Sign in to follow this  
Ricardobc

New Built for FSX/Prepar3d

Hello again! Thank you all for your advices.

I think i have the final configuration. I don't buy any monitor for now, i have an LG 24" IPS LED at home, and i want to build multi-monitor (3 max). So i will keep that LG for now and later i upgrade with time for the 3 monitors.

Final configuration:

- CPU: intel i7 6700k - 379€

- Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gameing - 146€

- RAM: Gskill RipjawsV DDR4 2800 (2x8GB) - 83,95€

- GPU: Asus GeForce GTX970 Strix OC 4GB DDR5 - 369€

- MidTower: Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition - 58,70€

- Power Supply: Seasonic M12II 620W Evo 80+ - 96,95€

- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Sata3 - 152€

- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm - 62,95€

- DVDRW: Asus DVDRW 24x - 12,95€

Total price near 1400€.

It's missing the cooler. What do you recommend?

Ricardo (Montijo, Portugal).
System: MSFS2020

NEW BUILD in process:

Intel i7 12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra, 64GB RAM DDR5, Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI, 2TB SSD Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB SSD WD SN750, 1TB SSD Kingston A2000, Corsair Hydro H150i Elite LCD, Corsair RM1000x, Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset, Corsair 5000D Airflow with 7 SP120mm RGB Elite Fans, LG 35WN65 (3440x1440), Thrustmaster Airbus Officer Pack+AddOn

take a 6600k, you'll save money for an good corsair Hydro cooling ;)

here is my spec

Processeur - Intel Core i5-6600K
Carte mère - ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming
Alimentation - Corsair RM750i 80PLUS Gold   
Mémoire - G.Skill Trident Z 16 Go (4x 4 Go) DDR4 3000 MHz CL15   
Carte graphique - ASUS GTX970 STRIX

with that rigs, P3D run btw 45-60fps on big airport with PMDG adds

6600k on Z170 Pro Gaming can Oc very easily to 4.6-4.8 on turbo mode with only 1.32v and +-50°c with an old Corsair Hydro H100

Fabian Fuchs  belgium-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gi

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Cooler.... depends what you like...  if you don't want a huge cooler in there consider a smaller Corsair series "liquid" cooler.  H50 is great for a budget: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h50-quiet-cpu-cooler

Otherwise the Noctua D15's are still the high end of air cooling:

http://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15.html

Just make sure the Noctua or any air cooler fits over your ram heat spreaders ok....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Martin,

This PSU was recommended by a friend of mine. He told me that it should be enough to my system. But do you recomend other?

Thank you

Yep, as I said in my first post... 620 watts is fine, perfectly adequate. And Seasonic are a dependable make.

However, as "vortex 681" rightly said... you can indeed get a gold certified, 700 watt PSU by EVGA with a 7 year warranty for very little extra money. It's also fully modular and EVGA are a reliable make. Gold certified as opposed to bronze won't save you anything noticeable on your electricity bill though, the savings are small but for hardly any extra money you'd be daft not to.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-evga-supernova-750-g1-full-modular-80plus-gold-psu

It's true though that many enthusiasts go for higher wattage. I went for 850 watts, but I did that not because it was essential,  I did it because I was considering potential future upgrades. Also I could afford it.

The other consideration is that PSU's tend to be at their most efficient at approximately 50% of max load. Another reason why somewhat higher wattage is advantageous. But don't get hung up on that, it's no big deal, the savings on your electricity bill are minuscule.

The other consideration is single rail or multi-rail. Seasonic PSU's are single rail, as are the likes of Corsair, EVGA etc. On the other hand, Enermax, Antec and some others are multi-rail. I prefer multi-rail as there's less chance of a failed PSU damaging other components in your system. But again, a single rail PSU is just a capable as multi-rail, and they do have other protection mechanisms other than OCP. So don't get too hung up on that either, it's personal choice.

It's missing the cooler. What do you recommend?

I'm not a fan of all in one water coolers. You might be and that's fine. For me, the risk of leaks and pump failures puts me off. 

My cooler of choice is the amazing Noctua NH-D15S. Don't be put off by only one fan, there's only two degrees of difference between one fan and two.

