Sign in to follow this  
bobterri

Default scenery bleed through

Recently I purchased a new computer to replace my old-faithful (I7 950) because of motherboard failure.  The new one came with Windows 10 installed.  I installed FSX-SE (had to run it in Windows 8 compatibility mode), configured Nvidia Inspector.  It runs great, but then  I began to install some freeware airport addons, mainly Ray Smith's.  I noticed that some of the default scenery is bleeding through.  I tried to change my texture resolutions to 30 cm, 60 cm, etc.  None of the changes makes a difference.  I have about a dozen payware airports installed and have not noticed any bleed-through on them.

Any help? 

The new rig: 17-4790k, GTX 970, 8 gigs of ram.

Bob Bressert

Interesting development!  I decided to try to install a freeware airport a little differently than per the instructions.  I had tried Ray Smith's KDTW scenery and had the bleedthrough on a prior installation.  I created a KDTW folder and placed it directly in the addon scenery folder.  I created a scenery folder within the newly created KDTW folder and put KDTW_RS.BGL and KDTW_CVX.bgl folders in that folder.  I put the KDTW_OBJ.BGL file in the /scenery/global/scenery folder per his normal installation instructions.  I then activated the KDTW scenery after starting up FSX-SE and bingo!  No bleed through.

I tried it on KCMH scenery I had created in ADE which had bled through before and this time it too, using this new approach, had no bleed through.

It sounds to me like it's a permission's issue, which I need to research and try to change.  It may be a Windows 10 scenario.  I'm not sure.

Bob Bressert

Can  you post a picture and/or a better description of the "bleed through"?

It sounds to me like conflicting addons, not permissions

If we could see what you see it might be easier to troubleshoot.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Following this with great interest. I've had the same problem even with some payware airports mainly showing the default control tower. I've been told it's caused by double AFCAD but I have no idea how to fix that. Hope you find a solution!

Vic green

This is the system I have used over the past three versions of FS (see image below). All freeware airports are under ....\FSX\Addon Scenery\scenery and then each is in its own folder. Each airport folder contains two subfolders, scenery  and texture.  I do that even if there are no contents for the texture folder. Just keeps my folder structure consistent.  I'd like to say I have seen no bleedthrough, but I will soon post my own topic here looking for help for primarily major sports stadiums where the stadium in default scenery shows through and creates an odd double image with Megascenery MSE2 and MSE UltraRes city sceneries.  

Scenery%20tree-X2.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'd like to post some pictures, but as I stated above I've found a way to deal with it. So far the method I related in my second post is working and I am getting zero bleed through. It's certainly not the way the authors of these sceneries intended but it's working.

Bob Bressert

I'd like to post some pictures, but as I stated above I've found a way to deal with it. So far the method I related in my second post is working and I am getting zero bleed through. It's certainly not the way the authors of these sceneries intended but it's working.

I am happy you found a workaround however I am afraid you put a bandaid on to stop the bleeding without fixing the wound.

Wish I knew what "bleed through" was. Are you talking about ground textures?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Was it something like this?  Last night I posted a new topic about this but seems no one has read it yet. 0 reads. Just wondering if this is similar to what bobterri was seeing.

2016-2-3_11-14-27-70-L.jpg

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Doggone it, I wish I had taken a picture!  Let me describe an example.  I installed Ray Smith's KDTW scenery just as he said to.   KDTW_RS.BGL and KDTW_CVX.bgl in /Addon Scenery/scenery.  KDTW_OBJ.BGL file in the /scenery/global/scenery.

What I had after doing so, after loading up KDTW in FSX-SE parked at D8 at the new D-terminal was the new terminal from Ray Smith's Scenery but the gates and tarmac bleeding through from the default scenery.  The old terminal was gone, but as I said, the gates were still there.

Bob Bressert

Was it gates that were there or was it (just) the telescoping jetways?  If jetways, the only experience similar to that I have had has been with FSDreamTeam payware sceneries at KORD, KLAX, and KDFW.  At times I have loaded those airports and found only freestanding jetways. No buildings. A really odd looking experience. The cure for that was to go into couatl, the much loathed addon manager, and refresh the license registration for the given airport.  Those FSDreamTeam airports are the only places I have had that happen.

Not sure what would cause that in your case if you do not have those installed.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

I do have FSDreamTeam's KLAX and KDFW installed, but at KDTW it's just Ray Smith's.  And by the way, you're right, it was the jetways not gates.  The tarmac from the default scenery was also bleeding through.  I agree I'm just putting a bandaid on a problem.  I just don't know what else to do.  Somehow, apparently, FSX is recognizing the KDTW_OBJ.BGL file in /scenery/global/scenery but not KDTW_RS.BGL and KDTW_CVX.bgl in /Addon Scenery/scenery.  

I still suspect it's because FSX-SE is installed on Windows 10.  I never had this problem before when FSX was installed on Windows XP and Windows 7. 

Oh, and it was doing it before I had any payware scenery installed.  

Bob Bressert

Because of another issue, I decided to reinstall FSX-SE.  I had the same issue.  It's as if FSX-SE either can't see the .BGL files or won't read them in  /Addon Scenery/scenery, though it sees them in /Addon Scenery.

Again, this is my main gaming computer and it is a Windows 10 computer.  I have a laptop running Windows 7 on which I installed FSX-SE and it has no problems seeing .BGL files in the /Addon Scenery/scenery folder.

Bob Bressert