Sign in to follow this  
severniae

New to P3D, advice would be appreciated..

Hi all,

I've just bought P3D to try it out and wanted to ask a few questions.

I've been using FSX:SE of late and it's been great. Love the fact that SE doesn't really need any CFG tweaks.

I heard somewhere that P3D does still need tweaks (affinity mask for instance) - Is this correct for version 3.1? I'd prefer not to need to add anything into the CFG files if I can help it, but would appreciate some help either way.

Many thanks,

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

Guest Mik75

I installed my P3D 3.1 two days ago, along with FTX Global, Vector, Open LC, etc.

It runs very nicely and extremly fluid. I am having a blast with this sim, without touching the cfg file! ;-)

After testing - I've removed my "tweaked" cfg file and generated a new one. Also removed Project Lasso. Everything now running more smoothly!

No tweaks needed. Just keep those sliders at sensible levels ;)

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Same here. No tweaks. Removed the AM and Process Lasso too: got annoyed by the nag again and I don't notice any difference anyway. No tweaks = pure joy. Indeed mind those sliders: after 'years' of struggling (every now and then) I decided to get rid of my beloved extremely dense autogen (very dense now) and the water reflections (which were buggy anyway) and water detail (which I only used for a short while: looks ugly so good riddance). Life has been very good ever since.

Same here.

Using 3.1 without Config Tweaks, flying the PMDG 777 + FS2CREW, Aerosoft Airbuses, FTX Global / Vector / OpenLC, ASN, REX Softclouds and so on -> no problems at all in 4K with pretty high settings.

Some recent screenshots:

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29668649/OMDB.png

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29668647/EGLL.png

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29668648/EGLL2.png

Rethinking of the original question, I think you will always find simmers playing with tweaks because it's also a part of the simming communittee and because maybe some configuration needs it to match expectations. No offense.

Maybe Prepar3D brings back simmers that just want ,to get in the virtual air without spending time in .CFG. But you still have to experimente your own configuration with P3D sliders. These are numerous in P3D and very powerfull.

• Upvote 1

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

If you do tweak, it probably won't be beyond dabbling with affinity masks. I had to do some texture loading tweaks for 3.0, but this was fixed up in 3.1. No more laundry list of things to try and break. FSX:SE and P3D are good in that regard.

Same here. No tweaks. Removed the AM and Process Lasso too: got annoyed by the nag again and I don't notice any difference anyway. No tweaks = pure joy. Indeed mind those sliders: after 'years' of struggling (every now and then) I decided to get rid of my beloved extremely dense autogen (very dense now) and the water reflections (which were buggy anyway) and water detail (which I only used for a short while: looks ugly so good riddance). Life has been very good ever since.

Maybe Prepar3D brings back simmers that just want ,to get in the virtual air without spending time in .CFG

As long as one has HT=Off, there is only one benefit to running P3d with anything but a default AM. That benefit would be to isolate other 3rd party add-ons so that they don't share cores with P3d. And that is really only a viable option if one has a CPU with more than 4 physical processors. The best approach with P3d is no tweaking. There's enough latitude within the P3d UI to get smooth performance on anything except an ancient hardware setup.

No tweaks for me in 3.1 , and it runs very well. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I am only using the affinity mask tweak and very happy with 3.1 on my new system. On my prior build with 2.5/3.0 I did have the "laundry list" and I slowly moved away from it. I am very happy with my performance now. 

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

Just to report back.

I've had P3D a few days now, zero tweaks and getting far better frames/stability than I've ever had in FSX! Plus it looks so good!

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg