Sign in to follow this  
louisgr

Update your FSX navaid database to the latest AIRAC!

Hello Everyone,

I came across this web site today as I was trying to figure out why KCMH ILS 28L in FSX was so outdated and how I was going to fix it.

http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html

The site contains files to update the FSX/P3D nav database (VOR, NDB, ILS, Runway Headings, etc.) to the latest AIRAC 1602. It is free. I have been using these updates for a few hours and all is good so far. This is a major improvement to the really outdated FSX database. I did not know this site existed or that you could update the stock FSX database. I am just sharing the information. If you already knew about this then disregard this post.

happy "updated" flying.

cheers

Louis

Louis,

I hope you read the FAQ section on the website.  There are quite a few drawbacks to performing this operation and it may interfere with 3-rd party apps.  I would highly recommend that people read the FAQ before proceeding.

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

I have not encountered any issues from updating the navaids yet. So far it's been great having P3D/FSX updated with current navaids so it *finally* matches add on aircraft's external data.

This is quite amazing!

I had no idea that the runways would get renumbered in the scenery... very nice  :smile:

Now runway 36L at KTPA is 01L, just like on my GTN map...  I like!  :wub:

Bert

Nice tool but if you fly planes like PMDG, etc., that use their own navdata, then I haven't found a need to update my stock FSX data.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, does it not bother you that some runways have the old markings on them.. or do you only use addon airports that have been updated?

Bert

How to backup existing FSX default databse in case want to revert ?

The installer backs up the default files automatically.

Todd

Well, does it not bother you that some runways have the old markings on them.. or do you only use addon airports that have been updated?

I only use addon airports if you were asking me. A good option for those that use default airports however. Although to be honest, even if a runway has the old number on it, it doesn't bother me much when I'm landing because I don't really spend time looking at it as long as I'm sure I'm heading for the correct runway.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have to say, as appealing as this is, and I truly appreciate the work, I doubt I'll use it anytime soon. Why? Well back before my FS9 system crashed, I spend a few hundred on every chart (sectional, terminal, VFR planning, low and high IFR enroute, all 50 states approach booklets). So I think I spend 400 dollars IIRC. They're from 2007 and match the FSX data almost perfectly.

Some day I suppose I'll update. I have downloaded the files but will wait since that would negate all that paper I bought lol. It would be nice to be able to use modern flight plans though. Most of what I look up for IFR on flightaware is different now. I have to make my own and rework the plan. Plus with the GTN750 it'd be nice to have it match. :-/

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Hervé's site is also worth visiting for many other reasons, including the excellent way he organized precious information about general flight dynamics and in particular FSX's FDM...

You can also update the magnetic declination data which is out of date with present day values.

PMDG has, as far as I know, no problem with this updates because, at least in my 777, I have an option for the aircraft navigation systems to match exactly the courses on the FSX scenery for alignment with ILSs... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

They're from 2007 and match the FSX data almost perfectly.

Well, you have created your own sim world. However, this approach does not work if you fly online on Vatsim or Ivao, where you need the latest charts on board. The charts must also fit to the sim navdata.

I think, using the above Navaids update from Herve Sors together with Navigraph charts (or other subscribers) is the most covenient way to be more or less up to date with todays world without the need to download charts manually.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Well, you have created your own sim world. However, this approach does not work if you fly online on Vatsim or Ivao, where you need the latest charts on board. The charts must also fit to the sim navdata.

I think, using the above Navaids update from Herve Sors together with Navigraph charts (or other subscribers) is the most covenient way to be more or less up to date with todays world without the need to download charts manually.

This is true but I don't fly online. No reason really. Just never done it. I'm glad it's being updated though. That's great. I use to update certain things manually in FS9 and it took forever. He's obviously found a faster method to compile the data lol.

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

This is true but I don't fly online. No reason really. Just never done it. I'm glad it's being updated though. That's great. I use to update certain things manually in FS9 and it took forever. He's obviously found a faster method to compile the data lol.

As much as I appreciate and use Hervé's update, I also think your approach is the more correct and well adapted if one wants to use MSFS as an IFR training and proficiency tool.

One could use a fictious World as well. The way you use it, you cdan actually have things mapped plausibly to real life, even if some are out of sync with present day data, but they're perfectly up-to-date with your data which is more than enough!

Keep it that way!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...