Sign in to follow this  
alderon57

P3D v3.0 and future releases?

I did a quick search of topics, but did see this discussed...

I currently fly v3.0.  Everything is fine.  When v3.2 comes out, can I install it alongside my existing setup?  Can you share scenery between two versions?

Nothing urgent; just curious.

Ron

I don't believe that is possible.  You can only have one copy of P3Dv3 installed unless you purchased a developer's license which allows two copies.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

If you do a full install - you have to uninstall the old version. If you do an update, it will overwrite the old version so No, you cannot run them both.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Why would you want to?

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

OK, that makes sense.  Thanks.

Pete, besides comparing features, I would have set up one with my customized GEX; and one with FTX / Orbx.

Like I said, just curious...

Ron

Contrary to what has been said: you can have 2 instances of P3D, as long as you do full installs.

I currently have P3Dv2.5 and P3Dv3.1. And they share common sceneries.

Pierre

Pierre

Contrary to what has been said: you can have 2 instances of P3D, as long as you do full installs.

Pierre

You can install P3D 2.X and 3.X on the same computer, but not two 3.X versions, which was the original question.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Pierre

Those are completely different LM Products, each with its own licence and Serial Number.  The OP was asking about 3.0 and 3.2, ie the same Product.  Regards.

M.

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy

Actually, Pierre is correct as long as they are different versions. I do not believe you can have two with the same registration number active simultaneously. Having 2.5 and 3.0 would work but having 3.0 and 3.1 would not if I understand LM correctly.

edit: not fast enough!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Beats me why on earth you'd want two versions .... That's just gobbling up valuable disk space

Beats me why on earth you'd want two versions .... That's just gobbling up valuable disk space

Long time since disk space was an issue... 

I can think of many reasons to have different versions:

1) You can use one to test addons, so they don't fk up your main simulator.

2) You can run one with GEX textures and one with ORBX textures which gives two very different environments

3) You can use one as a development or BETA testing platform, and the other for playing

4) You can use one for freeware only, then have all your payware stuff in 3.X. 

5) You can use an old version for those addons which haven't been made ready for 3.X yet. 

6) You can use on for North America scenery only, and one for Europe scenery only - will load faster than having everything in one sim, and make the scenery library more tidy....

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

:p0310:

You got it Simmerhead. Those are the reasons I have many FS setup.

Managing it is the culprit...

Pierre