Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Editing threads causes html code to be posted

Well, I guess it is html code (not my area of expertise!!).

Like #5, here:

http://www.avsim.com/topic/483131-strange-noise-from-my-pc/

Editing a post often (well, sometimes, not often, but this is by no means a one off) causes this. As a courtesy to readers I clean it up in a text editor, but it can take a while..

Martin

Whenever you post a link (or edit a link), you should click on the "link" button in the menu and copy and paste the link into the link box. That allow integration using BBCode.  I did have HTML format authorized where allowed in the settings and removed that option in the forum settings. 

Wondering how you have the ability to edit a post.  Only moderators are allowed that option.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I was talking about editing one's own posts - I have always been able to do that - surely everyone can?

Regards

That's what I was talking about too.  Editing one's own post.  You can do that w/i 24 hours (I think) but outside that it is not possible.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Think we are at crossed purposes - in my original post above I was talking about editing my own post, which I did within a short time of originally posting it, so I was a bit confused as to why you were surprised I could do it...

so I was a bit confused as to why you were surprised I could do it...

I apologize for the confusion.  I made my comments because of your following comments, "Editing a post often (well, sometimes, not often, but this is by no means a one off) causes this. As a courtesy to readers I clean it up in a text editor, but it can take a while..".  Is your problem solved with my recommendation?

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

To be honest Jim, I am not sure what your original reply means - what is it about 'editing a link'?  Why 'link' (what in fact do you mean by a link?)?

This code oddity sometimes occurs when I have posted and want to change something I wrote (usually stupid typos). I press the 'edit' option below my post and change the text and then press 'save'. About 5% of the time, all that code appears; I hadn't done anything differently. I am editing my posted text, not a link..

This has happened for so long that I am generally in the habit of pressing Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C on my edit before I save it, so that I can easily correct it if all that code appears. Sometimes I forget of course and then have to copy the text into MS Word to get rid of all the visible code as fast as possible...

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Martin

My mistake.  In your OP, I failed to read where you were indicating post #5 in the link you had posted.  When I went to that link you posted, I immediately saw the following:

https://mega.nz/#!rgRxWY6J!kvSfOr6tfAIanzkXkqZzshTU7iTooTjxfXt-LXdkAdQ

Thus I thought you were having a problem posting a link.  I did not read your post completely and that was my error. 

I have no idea why post #5 appeared like it did.  I have little or no knowledge of computer coding.  Perhaps one of our members or another moderator who has computer code knowledge will be able to provide you an answer.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM