Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

DX10 without shadows....

This may sound strange, but to be honest I couldn't care less about having, or not having, shadows in my FSX:SE. I want above all performance, and acceptable AA, when flying the heaviest add-ons ( pmdg 777 ) with ASN filling the skies with dense clouds and storms... 

The main reason I use the Fixer is because I believe I can get better performance with DX10 mode from my GPU ( 960 GT 4GB Nvidia Card ), so...

- If I disable all shadows in FSX menus and in the Fixer Controller, can I expect to fetch a few more FPS ?

I am getting down to 15 fps, and that's really bad compared to the 25+ I was getting as my bottom mark in P3Dv3 with the same addons ( ORBX FTX Global and ASN ), so, before I decide to go back to DX9 and try, I would really like to know what could give me additional performance since I am **only** interested in using FSX:SE with the PMDGs, RealAirs ( Duke and Legacy ) and A2As... No legacy stuff and only Madeira ( Aerosoft ) scenery appart from the FSX:SE default, and not really interested in using any of the default aircraft....

What options should I enable / disable in the Controller to be able to push my performance to the max, in DX10 Fixed mode ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

VC shadows cost quite a bit of CPU for pmdg so yeah u may find a gain.

The biggest fps killer with the fixer is converting all effects, I recommend lights only or all but particle effects.

The other fps killer is very high AA levels (8x)

I am at 4x AA only ( with the corresponding SGSS 4x in Nvidia ) and in the "Effects Options" I have:

Convert Effects - ticked

Light Effects Only - on the dropdown

Exclude Orbx Street Lights - not ticked

Exclude Shockwave Lights - ticked

Should I also tick the "Exclude Orbx Street Lights" ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I would exclude them too.

Are there any settings in fsx you could reduce? Water slider? Check ground shadows aren't set they cost frames too.

Is this low frame rate everywhere or is it e,g in heavy clouds?

Steve, the frames are perfectly acceptable now.

- I have set autogen to Low, and global scenery detail to Med.

- I have all shadows disables ( aircraft cast on ground and self, buildings, ... )  no shadows at all, but I didn't touch the shadows menus of the Fixer itself, because I believe they will have nbo impact this way...

- I am usingh ORBX FTX Global, with ORBX stree lights enabled and ASN for the weather.

It is true that under denser weather scenarios I get lower frames, of course, but I guess that's because I am only on an i5 2500 @ 3,3GHz... No miracles, and FSX:SE is an old app... I get much better performance for instance when running DCS World ( fixed 60 fps with a lot highre graphic settings... ), but it's a recent 64 bit app...

Tell me please: If I tick the "Exclude Orbx Street Lights" from the "Effects Options" menu, will it be applied, or do I have to re-install ORBX FTX Global ?

Regarding water settings: The tutorials for the DX9 mode and Nvidia settings used to recommend using MED / HIGH water graphics levels if one decided to set "UsePools=0" in FSX.CFG. Since I have a GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 card, I have set "UsePools=0", and my water is at mid/high settings, but I could lower it, if that is not necessary with DX10 mode ?

Just one more detail: I am also using REX Soft Clouds and converted DXT5 cloud textures - I believe this helped with my frame rates too, and cloud depiction, but I don't know if the Fixer deals with those textures too ?

Main Simulation Rig:

To answer your questions

You do not need to reinstall fsx global, the change is applied when you change the option in the controller

The honest answer is that I don't know. I would suspect that you can reduce it to low, no harm in trying. The idea in dx9 was that you got scenery spikes and slowing the GPU down by setting higher water avoided this. I don't believe that there is any reason to think dx10 will behave the same, but I haven't tried it out.

The fixer doesn't change any textures . So feel free to select the best options in Rex as there will be no interference.

Thx Steve!

Main Simulation Rig: