Sign in to follow this  
JLSeagull

DTG: The dawn of a new sim (and the death of the old) ?

Of course I'll pick it up and probably enjoy it, but my expectations are also scaled back a bit now. After today I'm anticipating an improved FSX just like P3D is an improved FSX. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My friends and fellow Flight Sim Enthusiasts,

There are a few of us old timers lurking about (well, ok, some of us do a bit more than lurk) who have been avid flight simmers since the dawn of this incredible genre, and we have seen a lot of changes occur in our hobby.  As one of those guys, I'd like to add my two cents and perspective.

1. Don't panic! Though it has finally dropped off recently (relatively speaking), third party developers have long supported FS9 (FS2004) far into the FSX life cycle and I feel confident the same will be true for FSX.  It takes a VERY long time for Flight Sim obsolescence to occur.

2. It's possible for 32 bit software to run on 64 bit systems,and I'm reminded that FSX Scenery (32 bit) can be converted to run on X-plane, so there is every reason to think that people who like me have invested a LOT of money in FSX Scenery may very well be able to use the scenery in the new DTG Flight Sim.  It would be a grave disservice to the community of DTG found a way to prohibit this (though certainly it's there flight sim and their call).

3. Speaking of scenery, sometime ago I relaid to DTG the idea I had by which users could RENT an Airport Scenery for a day for about $2.00 USD, and once the person had made rented the scenery say 15 times they would "own" the scenery and would not have to rent it anymore.  This IS possible on the Steam sever, and I certainly hope they took this idea into consideration.  The merits are incredible for both DTG and users.  Think about it... how many of us have purchased an airport scenery and only flew into that airport 3 or 4 times since the purchase?  It drives user cost down, and profit up for DTG.

4. Each new release in the MSFS Flight Sim franchise was a blessing, bringing to us many new and exciting features!  I'm thankful for anyone who develops for Flight Sim Community, especially since MS stopped their involvement. What I've seen time and again in over 30 years in Flight Sim is that most ANY new development is highly beneficial to our community!

5. Given the tremendously quick development of the flight sim, I'll hazard a guess that the new DTG Flight Sim may in some way be based on MS Flight.  I certainly could be wrong, but given the business deal with MS I think it's certainly within the realm of possibility.  I've not messed with Flight, so I don't know if this would be good or not.

6. Regardless of the new sim, we'll all be able use FSX/FSX:SE, and developers will continue to development FSX Addons for as long as there are people using it.

It would be incredible if DTG did something to make developing Shared Cockpit aircraft easier, or at leat continued to make default aircraft Shared Cockpit capable. Those who who fly airliners may be interested to know that there are now a number of developers implementing Shared Cockpit in their higher end airliners and due to Majestic and Aerosoft (and a few leaders in the Shared Cockpit genre (wink) the Shared Cockpit Pilot community is growing by leaps and bounds! This is certainly understandable given how incredible the experience is!  This past year we've also seen a sharp uptick in the number of people flying on VATSIM. Combine Shared Cockpit with VATSIM and it becomes the most incredible experience I've ever had in Flight Sim - and I still feel that way after flying Shared Cockpit on VATSIM for 12 years in the MD-80 Maddog, 5+ years in the Dash 8 Q400 Pro, and almost a year in the Aerosoft Airbus.  Maybe more importantly, it's the best and easiest way anyone could possibly hope for in regards to introducing someone to high end airliners and/or flying on VATSIM, regardless of the flight simulation one uses.

Thank you my friends and brother/sister flight simmers for giving me a few minutes to chime in on this.  I wish everyone Happy Flights during the upcoming weekend!

• Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Is DTG considering support for Oculus Rift? I think that would be great as it is the future of flight simmulation.

Don't forget - we've been buying "DLC" for years, we just call them add ons...

• Upvote 2

5. Given the tremendously quick development of the flight sim, I'll hazard a guess that the new DTG Flight Sim may in some way be based on MS Flight.  I certainly could be wrong, but given the business deal with MS I think it's certainly within the realm of possibility.  I've not messed with Flight, so I don't know if this would be good or not.

