Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

FSX: ORBX ESSA 1st impressions

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

Since I love flying in Scandinavia, and Aerosoft´s ESSA is so dated and full of bugs, I pulled the trigger today, and bought ORBX´s ESSA. I have and love their FTX Global & Vector, the regions and Open LC. And I also have some small airfields in the USA. But this is my first major aiport scenery I bought from them, so my expectaions were pretty high.

I just finished some sightseeing in a helicopter, and a short NGX hop from ENGM (v2 from Aerosoft) to ESSA.

Overall, my feelings are not too positive. I like its atmosphere and the nice night lighting. I don´t like some of the textures (blurred, and not really crisp, i.e. on some of the terminal buildings), and the VAS consumption in FSX is really huge!

To be more precise, I had my first OOM in FSX on that very flight. On final, the dinging began, and after vacating the runway, the sim crashed with the OOM message. I really don´t understand that crazy need for memory, especially when I compare the amount of detail to Flytampa´s EKCH.

I have AI traffic set to 0, and all other sliders at reasonable settings, nothing is maxed out, my texture max load is set to 1024.

The performance is decent, 40-55 fps in the default Robinson R22, and 22-26 during the approach in the NGX, and 25-32 on the ground.

Here are some pics of the airport:

d66k31h1t2vg757jb.jpg

d66k39pfbh18u4wo7.jpg

d66k3gk8rwld5b97r.jpg

d66k3nu75cru4zn8n.jpg

d66k3uxr7daqerc6f.jpg

d66k4bx9szhexh84n.jpg

d66k4km6x64ie1013.jpg

d66k4rlmkysr13omf.jpg

d66k4ype8zavoahrb.jpg

d66k54nvk7burtq3r.jpg

d66k5c55kae12es87.jpg

d66k5ib05t9pq52zr.jpg

d66k5pok3bnsb59wn.jpg

d66k5wa3byu1765if.jpg

d66k62fe5f2da8uw7.jpg

d66k68yopavml4aqv.jpg

d66k6f6anzoif98x3.jpg

Guest Mik75

Thank you, guys!

This could be an enjoyable scenery for sure, but the OOM was quite disappointing.

I'll try another flight tonight from a different departure airport.

Guest Mik75

Thanks guys!

I'll try another flight into ESSA, this time with some of the features unchecked in its setup menu.

Maybe that will save some VAS.

Flying a roundtrip EKCH(Flytampa)-ESSA(Orbx)-ENGM(AoN)-EKCH in one session in the PMDG 737, ASN, MT6@35%, FTX Global, FTX Norway, ProATC, textures at 2k and fairly high settings, my VAS never once exceeded 2,9 gig. This is however in P3Dv3.1. Vas monitoring with ProcessExplorer and and FSX VAS Monitor. IMHO, definetly an FSX issue.

My only "issue" with ESSA is that I find a bit dark and dirty.

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Guest Mik75

Flying a roundtrip EKCH(Flytampa)-ESSA(Orbx)-ENGM(AoN)-EKCH in one session in the PMDG 737, ASN, MT6@35%, FTX Global, FTX Norway, ProATC, textures at 2k and fairly high settings, my VAS never once exceeded 2,9 gig. This is however in P3Dv3.1. Vas monitoring with ProcessExplorer and and FSX VAS Monitor. IMHO, definetly an FSX issue.

My only "issue" with ESSA is that I find a bit dark and dirty.

That clearly shows, that P3D v3's method of freeing unused VAS is working quite well!

ENGM v2 by Aerosoft is very hard on the VAS, too. And flytampa's EKCH has a quite large VAS consumption as well. Although ENGM to EKCH, or vice versa, is a flight that I've performed many times in the NGX with the exact same settings, without getting close to an OOM.