Sign in to follow this  
ejoiner

A big day in my house.

Thought I would share some info on a very good day for my household today in this group of friends. My son Clint is 17 years old. he has been working on his pilots license for some time and solo'ed today at KFTY (Fulton County - Brown Field in Atlanta). He was very ready and was flawless on his three take offs and landings. I was really proud of him for reasons other than pure pilotage. I got my license over 20 years ago. What I learned from that exercise was that I could conquer a serious academic and skill exercise and liberate myself not only from my parents, bosses, teachers, and significant others...but literally the bounds of earth! Freedom! Real Freedom. I did something that wasnt common amongst my peers...and was special in its own community...worldwide...and gave me confidence to succeed in anything if I applied the same level of seriousness to the study and effort. I knew as a dad that I wanted my oldest son to know that lesson. I couldnt teach it...he had to teach it to himself. His instructor and his family could cheer him on...but at the end of the day, the lad had to make his own way. He did that. There are benchmarks in parenthood. This was one in my house. I thought I would share because this meant a lot. Clint (my son) wont realize how much this gift meant until much later.EricPS...we did start the day at McCollum Field watching P-51's, AT-6's, PT-26's and Stearmans at a local airshow so on the whole it was a kick ARSE aviation day!! I got video of it all. :-)

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest SoarPics

Congrats to Clint for reaching a life milestone not enough people ever achieve... and for having a terrific Dad.:-beerchug to you both,GregCongrats to Clint, too, for the solo.

Im repaying a debt done by my own dad... :-)I just facilitated transmission of the secret of freedom. That lesson can be learned many ways, but flying does it in a very pure way. Literally you take your life in your own hands but the benefits of that responsibility are marvelous indeed. The effect on a young person growing up is both pivotal and prodigal. (All of the sudden...the old mans not the dummy he was before.) My experience is that kids only believe their own data. When they get the chance to really figure out that at least some of life can be conquered, the rest of the crowd better watch out. EJ

Guest Beemer

Brings back memories - I got my private ticket 21 years ago at KFTY!Thanks for the story.Don

Congratulations Clint and Eric:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

What a great post Eric. I'm sitting here in Lakeland, Florida, watching this storm approach (as are others in this forum), and your post was cause for some reflection. Having grown up as the son of a fighter pilot and combat veteran, I was pretty much raised in an airplane, but that first solo (at age 17) probably did more to affirm my ability to accomplish anything I deemed worthy, than anything I'd ever been taught or told.The true benefit, though, is the commonality you now share with your son. God willing, over the years to come you will share more than you can now imagine. My Dad (who lives about 500 miles away) is 77 years old, is still current and flys regularly from his private strip. I'm now 51, have two daughters and two granddaughters (there's also a son-in-law in there too). I get up there several times a year, and he'll come down here periodically. I keep two of our planes down here and he keeps one up there, so we have toys to play with in either instance...well, actually he now has two as I just flew the 206 up there to escape this storm.Incidentally, we still have in our possession a 1946 Cessna 120 which we've had since 1956 (I was 3). We have flown five generations of our family in our planes - from my grandparents to my grandchildren. The point is there are few things that can establish that kind of enduring bond and relationship. You've done well Eric. Now feed and nurture what you've begun.Best Regards,LeonHoly Cow...what a gust we just had! This thing's about to get exciting.

Guest Ken_Salter

Congratulations!P.S: I'm going to move this to the Hangar forum where it is more appropriate.

Guest Whisperjet

Eric,Thanks for this inspirational post and congrats to you all (not just to your son but to the whole family for the support given to him).I am not a pilot but have been interested in aviation for more years than I care to admit and one of my regrets is not being able to gain a license. However, my son has continued the "aviation interest" in our household and indeed was the one that introduced me to flightsim as "the next best thing" to flying. You mentioned "There are benchmarks in parenthood" and we are now coming up for one. My son is about to embark on his mission to obtain an ATPL with the world recognised Oxford Air Training Services here in the UK with the full support of his mother and me (and the bank!?!). We have met the people at OATS several times and we are very impressed with the set-up there. He is well aware of the "seriousness to the study and effort" you have mentioned and although daunting, is determined to succeed. Good for him! "I knew as a dad that I wanted my oldest son to know that lesson. I couldnt teach it...he had to teach it to himself. His instructor and his family could cheer him on...but at the end of the day, the lad had to make his own way. He did that." With proper encouragement and not pressure, I hope my son can make his own way too."Win, lose or draw" with this we will still be proud of him for making the effort to try and achieve "his biggest goal in life" so far."Go for it!"Ian

Thanks Ian. Some things are the same the world over. The pressures and the pleasures of being a parent is common to us all. Its great to see your kids do well. Your son I know will do wonderfully with you behind him!Best,Eric