Thoughts on GPU and CPU overclocking?

So this is my current setup:

Corsair 500W PU

Core i7 4790K CPU

16GB RAM

Gigabyte GA Z97X - Gaming 7 MB

500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 TI SC GPU

I'm running FSX boxed with multiple PMDG products, Active Sky Next, etc. I want to try to overclock the CPU and GPU in my machine, but not sure where to start with it. Any thoughts on where I should begin to tweak? 

If your 4790k is at base clock, I would definitely recommend looking into overclocking it **assuming that you have a good aftermarket CPU cooler** There are plenty of guides online and youtube videos, I'm sure specific to even your cpu and motherboard. I know its base is 4.0ghz with a boost up to 4.4 on one core, but on my Sandy Bridge 2500k I see a noticeable difference between 4 to 4.2, and 4.2 to 4.5. 

As far as GPU overclocking, I have never done it. Most of the things I have read have advised against it for FSX since it's so CPU dependent. However, I have seen some automated overclocking features built in to the EVGA software, maybe someone else could share their thoughts on that. 

Jim Schroeder

i9 9900k @ 5.0ghz | Gigabyte GTX1080ti | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb 3600 

Flight sim is CPU bound, a bit less so P3D. So your emphasis should be on CPU overclocking. That isn't to say the GPU has no role of course, in fact more so these days with the add-on's we run. But your best bet IS CPU overclocking. Best gains.

Gigabyte may have their own auto overclocking software, but I know nothing about it. Your other option is to overclock manually. as Jim said, there should be plenty of YouTube videos and tutorials out there. Check them out. My advice though is to keep it simple. These days ony a few parameters need to be adjusted to overclock. Not too hard really.

For years I have been overclocking CPU's and RAM with good results.  I have tried overclocking a GPU, it was an Nvidia 6800GT.  I was able to get it to 6800 Ultra speeds, but it ran hot and lost stability.  Since then, I have abandoned GPU overclocking as the results are usually not worth the effort.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Hi...

While I'm no expert - I've had two Gigabyte based PC's and Overclocking couldn't be easier... As mentioned you want a good aftermarket CPU cooler to keep the temps down - during my research Noctua seems to be the preferred brand for air... Keep in mind that if you have to replace a stock CPU cooler - you're going to have to clean your CPU and replace the heat sink compound... Again - there are videos and procedures all over the place...

You want to get a program to watch your CPU temps while you overclock - although most modern motherboards will shutdown the CPU before damaging it... When the temps start going over 80 deg C - then you want to be careful... This won't happen until you put the CPU under load with some testing program though...

Gigabyte specifics - while they provide an addon program to modify settings while running the OS - I prefer to just go into the BIOS and do it - it's on the advanced tab and there is only one setting you have to change - "clock speed multiplier" or something like that - it automatically changes all the voltages to "manage automatically" which you can override but I've never done that...

Start small and gradually work faster - I would expect 500 Mhz increase is a good place to start... I'm running my 2700K which had a base clock of 3.5 Ghz at 4.5 Ghz and it's been running fine for years... It's kind of set it and forget it...

Best of luck...

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Excellent I'll start there...did some research as well on CPU coolers and looks like from what people have tested on the 4790K, these are the top 3:

1. Phanteks PH-TC14-PE
2. Thermalright Silver Arrow
3. Noctua DH-14

If your computer case has the necessary space, you cannot go wrong with the noctua. It is a monster of a cooler, though it needs to be fitted correctly.

Check online for overclocks on your specific mainboard. The Intel "K" processors are easy to overclock following relatively simple guides online. The importrnat thing is to have the cooler installed and running, burn it in (i.e. run the computer for a couple of days or so beofre overclocking it, so the CPU thermal paste you applied has time to spread and form accordingly), then overclock in steps, testing each step as you go. It takes a few days or so, depending on how you can go with the voltage increase (which you will need for higher overclocks)

A

Excellent I'll start there...did some research as well on CPU coolers and looks like from what people have tested on the 4790K, these are the top 3:

1. Phanteks PH-TC14-PE

2. Thermalright Silver Arrow

3. Noctua DH-14

Noctua is the best. And no, not the NH-D14. It's been superseded by the NH-D15. And the new NH-D15S. The 15S has way better compatibility with RAM. One fan, but don't let that bother you, it only makes 2 degrees diference.