Sign in to follow this  
Outrage

Is it possible to record custom voices for Multicrew?

Hey everyone.

I'm new to Multicrew and was considering buying it. I like the looks of it, I'm interested in planes like the Coolsky DC-9 that FS2Crew isn't likely to do in the near future. I've used FS2Crew a ton, but like I said, I want voice control for planes that don't have the FS2Crew treatment.

One thing that makes me hesitant about MCE is how despite using voicepacks, it still seems kind of unnatural and robotic. Is there a way I could have my friend record individual voice lines for events "Gear down, three green, etc", instead of the word-by-word way that MCE seems to do it?

Thanks,

-Mac

Yes, you can record your own voices. You need the "voxrec recording kit".

Ask the developer for it. The program is very easy to use.

Having used MCE for several years, I appear to be somewhat used to the way the first officer and flight engineer reply. I confess I don't notice any "robotic" voices.

The big difference with MCE over the other program is that you can script whatever you want and although replies are recorded from voice actors, there is a selection of responses. That way, you can get a variety of replies. There is a variability over what's said, its not running a constantly repeated pre recorded set of lines.

To answer your question about having your own personalised voices "reply" to your voice commands, well yes you can. I have many extra sound files "playing" during flows.

You would have to place some Vox Scripts, as reply scripts, into the aircraft that you want to fly. Get your friend to record some .wav files, add these to the sound folder and use the "sound" add feature in the Vox Script editor.

Fairly straight forward once you get used to the Vox Script interface.

You would for example say, "gear up" which (as well as raising the gear) would trigger your "gear up script", which would contain a "play sound" command from your .wav recordings. The replay sound can be literally anything, from "gear up three greens", to " gear is comming up captain, (pause) ok, we have three greens". Recorded by whomever you like!

You could construct a whole conversation that way. Just have the Vox Script "play" the .wav file you select from your own recordings.

I suppose its that creativity that sets MCE apart from anything else.

The other program I have used in the past, with any flexibility, is Voice Attack. But that doesn't give you access to practically every switch in the flight deck, although you can program the mouse to move and click on switches in a 2d pit!:-)

Hope that helps.

Regards

David

Just a reminder, custom commands must be different from any existing ones, therefore "gear up" would trigger the built-in command. And the reply is "gear coming up" as a nicely recorded sentence, not constructed word by word.

In fact our voice packs are massive. No less than 4500 recordings. 65% of them full sentences, and others as separate recordings to construct replies on the fly.

How else can you do it when you want to give users the option to have custom flows or build their own checklist to match their real world airline SOPs.

As Djembe stated above, should you wish to have your friend as the first officer, get in touch with support and we would send you the script and house built recording tool so all he has to do is speak into a microphone.

There are 8 FO voice packs with the 9 th works in progress. Each able to act as either FO or Flight engineer.

Here is one video example with a custom 3 way checklist. Can you actually believe William acting here as a flight engineer, is reading the checklist word by word? Yes folks, that's support for CS 1011 Tristar coming out soon. :wink:

Holy crap guys, thanks a ton. Never expected this awesome of support!

Definitely going to buy this, can't wait to use it on my DC-9!

On the Tristar video, it still sounded a little word for word though, Now Set Altimeters... So you're saying I could record my own voice lines that would make it sound more like Now set altimeters... , so it sounds like it flows off the tongue a little better? 

The answers may be composed of a single recording. but other answers need to gather some recordings to be created, otherwise the recording process would be eternal. The recordings needed to create a set would grow exponentially if you want a single record per sentence.

So you're saying I could record my own voice lines that would make it sound more like Now set altimeters.

Technically possible to override individual items with own audio. However, it's hard to get rid of the existing co-pilot voice pack because....

For example, when you say "Set speed two five zero", and hear "speed two five zero set" obviously, this will always involve 4 or more recordings played in sequence (even with the other voice based program).

And you cannot script that, which means you end-up with 2 co-pilot voices in the cockpit, one dealing with dials and another one for flipping switches. Not realistic.

The create your own voice commands and play your own audio is best used for interacting with pursers for example. Let's say you're a real world airline pilot. Get some typical recordings of your airline Cabin Crew operation, then speak whatever you want (trigger sentence) to get them to start whatever crew briefing you want.

Video above only shows Lorna (Northern UK accent) and William (Oz accent).

Just like in real life, people get on with some people more than they do with others, hence the need to provide multiple voice packs, so everyone can select the FO he's more comfortable with.

There is Trav and Bill from USA (For instance, some find Trav Fantastic, others can't stand him especially when he tells them off for straying from assigned heading or altitude :smile: )

Clive, UK accent

Dieter has typical German accent. Very good as a Lufthansa co-pilot

Jean-Claude, Swiss French

Andy, British accent. Sounds like a butler to some.

Coming next, Stuart (UK)

Really, it's nothing like using TTS voices at all.

Also, with this flexible design, instead of you saying "Landing lights on" and hearing FO reply "Landing lights on" every time, you will randomly get one of these variations...

Landing lights on

Landing lights turned on

Landing lights switched on

Landing lights now selected on

Landing lights activated

Landing lights now on captain

....more variations

Landing lights already on (if it happens to already be in ON status)

Landing lights definitely on

....more variations

That's why you end-up flying countless hours and never be quite sure what FO will utter, which gives some illusion of AI.

The answers may be composed of a single recording. but other answers need to gather some recordings to be created, otherwise the recording process would be eternal. The recordings needed to create a set would grow exponentially if you want a single record per sentence.

But am I still able to do this, even though the recording process would take awhile? There isn't a set time limit on how long a recording can be, is there?

Anyway, the program is not design for do that.

But you can use any TTS voice! If you find some TTS for windos that sound good for you, you can use it.

And have you ever experienced "Lorna" telling you off for any bad flying..?:-):-)

and Clive can be just as critical!

Priceless and puts you in your place!

Great fun as well.:-)

LOL!