_Rhino_7_0_41_10_x64_Drivers and USB 3.0 port...

No Saitek software but mapping via FSUIPC :-)

Thanks for your time. My x55 works nicely now in Windows 10. I am happy.

Have a nice day.

Kenneth

Kenneth Jorgensen