Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Not impressed at all

So yesterday I took the plunge and bought P3D v3 academic license in hope that it will run better and more stable than FSX DX10. How wrong I was.

Basically everything below 30fps is unflyable, it stutters like hell and FPS are worse than FSX even at lower settings + FSX still looks a ton better with Reshade.

I haven't tweaked my cfg so far, only tried affinitymask once and changed my settings hundreds of times without any noticeable difference.

My PCs specs are:

GTX770 4GB OC

i7 4770k 4,3GHz

8GB RAM

P3D installed on separate SSD

Win10 64bit

3 monitors 5980 * 1080

So far I have ORBX FTX Global, ASN SP4, Rex 4 textures, EzDok, FlyTampa Sydney and Majestic Q400 installed and did a small comparison with FSX as addons are the same.

Loaded up the Q400 at YSSY in FSX, 26fps, smooth as a childs butt. Same test in P3D, 20fps with stutters (28fps on 1 monitor, still unacceptable given the not so high settings).

My P3D settings are quite moderate, shadows only for VC and clouds 10km, no tesselation, no traffic, scenery dense, buildings normal, no water reflections, no HDR.

Yet the GPU is stressed at 100% but the CPU only 35%. I'm all in for a refund at the moment except someone could help me on this.

• Upvote 1

There must be sth wrong with your installation. Most of us P3Dv3.x user can run P3Dv3 smoothly. For example, I can fly from OMDB FlyTampa)  to YSSY (FlyTampa), FTX AU, ASN, MT6, with PMDGs 777. Experience is smooth with moderate to medium settings. FPS are between 20-25 which is fine for me as long as it is stutter-free.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

There must be sth wrong with your installation. Most of us P3Dv3.x user can run P3Dv3 smoothly. For example, I can fly from OMDB FlyTampa)  to YSSY (FlyTampa), FTX AU, ASN, MT6, with PMDGs 777. Experience is smooth with moderate to medium settings. FPS are between 20-25 which is fine for me as long as it is stutter-free.

Which specs and settings? I should also add that I only have MSAA at 4x, no SGSS. Also tried with HT off as suggested by others, no difference :sad:

I just bought the monthy dev license, and maintained it for 2 months.

I am back in FSX with the Fixer, but that's not because I didn't find P3D3 SUPERB!!!! It was  by far the most performant version of any of the MSFS / P3D versions I tried, out of the box.

The PMDG 777 performed much better than it does in FSX:SE with DX10 Fixer mode, and with ASN. I also used ORBX FTX Global.

The only reason I abbandoned P3D was because I am much more involved with DCS World these days, and also expecting the News from DTG FS, which may well revolutionize the flight simulation World in just a few days :-) after their first announcement...

But P3D3 was simply amazing in terms of performance and stability for me!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

No wonder a 770 is trash, sold mine last week and got a 12GB Titan.  Hardware must advance with software.  You got left behind.  Most folks are running 980s or thereabouts.

No wonder a 770 is trash, sold mine last week and got a 12GB Titan.  Hardware must advance with software.  You got left behind.  Most folks are running 980s or thereabouts.

The 770 is still a decent card. I've used P3D v2 both with a GTX 670 and a 970. The biggest difference was how the cards handled the shadows, as long as I turned them down the GTX 670 was fine. The 970 allowed me to turn them up a fair amount.

P3D v2/3 is still not that graphically advanced compared to contemporary AAA titles, though they are slowly implementing more GPU-dependent features. As long as it stays 32-bit though, it's not going to be able to fully utilize current-day hardware.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Sorry, but that's rubbish. I have a 2GB GTX 770 GPU, and it can run P3D v3.1 just fine at high detail settings, 16x AF, 4x MSAA, and 4x SGSS! You just need to stick to 1920 x 1080 resolution on a single monitor. There must be something wrong with the OP's installation, because his PC is only a fraction less powerful than mine.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Running 3 monitors at 5980x1080 using a single 970...hmm...

