Sign in to follow this  
VHOJT

FSX Loading Flight (Terrain Data etc.) suddenly very slow - help!

Hi there all,

I am at a complete loss and almost at my wit's end with this problem I am having.  FSX boots fine.  But where it used to take, say, 20-30 seconds to load a new free flight, it now takes 5 minutes or more.  I have been testing at YMHB and FAJS (both quiet airports) with no traffic, and in the default tricycle thingy.

The problem developed on my previous (very clean, low-addon and virtually unused) FSX installation, which I only installed a two months ago.  I removed it and the add-ons and reinstalled from scratch.

I reinstalled FSX, and addons one-by-one and the problem has returned the day after I have installed it.  In this installtion, it happened after I installed EZCA V1.16, but I then uninstalled EZCA and the problem is still occurring, so I am in doubt as to whether it caused it.  In the previous installtion, it happened after I installed the Aerosoft Airbus and EZCA had been working fine.  I uninstalled the Airbus and the problem persisted. 

I have tried booting FSX not allowing it load any modules, rebuilding CFG, disabling add-on scenery, disabling anti-virus etc, uninstalling add-ons etc.  The drive has defragmented last night.  FSX has its own folder in C drive, anti-virus is excluded from there, and I run it in administrator mode.

I don't know what else to try and I obviously can't reinstall every day.  I was hoping some of you on here might have some experience with the issue and/or advice?

I have included my log of the FSX install and troubleshooting process below.  The only add-ons I have are listed there.

Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Cheers,

Rudy

Log:

SECOND INSTALL (AFTER VERY SLOW LOADING TIMES FOR OLD FSX INSTALL)

-- 10/02/16 --

INSTALL FSX

SP1, SP2

**Loading times good**

Install Aerosoft Airbus

** Loading times good **

Install PMDG 737NGX

Added PMDG CFG entires WideAspect=True and HighMemFix

Installed UIAutomation Core in FSX Root folder according to PMDG instructions

** Loading times good **

Installed FTX AU + updated libraries

** Loading times good ***

-- 11/02/16 --

Installed EZCA v 1.15 then v 1.16 update

** Loading time slow!! **

Uninstalled EZCA + deleted its AppData

Rebuilt FSX.CFG

Denied FSX acccess to load any modules on start-up

Unchecked all FTX Australia pieces of scenery

Disabled real-time virus protection in Microsoft Security Essentials

Restarted computer

** No effect ** :sad:

Summary of add-ons and system specs:

FTX Australia

PMDG 737NGX

Aerosoft Airbus A320/A321

EZCA

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM etc.  Don't think system specs have much to do with it as it was working fine before.

Do you only experience this issue with FSX? Or other programs loads slowly as well? I had similar issues a few days ago, after running Windows update. Tried to check the hard disk for errors then it became fine.

Only when loading flights or starting a new flight in FSX.  The program launches fine and the computer is running normally. I'll give your suggestion a go, but I doubt it's the culprit.

Thanks for your idea,
Rudy

Problem seems to have resolved itself after more fiddling, I was still unable to isolate what was causing the problem.  Will see if it returns, which I supsect it might as I haven't found the cause.

Updated log below with details of my fiddling in case someone else who has this problem might find it useful:

SECOND INSTALL (AFTER VERY SLOW LOADING TIMES FOR OLD FSX INSTALL)

-- 10/02/16 --

INSTALL FSX

SP1, SP2

**Loading times good**

Install Aerosoft Airbus - still good

Install PMDG 737NGX

Added PMDG CFG entires WideAspect=True and HighMemFix

Installed UIAutomation Core in FSX Root folder according to PMDG instructions

** Loading times good **

Installed FTX AU + updated libraries

-- 11/02/16 --

Installed EZCA

** Loading time slow!! **

Uninstalled EZCA

Rebuilt FSX.CFG

Denied FSX acccess to load any modules on start-up

Unchecked all FTX Australia pieces of scenery

Disabled real-time virus protection in Microsoft Security Essentials

Restarted computer

** No effect **

Deleted CFG again (second/third/fourth time)

Disabled all modules except terrain loader (FTX)

Re-enabled Microsoft Security Essentials (FSX folder still excluded from real-time protection/scans)

Re-enabled all modules

12/02/16

Re-enabling FTX scenery in add-on scenery

Restart, start FSX, load Airbus - allow all modules in home screen menu.

** Load times good **

Restart FSX, try again same situation

** Load times good **

Add back PMDG HighMemFix and and Wideaspect CFG settings, try again

** Load times good **

Install EZCA in deafult directory (can't change) + 1.16 update + configure FSX with tool :S

Allow EZCA to run on FSX startup

** Loading times good **

Try computer restart, and start FSX again

** Loading times good **

Further investigations show that svchost.exe service in task manager is sometimes taking up 50% of CPU when FSX is trying to load.  Not sure how I figure out what has "launched" that particular svchost.exe instance (there are many of them at once), but I'll try and get to the bottom of it.

It appears to be due to wuaserv.dll (to do with Windows Update) running from that particular svchost.exe.  After several hours of searching and trying a million things to fix the issue (Windows update used to work fine, now it hangs when checking and has this svchost.exe/wuaserv.dll CPU usage problem), good luck to anyone trying to fix it.  Temporary solution is to disable wuauserv apparently - but then, no updates!

It appears to be due to wuaserv.dll (to do with Windows Update) running from that particular svchost.exe.  After several hours of searching and trying a million things to fix the issue (Windows update used to work fine, now it hangs when checking and has this svchost.exe/wuaserv.dll CPU usage problem), good luck to anyone trying to fix it.  Temporary solution is to disable wuauserv apparently - but then, no updates!

Maybe just disable "automatically check for updates" and do it manually every a few month. 

Yeah that'll have to be the way for the time being.  Anyway, as long as the wuauserv service is not running, CPU + FSX are happy!

Cheers,

Rudy