Sign in to follow this  
europrodave

Nose Wheel Pulls Hard to the Left

My apologize if this has been brought up before (couldn't find it), but after a complete re-install, my PMDG 747-4 pulls hard to the left as soon as I get it rolling.

I know it's something I've done or haven't done, just not sure which.

Please advise when able.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.

David Bell

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

CORSAIR 750D High Airflow

I know it's something I've done or haven't done, just not sure which.

Sounds like a calibration issue to me. That or there's a strong wind...

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle.

Thanks for the advise.  I have checked that and calibrated the Logitech Force 3D Pro that I use.  Would you suggest I uninstall and reinstall?

Best regards.

David Bell

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

Would you suggest I uninstall and reinstall?

No. In 99% of the cases that'll do all of nothing but waste time. It also opens you up to various other issues (something goes wrong with the uninstall or new install, etc. etc.) It's literally the absolute last option I'll usually offer.

What are the engine indications?

What is the wind like?

What did you eat for breakfast?

If there's anything you think that might possibly be relevant, share it - help me help you.

Kyle Rodgers

Engines spool up evenly with 103 LBS of fuel.

Zero wind factor.

And just finished a Fruit Smoothie & a litre of black coffee.

The wheel either hardly moves when I turn or it is almost locked in an extreme left position.  I can fight it to keep it straight but as soon as I relax on the yoke, she goes hard left again.

I have just done a complete system reinstall and am starting from scratch reinstalling all my FSX add-ons.  

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

And just finished a Fruit Smoothie & a litre of black coffee.

Sounds like something I need right now...

BRB...

The wheel either hardly moves when I turn or it is almost locked in an extreme left position.  I can fight it to keep it straight but as soon as I relax on the yoke, she goes hard left again.

Yoke? Are you using a yoke with the auto rudder box checked?

I have just done a complete system reinstall and am starting from scratch reinstalling all my FSX add-ons.  

Might you have other USB hardware? Flight Sim likes to assign random, improper axes to things automatically after you first install and run it. As an example, it gave my USB PTT switch a few axes and button commands. As it only has a single button, I don't know why it decided to start duplicating axis assignments there, but it did. Additionally, it assigned all kinds of random stuff to my X-55 on both sides (throttle and stick). Make sure you remove bad axis assignments. I'm guessing your hardware might have a duplicate, 'ghost' rudder assignment somewhere.

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle.

Sorry, it's not a yoke I'm using.  It's a joystick that Im not having any joy with.

I have it checked in the settings and would try and investigate the suggestion about the USB hardware if I knew what or how to do it.

You see,  I'm incredibly good looking but,... not too bright when it comes to this kind of "stuff".

I do appreciate your assistance and patients with me though.

Best regards.

David

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

You see,  I'm incredibly good looking but,... not too bright when it comes to this kind of "stuff".

haha - yin and yang then...

What kind of joystick? Is it the joystick only, or do you have rudder pedals and a throttle, etc?

Kyle Rodgers

Its a Logitech Force 3D Pro.

No Pedals but a small throttle on the joystick stand.

I use a USB for a printer and for a wireless mouse & keyboard.  And "sometimes" for a joyless stick.

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

Its a Logitech Force 3D Pro.
No Pedals but a small throttle on the joystick stand.

Go into your sim settings > controls page. Find the tab for axes and let us know which axes are assigned. If there is a drop down to change devices check that drop down to see if any other devices listed. Switch to any other devices and list which axes are assigned.

Are you using FSUIPC at all?

Kyle Rodgers

So the answer to using FSUIPC is yes.  Just installed it but still having the same issue.

Axes assignments are:

Ailerons Axis     X Axis

Elevator Axis     Y Axis

Rudder Axis      Z Rotation

Throttle Axis      Slider

No boxes checked for "Reverse"

Flight Mode:  Normal

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Its as soon as I move the throttle up enough to get any kind of moment on the taxi way and... "poof".... the nose wheel immediately pops to the 90 degree angle too the left without any input from me.

Weird...

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

So I ddi a uninstall-reinstall and guess what?  That's right, the nose wheel is still not behaving itself.  

From the initial stopped position with engines running, as soon as I throttle up to taxi, it is still darting to the left and continues to pull even after correcting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I can't seem to think what might be the issue as I have been running the Logitech Joystick for years without any problems.  

Not suggestion that it is a PMDG software problem either.  Just wanting to fly.  

Best regards.

David Bell

Intel i9 10900k

EVGA RTX 2070

Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1 TB

Noctua NH D15S

I don't know if this will help at all.  I use PFC rudder set in a home built cockpit.  Many many years ago I had a similar problem; well not quite as extreme but similar.  Basically I had to go into the PFC settings page (available in FSX by pressing ALT and bringing up the different options) and set up a 'null' centre position for the rudder pedals.  This basically meant that any slight movement of the pedals had no effect which means one could taxi in a straight line without any need to touch the pedals.  In my case I had to set an extreme left and right position within the settings page as well.

I would have thought you will have a settings page for your Logitech Joystick, and you may have to set up similar to the above.  

This is the only advice I can offer, but hope it might help.

So I ddi a uninstall-reinstall and guess what?  That's right, the nose wheel is still not behaving itself.  

haha - I seem to recall advising otherwise...

No. In 99% of the cases that'll do all of nothing but waste time. It also opens you up to various other issues (something goes wrong with the uninstall or new install, etc. etc.) It's literally the absolute last option I'll usually offer.

Seriously. In the future, it's really best to save this until you've actually exhausted all other options. It's almost like getting an infection that's causing your heart to flutter and immediately jumping to the conclusion that you need a heart transplant, only to realize the new heart is still messed up and the infection is causing it issues too...but now we have to worry about additional possible complications from surgery.

Here's what would help anyone who passes through this thread:

1. Unplug your hardware and load the sim up 
  2. Get the engines running and then hold F3 down for a second or two to add power. When you roll forward, does it happen?

If it doesn't, then it's your hardware. See the steps below.

1. Arm yourself with the Windows Snipping Tool (Start > [start typing 'snip' and it'll come up]) - hit ESC when it opens and masks the screen because it'll immediately go into "take a screenshot" mode and we're not there yet.
  2. Start the sim up, load into a flight, and open up FSUIPC (Add-ons > FSUIPC...)
  3. Go to the Axis Assignment tab, move your rudder axis, and then take a screenshot.
  4. Post it here.

Also, it wasn't clear in your earlier post:

Is auto-rudder checked or unchecked?

Kyle Rodgers

Just cruising the forum and happened across this thread. Have you looked in the sim's contoller assignments? Your symptoms sound suspiciously like there's a rudder axis assignment attched to your throttle axis. Just a thought. Please carry on!

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)