Hello,

I bought almost all parts used via ebay. My configuration is following:

- Corsair Obsidian 550D

- Asus de luxe with i7-4960 oc with 4,5GHz

- 32GB Quad channel RAM DDR-3, 2100 ( 32 is an investment in hopefully upcoming 64-bit simulation)

- GTX 980 (before I tried with 2xGTX970) with three 22" and one 40" screens

- 1 SSD Sata-3 (120 GB) for OS

- 1 SSD Sata-3 (500 GB) for flight simulation (only P3D v3.1)

- 1 HHD for Backup (usually off)

- PSU Platin 860 Watts (stability, short circuit protections, possible extention: second GTX)

- 4x Noctua 140 fans

- 2x Noctua 120 fans

- DVD

Cooling the CPU with Kraken X60 with 2 Noctua 140 fans instead of the standard fans.

Result:

- Absolutely quite system, runs now more than one year without any problems even in the summer with high room temperature.

- P3D settings with high till max values, expecially for seneries

Yako

I have a Titan X and still can use more on 5,000$ dual loop water cooling system

That's because there is no direct correlation between the amount of money a person spends and the performance realized. :smile:

As an example: If I buy a GTX980 titan for $1000 it will not perform better than the same GTX 980 titan if I only paid $500.

Also you spent $5k of which ~$2.5k were  on case, mods and cooling. While looking super kool, and offering entertainment of assembly (which adds personal value), offers little in performance gain.

Not to rain on anybody's parade, however I wanted to add for perspective.  

• Upvote 1

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

While looking super kool, and offering entertainment of assembly (which adds personal value), offers little in performance gain.

Way wrong - My cpu never goes above 35 degrees and my Titan X never goes above 26 degrees after two hours of flying in P3D so your math does not add up  :wink: this all adds up to way more performance 

Heat is the biggest killer of performance so looks to me that I have taken care of that issue resulting in better performance which cant be denied 

I do agree that a 980TI would be the better value especially if you want two of them

Rich Sennett

Guys, you ara fantastic. Thanks for every tip.

I will make a stupi question (i think). I have in my living room a 50" Philips LED FullHD and i'm thinling to buy a new 55 or 60". Can i use this LED and conect it to the new computer? FSX or Prepar3d will have any problema with this Philips?

I don't know the correct model, i'm away of my country because i work in Angola, but i'm sure that it's a LED FullHD.

Regards,

Ricardo

Ricardo (Montijo, Portugal).
System: MSFS2020

NEW BUILD in process:

Intel i7 12700K, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra, 64GB RAM DDR5, Gigabyte RTX 3080 TI, 2TB SSD Samsung 980 PRO, 1TB SSD WD SN750, 1TB SSD Kingston A2000, Corsair Hydro H150i Elite LCD, Corsair RM1000x, Corsair Virtuoso SE Headset, Corsair 5000D Airflow with 7 SP120mm RGB Elite Fans, LG 35WN65 (3440x1440), Thrustmaster Airbus Officer Pack+AddOn

Way wrong - My cpu never goes above 35 degrees and my Titan X never goes above 26 degrees after two hours of flying in P3D so your math does not add up  :wink: this all adds up to way more performance 

Heat is the biggest killer of performance so looks to me that I have taken care of that issue resulting in better performance which cant be denied

Not sure I agree. Heat is only a problem if it's actually limiting how much your components can be pushed. A modern CPU running at 60 degrees C shouldn't perform any worse than the same CPU at 30 degrees C. The only time the performance is significantly affected is if the CPU starts to throttle because of high temperatures and this would typically only start to happen when approaching about 100 degrees C. Here's an interesting article about the effect of temperature on Intel CPU performance - https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-Temperature-on-Intel-CPU-Performance-606/.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Heat will reduce signal integrity and increase "soft errors" ... but the purpose of water/air cooling is to allow higher voltage and and higher clocks vs. air only cooling.  You can extend OC more by going with water chillers but need to deal with condensation.  Beyond that is peltier cooling, liquid nitrogen, liquid helium, etc. ... all provide more heat exchange so that higher voltages can be used and hence high clocks.

