Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Megascenery California 4X missing large section of scenery

Wondered if others have seen the missing section of tiles that covers Los Angeles from the ocean to the end of the scenery to the East. There are 16 files and I installed all of the files. This section is definitely missing.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Do not have any of the 4X yet.  I installed a ton of 2X and Megascenery Ultra cities on a new system in October and as I fly the country I am finding a number of missing "sections".  I sincerely wish they would provide maps with each scenery showing a grid of the sections labeled with numbers relating to the scenery installation files.  It is such a time consuming process to reinstall all of them.

I also wish they had cleaned up the color and tone discrepancies between neighboring states before developing deeper res scenery.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I haven't taken the 50% offer yet... I have 2X California South and LA-San Diego Ultra.  Does the 4X give me anything those two don't already cover?  I think the res on Ultra Cities is 50 cm and the 4X is the same but for more sq miles?

Related question:  Are the LAX and SAN airports in the Ultra Cities package just default airport scenery?  In other words is it worthwhile installing either freeware or payware airports for LAX or SAN if I already have the MSE Ultra?

Thanks,

Bruce

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I haven't taken the 50% offer yet... I have 2X California South and LA-San Diego Ultra.  Does the 4X give me anything those two don't already cover?  I think the res on Ultra Cities is 50 cm and the 4X is the same but for more sq miles?

Really good question!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I just got the product today. The pictures for the product on their website are impressive but I have not seen that clarity yet and it's too early for me to make an assessment. I have the Ultra series too and so far have not seen any difference whatsoever. I figured I would make a mistake buying the scenery but at 50% off decided to give it a try.   Been busy with the Super Bowl and Denver's destruction of Frank's team, the Carolina Panther's.  I was sure they would beat Denver but Denver's defense really showed up tonight.  I'm sure Carolina will not allow that to happen next year as I expect they will be in the Super Bowl next year too.

Hopefully MegaScenery developer's will figure out why a whole section of the scenery is missing and get it fixed soon.  It comes with 16 large files and all files were properly installed using the installer that came with the product.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Keep us informed. I am also interested in how this new scenery mates to surround MSE sceneries, especially as I mentioned above in regard to color and tone.  I have 47 of the 50 MSE2 states and about 12 UltraRes cities and there are few boundaries between all of them that are not too easily distinguishable. 

Per the Super Bowl. A friendly bet is a friendly bet.  Jerry Richardson lost such a bet to John Elway so Jerry will be getting his ride home to Charlotte in Elway's HondaJet. With of course a stop in Denver! LOL!

Broncos%20HondaJet-M.jpg

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Hi Frank,

I just enabled Los Angeles to San Diego Ultra Hi-Res and see no difference in the products.  I enabled both the California Lower South and the Ultra Hi-Res so I could get those tiles I'm missing on the strip covering Los Angeles and you cannot see any difference. 

MissingTiles.png
This is the area where the tiles are missing.
WithUltraHiRes.png
This is same area but with Ultra HiRes enabled
NewCalif_Lower4X.png
This is California Lower 4X on flight enroute to Palm Springs
UltraHiRes.png
This is Ultra HiRes of approx the same area

I really see no difference.  I also own about 44 US States plus several of the Ultra Hi Res.  I also own Florida 4X.  I wish they would have stated the differences between California Lower 4X's and the Ultra Hi Res scenery in their promotional material.  If anyone owns Ultra Hi Res I would not recommend getting the 4x's for the same area.

EDIT:  I took the pictures after placing Ultra HiRes above California Lower 4X and then moving California Lower 4X's above Ultra HiRes in the scenery library as the highest takes precedence.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim. Good shots and info.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Thanks Jim!

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I also wish they had cleaned up the color and tone discrepancies between neighboring states before developing deeper res scenery.

I don't need higher res, I need night lighting.

EDIT:  I took the pictures after placing Ultra HiRes above California Lower 4X and then moving California Lower 4X's above Ultra HiRes in the scenery library as the highest takes precedence.

So forgive me if I'm remembering this wrong but that's also why I want to post in regards to this so that I can correct my own understanding of how photoreal worked if I am indeed remembering this wrong...

Does it matter what order in the scenery library photo real is placed?  Won't the highest resolution be chosen regardless?  In other words, if you have both Hi-Res and 4x enabled, you'd see the 4x(assuming that's a higher res than the Hi-Res.  I don't know) regardless of their order.  If that's the case, then that could explain why there appears to be no difference at all.

I thought that's how it worked but like I said, maybe I'm remembering it wrong.  Also, I'm not sure if you're in P3D or FSX.  So maybe that's how it works in FSX but not in P3D any more?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Does it matter what order in the scenery library photo real is placed?  Won't the highest resolution be chosen regardless?  

In my case that has not ever been my understanding.  My understanding is that what is higher in the hierarchy (or list, or layers) takes precedence!  

Frank Patton
ASUS 

That was my understanding too Frank but Kevin may be right.  Nevertheless, I did take images with just California 4X enabled and then just LA_San Diego HiRes enabled.  There are some slight color changes but I do not see any difference in resolution.  Note in the HiRes photo, in the horizon, the scenery is not as far out in the distance as California 4X so the California 4X scenery covers a larger area (or appears that is the case):

California4X.png

California 4X
LA_SanDiego_UltraHiRes.png

LA_SanDiego HiRes

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Jim. 

For me? I primarily fly the TDv2 and MilViz B55 Baron at altitudes ranging from 5,000 to FL 250. Reminds me of a factory representatives presentation about two models of hay balers about 30 years ago. The larger model had a flywheel weighing 450 lbs. The smaller hay baler's flywheel weighed in at about 390 lbs. But he said if you dropped each one on your toes your would not be able to tell the difference....

Frank Patton
ASUS 

It appears the 4X has better color and definitely extends further into the horizon. 

Is there water masking on the Pacific Ocean coast?

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.