Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

FSX Install Error Windows 10

Tried to install FSX Gold edition on OS Windows 10 and when I installed disk it started the prepare to install process then stopped and I got an error "1628 failed to complete installation" ? Any help on this will be appreciated.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Sounds like a read error. Clean disc? DVD reader going bad?

Thanks for the reply. Other games lode fine.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I think it's an Installshield problem. For some reason I can't seem to paste a link here but if you Google KB910816 you can find a possible fix. I had the same problem back when and that took care of it. Anyway, can't hurt to try it. Luck...

Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I think it's an Installshield problem. For some reason I can't seem to paste a link here but if you Google KB910816 you can find a possible fix. I had the same problem back when and that took care of it. Anyway, can't hurt to try it. Luck...

Doug

You are right Doug I think it is a installshield problem. Have not yet decided on how to fix this.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Have tried so many things as per internet fix's and nothing has worked with this Installshield 1628 error. I start the first install disc for fsx and the installshield starts then soon after that is when I get this 1628 installshield error?  I googled KB910816 and it wont's you to purchase Smart PC Fixer that is suppose to fix this problem. Short of purchasing PC Fixer, as I have stated, all self fixes that I have tried has not worked. Any help on this issue is appreciated. Should I try the Fixer?

Regards

Lamar Wright

I googled KB910816 and it wont's you to purchase Smart PC Fixer that is suppose to fix this problem. Short of purchasing PC Fixer, as I have stated, all self fixes that I have tried has not worked. Any help on this issue is appreciated. Should I try the Fixer?

Do not need to purchase Smart PC Fixer.  That's just another name of a commercial product that does things like in CCleaner.  So, did you try the fixes on the Microsoft link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910816 ?  They do have a fixer whereby they rename the installshield folder for you and you can try to reinstall. 

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Like Jim hinted, try CCleaner. That is a trusted free product I've used for years.

Or try manually deleting the Temp folder files. The installer may be reusing corrupt cached files in the Temp folder and causing an issue.

Do not need to purchase Smart PC Fixer.  That's just another name of a commercial product that does things like in CCleaner.  So, did you try the fixes on the Microsoft link - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910816 ?  They do have a fixer whereby they rename the installshield folder for you and you can try to reinstall. 

Best regards,

Hi Jim I tried everything with microsoft support and nothing worked. My wife has Windows 8.1 on her desktop so I loaded FSX disc 1 on her computer and the disc ran perfect right up to where you click install. I have P3DV3.1 and XPX sim on my HD and all work fine. I installed the disc set of XPX last month. I am really scratching my head on this one? 

Like Jim hinted, try CCleaner. That is a trusted free product I've used for years.

Or try manually deleting the Temp folder files. The installer may be reusing corrupt cached files in the Temp folder and causing an issue.

Hi VeryBumpy, I did the CCleaner as I have it also with no luck and deleted the Temp files, still no help.

Regards

Lamar Wright

I am really scratching my head on this one?

You're not the only one.  This is one of the most common errors reported here since FSX was first released.  Something gets caught in memory and messes up the install.  I would scan your system for corruption - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

If that does not work, you may have to do a clean install of Windows 10 (ugh!).

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Mine wouldn't install from the disk so I created an iso image of each disk then mounted them with DarmonTool LE. Installed just fine from the image.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

You're not the only one.  This is one of the most common errors reported here since FSX was first released.  Something gets caught in memory and messes up the install.  I would scan your system for corruption - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Best regards,

Best regards,

Hi Jim, thanks. I will scan my system for corruption. Speaking of corruption I do think that maybe the installshield file could be corrupt. What if I tried copying the installshield folder from my wife's computer and install it on mine? Would it matter since my OS is W10 and hers is W8.1? Just a thought. You are right I just may have to back up my stuff and do a clean install.

Mine wouldn't install from the disk so I created an iso image of each disk then mounted them with DarmonTool LE. Installed just fine from the image.

Thanks Pete, how do you do a iso image?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hi Lamar,

If there was a solution to this problem that fix everyone, then it would have surely been posted by now.  I think Pete has an excellent suggestion.  Worth trying for sure!  Here's one link that might help in making this image - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/software-tools/a/create-iso-image-file.htm

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I think I used Nero Dvd but there are lots of free software for creating an image. I even think daemon tools ( free version ) has the ability to create an image. You need a program like daemon tools to mount the image anyway ( it acts like a vurtual DVD-rom )

Let us know how you make out.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Hi Lamar,

If there was a solution to this problem that fix everyone, then it would have surely been posted by now.  I think Pete has an excellent suggestion.  Worth trying for sure!  Here's one link that might help in making this image - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/software-tools/a/create-iso-image-file.htm

Best regards,

Hi Jim, thanks so much for your help. I will do as Pete suggested and make an iso copy of the FSX disc's. Thanks for all the tips, I bookmarked them for future use. Let you know how this turns out.

I think I used Nero Dvd but there are lots of free software for creating an image. I even think daemon tools ( free version ) has the ability to create an image. You need a program like daemon tools to mount the image anyway ( it acts like a vurtual DVD-rom )

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks Pete for your help as well, you just may save me from a clean W10 install. This method reminds me that several years ago I did a clone of my whole OS with a program called Xclone. I will let you know how it goes.

Regards

Lamar Wright