Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Nasty random re-boot problem - help please!

Hi allIf this is the wrong thread, sorry, please move it.Here's the problem. I've been running FS2002 Pro on WinME without any real problems since it first came out. Now something really irritating has developed. Every now and then when selecting an a/c or, occasionally, when hitting F9 to start FS NAV, my computer will re-boot itself.Maybe a coincidence, but this problem started after installing the drivers for a modem which came with my broadband package (which works fine).Any ideas on how to solve this would be much appreciated, but I'm not a computer expert which, from a positive point of view, means I do very little 'fiddling and tweaking'.Thanks in advance!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest Matt Johnson

Could be overheating, or memory gone bad. Memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) is your friend for the latter, for the former check the temperature in the BIOS and see if it is alarmingly high after a reboot.It could also be software, I expect WinME has a "reboot on crash" system which cleverly logs the crash somewhere. However, on that kernel I'd not have a clue where...--Matt

MattThanks for your help. I'll try the memtest86 thingy.What's a kernal?Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Umm...how do I check temp in BIOS (what's BIOS)? :-)

Gavin Barbara

Guest daveg4otu

"Umm...how do I check temp in BIOS (what's BIOS)? :-)"Start the PC. As soon as you see the Hardware detection screen ( listing your Hard Drives etc) hit Delete and the BIOS screen should open . If your PC is a "Branded" one such as Gateway, Time or similar - you may not get a Hardware screen but a Logo screen with an instruction " hit xx for setup "- xx may be F1 F2 or some other key.Once BIOS screen opens select "Hardware Monitor - using the up/down keys and Enter. This will( should) show System and CPU temps and also voltages.Having looked - exit (normally using F10 in most BIOS- but the instructions will be there somewhere).A much easier way of doing all this is to download and install Motherboard Monitor 5 which will give you continuous readout of all voltages and temps and will also keep a text log for examination after a crash.Dave

I don't think it's a temp or memory problem.Thanks for your help guys!Gavin

Gavin Barbara