Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

DTG Flight School and Simulator Announcement

64 bit brings fluid smooth fligh

No, that will certainly not be the case. The sim will not gain any more fps, and it will not look any different than 32bit. Since release of P3D v3, also OOMs should be a matter of the past.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

No, that will certainly not be the case. The sim will not gain any more fps, and it will not look any different than 32bit. Since release of P3D v3, also OOMs should be a matter of the past.

I think you meant to quote Tui737 not me, as I agree with you.

Tom Cain

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Didn't RR state when P3D V3 was released that intelligent coding was far far more important than 64 bit? I am still in the sceptical camp with regards to this. I value the opinion of likes of PMDG and Peter Dowson when it comes to things like this, certainly more than I do of certain YouTube content creators who seem to be peddling this as it is going to be awesome, and all before any details have been released! Hmmmmm.

Anyway in the mean time I will continue to use P3D and XP10, and await the verdict from the quality 3rd party addon providers as to their opinion on DTG's new platform.

David Thwaites

64bit is only part of the answer, and it comes with a lot of caveats.

Directx12 is where you should be hyped, in my opinion. I dont know how close it is for p3d - but big FPS leaps possible and on the way - and all with the hardware you have right now - providing you're not running an old VIC20.

• Upvote 1

providing you're not running an old VIC20.

Dang.

Agree, the scenery guy will figure out how to cram their GB of scenery into that additional space pretty quickly.  The simulator platform itself uses a modest amount of RAM compared to scenery, and RAM is not a limit to performance. Unloading work to the GPU which are usually better at this than CPUs and some using GDDR5 memory now... going to DX12 might be a big step.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes I can see that pushing as much as possible to the GPU is what needs to happen mainly. Now for people who are far more clever than I am with regards to these things, is a 64bit simulator going to make any difference with regards to performance or is it simply a matter of creating a sim that doesn't suffer from OOM? See I have only ever had one OOM error which is why I'm not that obsessed with 64bit. If you have a sim that dumps the data it doesn't need any more from memory and you have addons efficiently coded then surely 64bit is just a nice to have? Good FPS, and high fidelity addons which look good are what we all want isn't it?

David Thwaites

Do you have access to, or inside knowledge of, these new sims to enable you to speak with such apparent authority or are you speculating?

Andy Lawton

64bit is only part of the answer, and it comes with a lot of caveats.

Directx12 is where you should be hyped, in my opinion. I dont know how close it is for p3d - but big FPS leaps possible and on the way - and all with the hardware you have right now - providing you're not running an old VIC20.

Both 64bit and DX12 are important without each you cannot have a stable future platform. And asking everyone to now start buying addons all over again, will mean there must be enough positives to use it in the future. -David Lee

Both 64bit and DX12 are important without each you cannot have a stable future platform. And asking everyone to now start buying addons all over again, will mean there must be enough positives to use it in the future. -David Lee

DFS, or DFSchool are not going to be DX12, they will be DX11 Apps.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Its really sad they are going with DX11, and that's only because of the Windows 7 users. DX12 have a lot of new nice features, it can do things that is not possible with DX11.​

DX11=All about the single core. And what I mean with it is that core nr 1 on the processor is the only core that do the talking with the GPU.

DX12 can also do split frame rendering with multiple GPUs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyy7Tk-GBs video from the AMD guys explaining ALOT what DX12 can really do.

This also mean with DX12 that those who love AMD builds finally could have a awesome flight sim experience. I'm sure many would love to build a sim with AMD's (cheap hardware). Only reason why NVidia today outperform AMD is because of driver optimizations when on DX11

So in the end it seems like doing DirectX11 and reaching out to the (lazy,stubborn) Windows 7 users is more important than going with new technology that can really take fully advantage of your hardware. And new hardware is coming soon. Next gen AMD and Nvidia. New gen CPU and GPUs might even require Windows 10 to fully utilize the new hardware.

Hopefully DTG will design DFS in such a way that they can upgrade to DX12 easily when Windows 10 becomes more widely used, to a point that the risk of loss of sales base is minimal.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

those (lazy,stubborn) Windows 7 users

How dare you! I work hard at P3d on my windows 7 system ;-)

Jay

I remember some time ago Rob posting this. Luckily I was able to dig it up. I wont read into it too much and by no means is it a firm commitment to the new platform as we know the SDK is still not finalized by DTG along with the licensing terms, but it is still contextual. 

I've been developing products for various simulation platforms since 1993.  In that time I have seen many bold ideas for simulators meet the harsh, burning reality of capital financing.

Unless/until a platform is ready to go to market, it isn't worth paying much attention to.  The easiest part of any flightsim development is the production of some screen grabs and a website full of breathless, wordy, hope.  The hard part comes when you actually have to make it live up to all the promises in such a way that it can support the goals and ambitions you lay out.

Our products take upwards of two years to produce, so you won't see PMDG running off after a dream-and-a-song until we know for certain the platform will survive long enough to be born and then learn how to walk and run.

I appreciate the compliment on my point of view being pragmatic, so I hope this reply doesn't sound negative by contrast.  I have long said that Microsoft leaving this genre was going to be the best thing that could possibly happen to us in terms of new technology- and with the advent of Prepar3D beginning to mature and Dovetail beginning to push off in the direction of building a new platform, I think we are in for a fantastic decade ahead. 

At PMDG our money is firmly on Dovetail Games for the simming side and Prepar3D for the enterprise side of our business.  We will shortly be adding X-Plane to our repetoir, and if this new dreamscape can prove itself over the next few years, then perhaps we add a fourth... 

Only time will tell. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Proud member of the Lazy Stubborn Windows 7 Club reporting for duty :wink:

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Proud member of the Lazy Stubborn Windows 7 Club reporting for duty :wink:

I'm right there with you. Front and Center.

• Upvote 1

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators