Sign in to follow this  
Janov

Working with WED to improve your airports

Great work Jan, I've pinned this topic for future reference  :smile:

Ok, here goes nothing :wink: :

I hope I make at least some sense...I hope for some feedback, as I plan to do more tutorials on WED in the future...

Nicely done video. Well explained. Will give it a go. Thanks again

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Not understanding I guess. I have a  small airport that I made and want to remove a hard surface in game road that should be dirt. I hit the exlusion button, selected roads from the drop down list and sized the rectangle on part of the hard surface road for a test. In game the road was still there with no part missing where I set the rectangle.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Hi Paul,

as I briefly mentioned in the video, roads networks are made up of "nodes". Usually wherever there is an "end", a "turn" or a "crossing" in a road, there will be a node. Now you need to exclude the node - if you just try to cut out a piece of the road in between nodes, it is not going to work. So removing road is surgery with an axe - either you miss, or you do a lot of damage...

Let me know if this helped, or we need to look further...

Jan

Update: found the node by luck and the road is now gone. Thanks for your video and help.

Thanks,, one problem is that I cannot see the road in WED. The stock hard surface roads do not show up so I will be guessing at the node points.

Here is the road in the sim and in WED..The hard suface road leading into the airport and connecting with the dirt should also be dirt and not hard suface. I want to remove or cover that road to make it match the dirt road.

r2_zps7ozbf4km.jpg

In WED road does not appear

r1_zpsztysagyp.jpg

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Thanks Jan,

You covered so much of the WED program over and above the Exclusion Zone.  I really appreciate this insight that hadn't (as far as I know) been published anywhere before.  Now, I just need to play with it a while!

John

John Wingold

Update: found the node by luck and the road is now gone. Thanks for your video and help.

Thanks,, one problem is that I cannot see the road in WED. The stock hard surface roads do not show up so I will be guessing at the node points.

Here is the road in the sim and in WED..The hard suface road leading into the airport and connecting with the dirt should also be dirt and not hard suface. I want to remove or cover that road to make it match the dirt road.

r2_zps7ozbf4km.jpg

In WED road does not appear

r1_zpsztysagyp.jpg

Hi Paul,

yes, it is a bit of hit and miss - I would try to make an exclusion zone that "just" about covers that little kink in the access road that comes off of the main road. You can place a small patch of taxiway there to help you adjust - make one of its edges line up with the edge of your exclusion zone, then export the airport and load x-plane. Now you "see" where your exclusion zone runs (little trick). Now move it closer and closer to the road, until you cut off that access road at the junction.

Now you can make a "road" out of a taxiway with the surface "dirt", "gravel" or "dry lakebed" - see how that works out.

Cheers, Jan

All fixed,,thanks.

r3_zpsmp2nn3gt.jpg

• Upvote 1

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

U have my attention and my subscription to ur channel.

Ur very thorough and concise which I like.

4 me the WED is just hard to learn as I have only 1/2 of a brain.

thanks for your efforts in this regards.

Great tutorial.  I've been using WED for simple things for months and I learned a couple of things that I didn't know.

I want to add my thanks to Jan for this series.

I have already made a few airports but after viewing the first 3 videos I learned new things from each of them.

An excellent series and very useful.

Regards Pete :good:

• Upvote 1

I tried this,..I started clicking stuff and ended up backing away slowwwwwwwwly LOL. Thanks for the tutorial, now maybe i'd give it another shot.

• Upvote 1