I agree with everything else you said and think it is well stated. But to clarify this point, it is based on FSX not MS Flight. It is a full world simulation with all or more airports than we had in FSX, unlike MS Flight

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

I wouldn't be surprised if LM would release v4 around the release time of the new DTG flightsim too.

Also 64 bit.

And probably there will be released a 32-64 bit addon converter by some company so we could keep on using many addon scenery.

New addon scenery will be released in 32/64 bit so everybody will be happy.

The idea of renting a scenery addon ans after X times having rented it it becomes yours would only work if all scenery addon developers would join that concept and there would be one renting place.

And that I do not see happening yet.

Perhaps DTG might have some scenery for rent but imho it wouldn't be large projects....

Just my 2 cents

• Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Recompiling stuff from 32bit to 64 bit is not a big deal for most of the software I know around here in our IT department (company with around 55.000 people, ~2000 IT).

So I guess Add ons (especially something like scenery) should not be the most complicated thing on this world...

So I have a good feeling about LM pushing towards 64 bit sooner or later and having all add ons 64bit-ready with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if LM would release v4 around the release time of the new DTG flightsim too.
Also 64 bit.
And probably there will be released a 32-64 bit addon converter by some company so we could keep on using many addon scenery.

Wouldn't that be something.   Good post 

And what do we say :

Yes, we can ...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Each new release in the MSFS Flight Sim franchise was a blessing, bringing to us many new and exciting features! I'm thankful for anyone who develops for Flight Sim Community, especially since MS stopped their involvement. What I've seen time and again in over 30 years in Flight Sim is that most ANY new development is highly beneficial to our community!

At the time when FSX was launched, & later, it was regarded as the 'Vista' of sims. Pretty, but a bit of a dog.

That opinion has since changed over the last 10 years.

Anyway, re the 2x releases that DTG will be releasing...

I have always said that there should be 3..

1. A basic for the novice --- DTG will be releasing a Training Sim

2 & 3, a weekend warrior sim & a hard-core sim --- They combining that for a new 64bit DX11 Sim..

Sounds good to me, they are targeting the newbies & novices, & hopefully they will migrate to a 'proper' sim, that is what we are all waiting for.

A great move, DTG! :smile: :good: :Applause:

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Also 64 bit.

Agree on this. From (rare) hints now and then one can surmise they have a 64 bit version in the backyard already. It's just a matter of time when they'll find it appropriate to release it from a technical as well as commercial point of view.

Might be version 4 already mentioned somewhere, but I even wouldn't exclude this to happen within the 3.x cycle, X-Plane did it within the 10.x cycle as well. And, while I am not at al a fan of X-plane, I admire how relatively painless this worked out.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

But more important question for me is, does LM even care about the DTG Flight Simulator at all? I don't think they will speed up working on 64 bit, because of the DTG announcements. Everyone was saying that LM is focused on the different part of the market, professionals and our community is a minority for them. 

What do you guys think? 

But more important question for me is, does LM even care about the DTG Flight Simulator at all? I don't think they will speed up working on 64 bit, because of the DTG announcements. Everyone was saying that LM is focused on the different part of the market, professionals and our community is a minority for them. 

What do you guys think? 

I agree. The Dovetail flightsimulator will be bigger than P3D very quick I believe.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

I"m very happy to have left things alone w/ 2.3 as it works just fine, I live w/in the confines of 32bit for now which is very doable if you respect it, and decided to hold pat til 64bit P3D.   Still fly almost every day and enjoy my pilot career in FSCaptain.   Not worth the $$, time, etc to move on to 32bit V3 and can see waiting until the VAS restriction is fully gone at which point it will be a good time to start w/ fresh installs of everything including maybe a new mobo and CPU though my SB-E still kicks arss and it's now getting long in the tooth!   CPU upgrades still seem too whimpy to bother.  Still on my original install of 2.3 and it's flawless and still impresses.   Hopefully about the time 64bit P3D arrives single threaded CPU performance will have magically improved significantly compared to the trusty SB-E chip.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X