Sign in to follow this  
armchair_pilot

Not impressed at all

Bottom line is FSX will probably perform better with older video cards, but P3D will be better optimized for current and future generations of video cards.  GTX 970 is probably the entry point video card for P3D if you want comparable performance as FSX.

Hi Folks,

P3D v3.1 worked pretty well on my Sandy at 4.5 with a GTX570 - just went through the expense of an upgrade to a GTX970 and whike it performs a little better - it wasn't orders of magnitude better... I lock my frames at 28 and it seems very smooth and usable... No further interest in FSX...

Regards,

Scott

That's because you probably don't use the resolution the OP uses. With my 1080i monitor I also hardly noticed a difference between my current GTX 970 and the GTX 980 Ti I once tested.

If the OP's GTX 770 is good or not totally depends on what you are trying to do with it. ;) In his case it obviously isn't. My GTX 780 is currently giving me the best flightsim experience I have ever had in my life but that is due to various factors, like the resolution I use, a few settings I lowered a few weeks ago and a few new addons I have. It simply depends on what you are trying to achieve and what you are looking at if a GPU is good enoug or not. Not a single currently existing GPU is 'good enough' on its own.

Ok what you need to do when entering the program hit Ctrl-alt-del and bring up task manager,click the processes tab and find prepar3d.exe,right click and select affinity,then click all CPU's then click OK and enjoy p3dv3. It boosts me by about 20 fps and gets rid of stutters. Also go into your prepar3d.cfg and add the fiber time fraction =.1 tweak. Your 4770k should be able to handle it as my 4790k does just fine. I will say that the GTX 770 will be maxed out in V3 heck even my 980ti gets a good bit used. I only use p3dv3 for light planes amd biz jets as I find complex airliner performance (Airbus X) to be much lower in p3dv3 vs fsx dx10. Also why are you only getting 26fps in dx10 I get 40 in the Dash 8 in dx10? What tweaks do you use?

Edit: never mind I see your using 3 monitors, ever thought of just getting one big one? I'm quite happy with my 32"2560x1440p monitor

Bear in mind that's at FTs YSSY and DX10 always performed worse than DX9 for me but I'd like to stick with DX10 because OOMs are much less frequent. 3 monitors work just fine, GPU doesn't even come close to 100% half the time in FSX. The problem with 1 big monitor is I'd always have to crank up the resolution far beyond 1080p, otherwise it's a pixelated mess.

EDIT: On one 1080p monitor I get 8fps more and that's it. Still below 30, still stutters...

Did no one see the "GPU is stressed at 100% but the CPU only 35%"??

His video card can't handle the load.... and he's complaining that the software is at fault. LOL :smile:

Maybe my card can't handle the load, but in FSX dx10 the card almost goes to sleep. I've seen other people with single GTX 980tis running P3D v3 at 4k res. nearly maxed at payware airports and PMDG aircraft at 30fps. If one GTX980ti can do that at 4k then why can't my GPU do it at 3/4 the resolution and low settings with a much lighter aircraft? That card maybe costs twice as much as mine but it never is twice as powerful.

I have the same CPU and SLI GTX970SC but also FTX AustraliaSP4. What gate did do test at 1920x1080? (Dash8 Pro i am at 40fps at gate 55) high settings 8xMSAA 

P3DV3.1 is really so much better than FSX DX10.

Michael Moe

I tested performance at RW34L which gives my performance the biggest hit.

Bear in mind that's at FTs YSSY and DX10 always performed worse than DX9 for me but I'd like to stick with DX10 because OOMs are much less frequent. 3 monitors work just fine, GPU doesn't even come close to 100% half the time in FSX. The problem with 1 big monitor is I'd always have to crank up the resolution far beyond 1080p, otherwise it's a pixelated mess.

Maybe my card can't handle the load, but in FSX dx10 the card almost goes to sleep. I've seen other people with single GTX 980tis running P3D v3 at 4k res. nearly maxed at payware airports and PMDG aircraft at 30fps. If one GTX980ti can do that at 4k then why can't my GPU do it at 3/4 the resolution and low settings with a much lighter aircraft? That card maybe costs twice as much as mine but it never is twice as powerful.

I ran a 32"1080p TV before I got my 32"moniter to see if I liked the size and honestly I couldn't tell the difference in quality between 1080p and 1440p

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Running 3 monitors at 5980x1080 using a single 970...hmm...

This^^ is your problem - with P3D pushing more over to the GPU to handle, your poor GPU is getting drowned...

JComm, Where can one get more information on the FlightSim you mentioned here? I did a google and did not get much.

Thanks

Bob

Bear in mind that's at FTs YSSY and DX10 always performed worse than DX9 for me but I'd like to stick with DX10 because OOMs are much less frequent.

Even FSX in DX10 mode can't match the VAS performance of P3D v3. At least, the boxed original version of FSX can't.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi Folks,

P3D v3.1 worked pretty well on my Sandy at 4.5 with a GTX570 - just went through the expense of an upgrade to a GTX970 and whike it performs a little better - it wasn't orders of magnitude better... I lock my frames at 28 and it seems very smooth and usable... No further interest in FSX...

