Sign in to follow this  
bobrbend

Editing the a4.csv file

Lima, Peru has changed its ICAO designator from SPIM to SPJC.

Navigraph has updated their database and so flight plans have the new designator.

Because its not in RC's database, it drives RC crazy.

My question is: Can I simply change SPIM to SPJC in a4.csv without causing any harm?

Thanks.

Dan Cole

Dan Cole

No. There are several files using ICAO and when your scenery is rebuilt you'll lose your changes. The only files you can edit in a fixed database is m4.csv and f4.csv. Keep the ICAO lines in alphabetical order. Use notepad or wordpad or other text editor to edit csv files. Using Excel or other spreadsheet-database application will corrupt those files for rc. The layout of each row must be exactly maintained.

Be sure to backup both files and also rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat in a safe place outside of FS and RC. If something goes awry those may avoid a reinstall.

I recommend you change the scenery if you are using an add-on with ADE or other airport editor if it allows you to change the ICAO.

If you wish after making your scenery changes, the file f4.csv in your FS folder, which is built from your scenery as part of makerwys in the scenery rebuild can be used in place of the fixed database f4.csv in your rcv4x\data folder but save the old one as a backup. Alternately you can just replace that one line in rcv4\data\f4.csv with the in your fs folder f4.csv.

Sometimes if you can not change the ICAO code in a scenery you leave the old one in and just create a new one copying all of the attributes from the old one.

ADE lets you create a new airport and then load stock data or import from a scenery bgl various data including scenery objects..

Airport Design Editor is freeware from http://www.scruffyduck.org/ and comes with both FSX-P3D and FS9 capability. There is a learning curve but that will give you the most flexibility.

No. There are several files using ICAO and when your scenery is rebuilt you'll lose your changes. The only files you can edit in a fixed database is m4.csv and f4.csv. Keep the ICAO lines in alphabetical order. Use notepad or wordpad or other text editor to edit csv files. Using Excel or other spreadsheet-database application will corrupt those files for rc. The layout of each row must be exactly maintained.

Be sure to backup both files and also rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat in a safe place outside of FS and RC. If something goes awry those may avoid a reinstall.

I recommend you change the scenery if you are using an add-on with ADE or other airport editor if it allows you to change the ICAO.

If you wish after making your scenery changes, the file f4.csv in your FS folder, which is built from your scenery as part of makerwys in the scenery rebuild can be used in place of the fixed database f4.csv in your rcv4x\data folder but save the old one as a backup. Alternately you can just replace that one line in rcv4\data\f4.csv with the in your fs folder f4.csv.

Sometimes if you can not change the ICAO code in a scenery you leave the old one in and just create a new one copying all of the attributes from the old one.

ADE lets you create a new airport and then load stock data or import from a scenery bgl various data including scenery objects..

Airport Design Editor is freeware from http://www.scruffyduck.org/ and comes with both FSX-P3D and FS9 capability. There is a learning curve but that will give you the most flexibility.

Thanks. I'm glad I asked.

Dan Cole