So yes, improving cooling of components will increase OC potential and higher performance.

As far as cost, not really debatable ... the "value" of that OC advantage is per individual.  But it is an advantage.  I spent about $750 on my dual loop but doesn't look anywhere near as nice as Rich's setup. 

Cheers, Rob.

Heat will reduce signal integrity and increase "soft errors" ... but the purpose of water/air cooling is to allow higher voltage and and higher clocks vs. air only cooling.  You can extend OC more by going with water chillers but need to deal with condensation.  Beyond that is peltier cooling, liquid nitrogen, liquid helium, etc. ... all provide more heat exchange so that higher voltages can be used and hence high clocks.

So yes, improving cooling of components will increase OC potential and higher performance.

As far as cost, not really debatable ... the "value" of that OC advantage is per individual.  But it is an advantage.  I spent about $750 on my dual loop but doesn't look anywhere near as nice as Rich's setup. 

Cheers, Rob.

Sure it does Rob - Your rig looks great

Rich Sennett

Cheers, Rob.

In principle, I agree with what you say. However, for a given clock speed, whether the CPU is at 30 degrees or 60 degrees shouldn’t make any significant difference to the absolute performance at that clock speed. As long as the maximum temperatures are reasonable, just having a cooler chip doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better. The only real advantage you get from being able to run at lower temperatures is that it gives you the potential for a greater overclock. With recent CPUs, the maximum possible overclock seems to be limited as much by the manufacture of the chip as the temperature it runs at.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Hello,

my CPU can be overclocked without any special knowledge via the Asus Board up to 5 GHz. I came to the conlusion that the range between the 4.5GHZ, permanent used, up to 5Ghz doesn't make a sense in my configuration. The temperature is in average  anywhere between 35°C and max 60°C in summer time with a room temperature of 27°C. This is more then comfortable for this 6-Core CPU.

Concerning the full HD 50" LED, this should work. I use an 40" LED HD as middle screen. The distance between my eyepoint and the screen is appr. 1.40m, which is for HD perfect! Left and right screens are 22". Using widescreen mode under P3dv3 is  perfect image. My GTX 980 runs with a lot of max settings (scenery) with no problems.

Yako 

hether the CPU is at 30 degrees or 60 degrees shouldn’t make any significant difference to the absolute performance at that clock speed

The less variance in cold to hot the less component fatigue ... as thermal equilibrium isn't achieved when loads are constantly changing, minimizing that temp variance reduces this problem.  Also, another issue is electromigration (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration) due to high temps.

Cheers, Rob.

"vortex6781" is correct! 

Issues like temperature variance and electromigration, although real phenomenon,  aren't significant issues within the 30 - 60 degree range, or a somewhat wider range. The adverse effects of temperature variance and elctromigration within these normal temperature ranges, have minimal impact on CPU life span. Before such issues become significant, all of us would have replaced our components many times over. CPU lifespan is measured in thousands of hours, within the normal temperature range vortex6781 refers to.

Intel designed their CPU's to run within the normal temperature range, 60-70 degrees is within the CPU's design parameters. CPU lifespan at these temperatures is perfectly sufficient and minimal degradation occurs.

Close to TJ Max Rob's opinion is more likely to be valid.  Degradation more likely.

Way wrong - My cpu never goes above 35 degrees and my Titan X never goes above 26 degrees after two hours of flying in P3D so your math does not add up   :wink: this all adds up to way more performance 

"After" flying for 2 hours in P3D... did you mean "during" the flight, under load?

If your CPU never goes above 35 degrees, under load, then clearly, in regard to being temperature limited, you have a truck load of extra performance at your finger tips. So not sure why you aren't overclocking Rich, or if you are overclocking, why not more? Are you limited by voltage, is that it? 

If you aren't overclocking yet, but are highlighting how low your temps are at stock frequency, then clearly Rob's comments regarding electromigration and temperature variance don't apply anyway. As your temps will be higher when you do overclock.

More info required.

Regardless of the above, Richards PC is a masterpiece, a work of art... love it!

• Upvote 1