Regards,

Scott

Yes, locking in your frame rate makes a Big difference. Mine is as smooth as it can be at 31 fps lock in.

Regards

Lamar Wright

There must be sth wrong with your installation. Most of us P3Dv3.x user can run P3Dv3 smoothly. For example, I can fly from OMDB FlyTampa) to YSSY (FlyTampa), FTX AU, ASN, MT6, with PMDGs 777. Experience is smooth with moderate to medium settings. FPS are between 20-25 which is fine for me as long as it is stutter-free.

Except we don't know What The Frak your System Specs are because some Avsim miscreant(s) either directly or indirectly;

1. Neglected proper back-up; Or

2. Decided to not display the data that is already in and still lives in our profile; or

3. Outright deleted system specs from our profiles database...

And if purposefully done, was/were derelict in their duty to the AVSIM community at large, by arrogantly, neglecting to ask our opinion about the efficacy of displaying our system specs.

Whatever the case, Shame on you Avsim....

The bottom line is:

The above statement is irrelevant because we have no specs with which to compare.

Cheers,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

To the OP:

Frame lock and a proper affinity mask helped transform my vomit-inducing stutter-fest of P3D into a much smoother experience. See my tests on this.

http://www.avsim.com/topic/477057-a-frame-time-analysis-of-p3d-v3-effects-of-cpu-affinity-frame-lock-and-ht/

Also, something about the clouds has changed (for the worse) as the code further diverged from the FSX base. They really need some optimization as they do not utilize our modern video cards well.

Cloud rendering will eat your GPU for lunch. For example, my GPU will see about 100% usage with an overcast layer, and about a 60% usage in clear conditions. You do not see anywhere near a hit with FSX. I've confirmed this behavior with several members of the community, and the only solution seems to upgrade to a more powerful GPU at the moment (such as a GTX 970 at the minimum) to overcome the performance hit. I know that sounds ridiculous to upgrade just for clouds, but that is the reality of the P3D engine, and there is a reason many members here are sporting GTX 980s or more for P3D.

Some people will argue tessellation requires a beefy GPU, but I will argue the performance hit with tessellation is much lower than an overcast layer with antialiasing enabled.

OMG guys I got it!!!! I had dynamic reflections set at ultra, after setting it to medium BOOM, fps boost up to 30!! Somehow my GPU had to throw up with that setting, but man am I happy now. I could even raise my scenery settings up to very dense and enable HDR, no problems. 30 friggin fps, stutterfree at FT YSSY, something I could only dream of in FSX. So much for "That GPU can't handle this resolution" :P Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless :)

• Upvote 1

Boy this thread had me worried.  I am eventually going to make the move to P3Dv3+ and don't have the money to go high end like some of you folks are talking about.

I am glad to hear that there was a setting that could be adjusted to make if flyable again!

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

LOL All this talk about hardware and setup and tweaks and whatever and a simple change of a single option does the trick. Great stuff.

This topic is a perfect example of how hard, if not impossible, it is to discuss flightsim performance on a forum without knows absolutely EVERY DETAIL about ones complete setup. Misunderstanding like this happens daily over here and usually no one ever finds out we are actually talking about things that don't matter at all to the discussed problem. People get scared of switching to the sim, people are misled by totally wrong conclusions, people have continuing problems due to thinking they know what it is all about while they don't and so on. It keeps on amazing me how discussions can go on and on and how people post their view on things while knowing absolutely nothing about the setup of the system that's being discussed. A simple list of the hardware like in the OP is utterly useless, so this topic shows. We need to know EVERY setting. If the OP had posted ALL his settingS EVERYONE here would have said immediately 'Lower that reflection option'! And yet I am sure later on today or tomorrow this practice will continue. Seems we never learn. We should refuse to answer posts that don't give us 1. ALL the hardware info and 2. ALL the sim settings, including a copy of the config.

P.S. The above is said in general and I am not saying the OP did something wrong. ;)

Yeah, great there was a simple solution!

However I still don't think everything that has been said lacks importance to a certain extent. Running 3 screens at a fairly high resolution using a single 970 could be asking for performance issues but of course it all depends on what settings you settle for and what addons you're using.

Richard Åsberg

LOL All this talk about hardware and setup and tweaks and whatever and a simple change of a single option does the trick. Great stuff.

This topic is a perfect example of how hard, if not impossible, it is to discuss flightsim performance on a forum without knows absolutely EVERY DETAIL about ones complete setup. Misunderstanding like this happens daily over here and usually no one ever finds out we are actually talking about things that don't matter at all to the discussed problem. People get scared of switching to the sim, people are misled by totally wrong conclusions, people have continuing problems due to thinking they know what it is all about while they don't and so on. It keeps on amazing me how discussions can go on and on and how people post their view on things while knowing absolutely nothing about the setup of the system that's being discussed. A simple list of the hardware like in the OP is utterly useless, so this topic shows.

So true. Actually I had dynamic reflections on ultra all the time but didn't notice it since I thought it was greyed out as I had HDR turned off. Glad I found it quick enough to cancel my refund, I thought something with either my setup or the sim itself was wrong.