Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

Switch between FTX Global and GEP3D?

Looking for some advise...

I own both FTX Global textures and GEP3D (GEX) textures.  I also use UTXv2.  I prefer the GEP3D / UTX2 combination for the east / northeast US scenery where I spend much of my time flying.  However, I would like to try the Orbx California & Alaska Regions for the times I fly the west coast; as I am fairly sure it will improve the scenery there.

Is there a fairly painless way to switch between the two textures sets without screwing up P3D?  And do I also need FTX Vector if using the Orbx west coast regions?

Edit: I am fairly sure each install has the P3D default textures as their backups - although at this point I can't be sure...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ron

I'm pretty sure Orbx FTX and UTXUSAv2 ..can coexist..nicely .BUT "it makes no sense to have BOTH Utx and global vector running at the same time in the USA". I'd be happy to be shown the error in my recollection... But for now I'll stick with it.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I'm pretty sure Orbx FTX and UTXUSAv2 ..can coexist..nicely .BUT "it makes no sense to have BOTH Utx and global vector running at the same time in the USA". I'd be happy to be shown the error in my recollection... But for now I'll stick with it.

Chas

You are correct in your thinking. UTX and Vector should not be operational at the same time. OpenLC, can be used with UTX.

Thanks, guys.  I was pretty sure that the two vector programs could not be used together.  My concern was if Orbx Vector was doing something more for the scenery than what UTX2 is doing.

My main problem is the two texture sets - I don't know what each of the two is loading into the program; so I don;t know what to swap to keep things clean if I switch back and forth.  Is it only the World / Scenery / Texture files that matter?  Or is it more than that?

Any scenery people here know the answer?

Ron

Well, it CAN be done - FTX Global and GeP3D  BUT and it's a BIG but - you have to UNINSTALL and REINSTALL Global each time. Not an easy task.

With UTX and Vector however, you can simply enable/disable in th Scenery.cfg.

BTW, I have GeP3D and UTX installed *AND* I have he Orbx areas. Northern and Southern Ca and PNW etc installed at same time with no issues.

You do NOT need FTX GLOBAL BASE installed to use the NCA, SCA regions.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I do exactly this with FSX. I have 2 FSX installations, one is loaded with FTX Global and the other is loaded with GEX USA v2. The Orbx installation has never seen a GEX installer and the GEX installation has never seen an Orbx installer so there's no danger of any conflicts. I swap the two installations out by renaming the Flight Simulator X folder, ie: Flight Simulator X.orbx or Flight Simulator X.gexutx depending on which I want disabled/enabled. You also have to swap out the scenery.cfg and for P3D you'd also need to swap out the terrain.cfg since it doesn't reside in the root sim folder. I use a batch file to do all the swapping with a double click. Don't try to run the GEX configurator when you have FTX active and likewise don't try to run FTX Central when you have GEX active.

I knew someone here had more knowledge than me.  Thanks, everyone - this was a big help.

Vic your install seems like exactly what I want to do.  Any words of wisdom so I don't screw it up!?

Ron

Just be sure your orbx REGIONS ( NCA, SCA, etc) are above UTX in the scenery library. Use the FTX Central to set an insertion point above UTX and when if you enable or disable a region it wall always be in the right place.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Older thread, but i spotted this.. i wasnt sure why it was suggested to NOT run UTX with Vector at the time time.. its been my understanding the two compliment each other.. you run the UTX above the Vector entries.  This is what I do.. not sure thats its caused any issues, but maybe there are visual ones i havent picked up on yet.. curious..

(i also have ftxg and gex, still wish there was an easy way to toggle between the two, but thats pretty much impossible.. for testing i just have two "clean" installs, one with ftxg and one with gex and i can compare by renaming the folders if i need to. )  I was pretty much set on GEX at this point though.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Vector consumes more VAS than UTX so it's your decision. I have both installed and active. I have UTX Layered above Vector so where both are installed, I get UTX - areas where UTX doesn't cover, I get Vector. Works just fine as long as you are aware of the VAS issues.

Vic