Richard Åsberg

Sorry, but that's rubbish. I have a 2GB GTX 770 GPU, and it can run P3D v3.1 just fine at high detail settings, 16x AF, 4x MSAA, and 4x SGSS! You just need to stick to 1920 x 1080 resolution on a single monitor. There must be something wrong with the OP's installation, because his PC is only a fraction less powerful than mine.

Yea but he's trying to push 3 times as many pixels as you. I agree something seems to be off. OP have you tried running just one screen to see how the performance changes? Maybe your 770 is bottlenecking a multi monitor setup.

P3Dv3 @ 5980x1080 on a single GTX770...there is your problem.

Remember, this is NOT FSX. The rendering engine has been completely re-worked in P3Dv3 to take advantage of modern GPU's - especially with the Tessellation function.

If you have the funds to upgrade your GPU I'm certain it will make a huge difference.

But, as suggested above, try running just one monitor @ 1080p to see if your performance improves - if it does, then you can be fairly certain that the GTX770 just isn't powerful enough.

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Ah, yes. I didn't notice the three monitors stated at the bottom of his list. Apologies to jfmitch for not checking that! At least we know a quick solution :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

So yesterday I took the plunge and bought P3D v3 academic license in hope that it will run better and more stable than FSX DX10. How wrong I was.

Basically everything below 30fps is unflyable, it stutters like hell and FPS are worse than FSX even at lower settings + FSX still looks a ton better with Reshade.

I haven't tweaked my cfg so far, only tried affinitymask once and changed my settings hundreds of times without any noticeable difference.

My PCs specs are:

GTX770 4GB OC

i7 4770k 4,3GHz

8GB RAM

P3D installed on separate SSD

Win10 64bit

3 monitors 5980 * 1080

So far I have ORBX FTX Global, ASN SP4, Rex 4 textures, EzDok, FlyTampa Sydney and Majestic Q400 installed and did a small comparison with FSX as addons are the same.

Loaded up the Q400 at YSSY in FSX, 26fps, smooth as a childs butt. Same test in P3D, 20fps with stutters (28fps on 1 monitor, still unacceptable given the not so high settings).

My P3D settings are quite moderate, shadows only for VC and clouds 10km, no tesselation, no traffic, scenery dense, buildings normal, no water reflections, no HDR.

Yet the GPU is stressed at 100% but the CPU only 35%. I'm all in for a refund at the moment except someone could help me on this.

Ok what you need to do when entering the program hit Ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager,click the processes tab and find prepar3d.exe,right click and select affinity,then click all CPU's then click OK and enjoy p3dv3. It boosts me by about 20 fps and gets rid of stutters. Also go into your prepar3d.cfg and add the fiber time fraction =.1 tweak. Your 4770k should be able to handle it as my 4790k does just fine. I will say that the GTX 770 will be maxed out in V3 heck even my 980ti gets a good bit used. I only use p3dv3 for light planes amd biz jets as I find complex airliner performance (Airbus X) to be much lower in p3dv3 vs fsx dx10. Also why are you only getting 26fps in dx10 I get 40 in the Dash 8 in dx10? What tweaks do you use?

Edit: never mind I see your using 3 monitors, ever thought of just getting one big one? I'm quite happy with my 32"2560x1440p monitor

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Did no one see the "GPU is stressed at 100% but the CPU only 35%"??

His video card can't handle the load.... and he's complaining that the software is at fault. LOL :smile:

• Upvote 1

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Folks,

P3D v3.1 worked pretty well on my Sandy at 4.5 with a GTX570 - just went through the expense of an upgrade to a GTX970 and whike it performs a little better - it wasn't orders of magnitude better... I lock my frames at 28 and it seems very smooth and usable... No further interest in FSX...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I have the same CPU and SLI GTX970SC but also FTX AustraliaSP4. What gate did do test at 1920x1080? (Dash8 Pro i am at 40fps at gate 55) high settings 8xMSAA 

P3DV3.1 is really so much better than FSX DX10.

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png