Sign in to follow this  
Domobaby

Disk space problem imminent. Looking for solutions

Hi all,

I only have one SSD on my setup which contains both P3D and my OS. It is starting to get very full (<10GB free). 

I do have a HDD with lots and lots of space. Going forward is it possible for me to install scenery onto the HDD? 

Will this slow down anything significant in the sim?

Which files would I need to alter?

Thanks for the help.

Dom

I recently bought a pre-built rig that came with a 128GB SSD and a 2TB hard drive - the SSD was designated the C: drive with Win 10 on it.  I then installed FSX-SE, and quickly began to run out of space, with all the freeware & payware I installed.

So I then got a Samsung EVO 850 500GB from NewEgg for about $160 last month, along with some connection cables (extra $'s). Connecting & then cloning the new SSD took less than 45 minutes (watched a bunch of tutorials to install & clone SSD's).  I will probably use the "old" 128GB SSD only for addon scenery. Of course, the SSD's access folders and files much quicker than HD's. 

Thanks overspeed

That fills me with hope. I will look at tutorials. Do you have to do things a particular way to avoid registry problems with payware bits?...I assume you rename the new drive to reflect the old C: drive.

Just to bump my other question...As you say the SSD is quicker but what kind of negative impact would this translate to in P3D?

IN SHORT: If I put ORBX onto my HDD using Junction Link Magic. Is it merely the P3D load times and not FPS/real time texture loading that is going to slow down...

Your P3D questions are a little above my pay-grade :smile:

Serious, the're for someone more familiar with P3D - I'd only be guessing, which I'm always reluctant to do, especially if you may spend some bucks to add storage space...

The difference is negligible except if you are benchmarking. I w9ould venture a guess that if you compared a really old tech HDD with the state of the art ssd, the difference would still be nanoseconds.

I doubt you would notice any difference in the sim. In a sustained load like the OS, there the difference is more noticeable. Get the fastest HDD you can and keep it no MORE THAN 50% full and you are good to go. As you go over 50% in an HDD, your performance will begin to degrade.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi mate

there is also a freeware program called Linkmagic.it allows users to (like me) Install scenery,aircraft or addon airports to a different drive,then link it to FSX or P3D.only difference i noticed with an SSD was loading times when booting up p3d.as it also accesses your C:\ drive having that on a SSD also helps.

cheers

steve

I'll suggest something less common

I have my P3D installed on C:, on a fast, 256 Go, Samsung SSD

After some weeks of installing aircrafts and sceneries, free disk space was low (10 Go)

I first moved all of my AI traffic, boats + planes (20 Go) to an other drive. Then I NTFS-compressed it (right click / properties). The folder went from 20 Go to something like 6-7

That's why I decided to apply the compression to the main P3D folder on C:. The process took about 20mn to complete and the whole folder went from 100 Go+ to something like 70.

I know compression sound like a bad idea, involving latency time due to decompression before reading, but I did not notice any side effect.

FPS not affected, same loading times, no stutters, nothing. And about 30 Go easily recovered.

I cannot guarantee it would seamlessly apply on different hardware but this is just a matter of ticking a box and waiting. Does not hurt to try.

Will this slow down anything significant in the sim?

The only thing that MAY be slowed down is the loading of the scenery when you enter a "new" area.

As soon as it is loaded - the HDD is not a factor.

As Steve states above using JunctionMagic or LinkMagic will help you offload some space. 

I currently have junction links which keeps my AI aircraft, Addon Scenery, AI Boats off my SSD which is dedicated to P3D. 

I think there is a way to do the Orbx Scenery and move your aircraft out the main folder but may not be worth the anomalies that may occur. 

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I moved my simobjects last night. Freed up 16GB :) Seemed to work fine as I did a flight afterwards